“Prince Gastronome”

Hummus Bros Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #50 of 231 Restaurants in Prince George
Price range: US$11 - US$19
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar, International, Spanish, Contemporary, Pub, Middle Eastern, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

When someone is really good at something they do on their own, something they know implicitly, it's hard for an outsider to compete. If you like it a certain way--a specific technique you've mastered through years of trial and error--it's hard for anyone to show you an alternative. Additionally, you might find it frustrating if someone offers to do it for you. In fact, the act itself could just be an exercise in restraint as you tolerate something you know you can do better.

Such is hummus (what were you thinking of?). I was first offered a hummus recipe in my teens but kept away from making it on my own for many years until returning recently. Knowing its low creation cost, I now refuse to purchase any coming from a plastic container, affixed reduced sticker or not. I know which combination of ingredients provides me with the most satisfaction. I like a little extra garlic, a dash more olive oil. I prefer ground black pepper. I toss in a few whole coriander seeds down the blender for good measure (I'll probably post it later in the week). So Hummus Brothers, assuming their names aren't some tricky deception, should boast considerable skill to compete with my own.

Little did I know said tricky deception was more accurate…for across three menus, Sunday brunch, lunch and dinner, I could only found one entry that contained actual hummus (dinner—we went for lunch). In their defense, Hummus Brothers does have the subtitle claiming it a tapas bar. However, I was initially surprised at the lack of selection…of anything. I had commented previously on the reduced variety with menus at North 54 and White Goose, but at this rate of decline, I imagine the next place will just serve you a slice of whatever animal was dragged in on the morning, not even giving you the option of pasta or rice. With only seventeen options covering tapas, entrees, and salads, I found it personally disappointing that I and my entire group of four all ordered hamburgers, something I personally swore I would never do on this exercise.

As for tapas, with literally hundreds to choose from, the brothers reduced it to a scarce five options (dinner has 15). We ordered two, mushroom risotto balls and pemberton potato skins. I checked, "pemberton" means absolutely nothing. I found both dishes acceptable but not worthy to reach escape velocity. My sister, brother-in-law, and mother all "accidentally" ordered salad (long and uninteresting story as to why) which was the best thing of the meal—a feta and orzo mélange with olives and basil. Three of us had the Spanish burger, which I will admit was one of the better burgers I've ever had, but that doesn't say much. I used to always order hamburgers when my parents took me out. Now the only time I ever eat them are at barbeques. I find the act of ordering a burger at a restaurant that doesn't have ambiguously colored caricatures painted on the walls personally wasteful.

The interior of Hummus Brothers again matched the precedent of other restaurants sweeping the nation, that of trying to find a balance between fashion and tradition…and failing miserably. Though claiming original furnishings, Hummus Brothers ends as up looking like every medial restaurant attached to a hotel in this country, only seasoned with a pinch of rustic charm gleaned from an ambiguous country I dare someone to identify. My sister that attended with me has more pastoral creativity in her left boob. Let her loose in a place like this for an hour and I guarantee she could inject actual personality into it.

I know I am being hard on Hummus Brothers and I may not be able to identify the source. The hamburger was fantastic and the service was more than acceptable. The place was clean, well made, and showed an attention to detail usually only seen in larger franchise locations like Moxis or Earls. Problem is those restaurants know what they are. I walk out of Hummus Brothers with no clue what I just entered. I know I have to offer this place a good score, as there was nothing to hate about it…but what's there to like? I'm sure I could justify returning here for a dinner service, taking in their tapas platter for two—see what their claim to name can really do. I also hope people will read this review and not just the score and know that, given the many choices all within a 30 second drive (North 54, White Goose—both less than two blocks away) they'll allot for the competition.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank PrinceGastronome

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada
“Super Sangria!”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Never disappointed when we dine here with friends or on our own - my husband and I have always had a great experience for lunch or dinner any day of the week!

The beef barley soup is fabulous!! The tapas menu is amazing! The sangria is SUPER! They have an excellent wine list and the service is always top notch!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Trish L
Calgary, Canada
“We need more places like this in this city”
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Finally a restaurant that I feel somewhat sophisticated in prince George. I got amazing quality sevice that doesn't weird me out like the keg, I got amazing food that I found not very expensive given how nice everything was and a drink I haven't had since I lived in Calgary! I tell everyone to go here please at least once! Than you will be hooked :-)

Prince George, Canada
“Could be amazing!”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Firstly, I have to say that this place has the potential of being amazing! Right now its good. The tapas menu is amazing, but the dinner menu is lacking. I love coming here when I'm not super hungry, but you will always have someone in your party who is starving and ends up disappointed. If I could suggest one thing for this restaurant it would be to whip up a dinner menu as awesome as the tapas and they'll be booked solid every night. Not many places in PG can actually say they make really exceptional food. These guys do!

Servers are super friendly, quick and knowledgeable about the menu. Amazing drinks and wine list! I love coming here and will continue coming as long as they keep making those delicious rice balls (or what I like to call "adult tator-tots").

• Visited May 2012
Prince George
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What Fun!”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is a great place! What fun from the decor to the serving staff, to the washrooms, to the GREAT FOOD! The prosquito wrapped shrimp are my favorite!!! They have such a great varieties of Sangria - I think it's different every day and the servers always know exactly what's good, what's in the food and what the specials are. I love to go for lunch and for a quick gathering between work and home! I guess most people in PG don't understand Tapas, but it's fun and good. Small portions of full flavored food to share - not a meal unless you order lots of types - like Dim Sum in a chineese restaraunt - so that makes this place a great place to hang out and socialize with friends. Of course they have great full sized dinners also, but my favorite is the Tapas!!

Visited May 2012