“Prince Gastronome - Third visit”

Hummus Bros Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #49 of 234 Restaurants in Prince George
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Diner, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

…at least they dropped the word “Tapas” from their name. That’s a good thing…right? They still have it on their menu, and before anyone jumps to defend, it’s a different menu from last time. Appetizers were still rebranded as tapas without any consideration that the two are technically distinct, and on top of that, I think their selection has actually decreased since last time. But let’s not get off on the wrong foot here; I’m not really hankering for another round of bitter-tasting highbrow criticism of something most people wouldn’t care about.

No longer downtown, Hummus Brother’s has relocated to the Treasure Cove hotel, snuggled at the edge of what I think should be called the “highway’s armpit”—so far from the building’s entrance that I wonder why the hotel would bother charging what they do for rent; it must be atrocious. I make that assumption because the location Hummy Bro’s occupies has been filled and emptied more times than Kermit the Frog.

(I could have gone for a dirty joke, but I felt a Muppet reference would require more thought and ultimately be cleverer.)

Not much has changed in the décor from the previous occupants, giving the impression that Hummus Brothers has truly discarded even the broadest strokes of ethnic distinction. Hitherto, I criticized them for establishing a design which looked pleasant aesthetically but created obstructions patrons had to work around in order to enjoy their experience. I didn’t check the bathrooms this time, but I really should have. By not deviating from the design of the previous restaurant, Hum’Brothers has actually created a more welcoming and functional environment, with the unfortunate side effect of looking basically like every Moxis snuggled underneath a Sandman Inn in this country. That’s not entirely a bad thing; I had commented prior that it felt that Humm’ers was aping a Moxis or Earls, and now they’ve simply embraced that role.

All of this tastes of repeat criticism and thusly should be discarded as wasteful, except I think Hummus Brother’s has actually gotten better in some ways. I mean ignoring the complete lack of ethnic identity in the décor, there still remains some measure of Mediterranean flare in the dishes. And what I ordered was really really good. My companion’s dish was also praised. Not going to lie, it’s a tad overpriced. A salad shouldn’t cost $17 dollars unless Ned Stark’s head is resting on the greens. The “supposed” tapas page actually had entries costing $16.95—just take off the word tapas, just take it off. Why open yourself to further criticism? I know I’m not the only one; I’ve read the other reviews.

Hum’others is like a tetrahedron (or a D4 to my D&D peeps). One side it presents itself as a franchise while another is a privately owned Mediterranean bistro. The third (as the fourth side rests on the tabletop) claims itself as an upmarket restaurant. Before, I felt Hummus Brothers missed the mark on all three. They still miss on two, but the third has become a solid bet. I’m not sure if that’s praise or not, but this was the first time I ate there without feeling like someone wasn’t pulling a joke on me. Honestly, I thought it was good, a step in the right direction. The meal was delicious; I felt satisfied. They just better have fixed their bathrooms.

DECOR: 7
PLATING: 7
SERVICE: 8
FOOD: 8
VALUE: 7

OVERALL: 7.4 out of 10 (that’s a solid B, happy now?)

Reviewed 13 June 2014

i went to hummus brothers with a few friends last night and sat on the patio. It was my first time at the new location. we shared some appetizers and had a few drinks. Service was great, food was awesome definitely go if you get the chance

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Best service and the best food! We dined in a number of delicious top rated restaurants in Edmonton and I still think this was the best! Love love this restaurant!

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I've heard good things so I'm sad to say I was terribly disappointed with my visit. Poor service with over an hour wait time for food. Almost impossible to get drinks and when you could get a drink order in you waited quite a long time for them to arrive. The biggest thing was our meals arriving at different times. One was 10 minutes behind the rest. Unfortunately I won't be visiting again.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Took mom for Mother's Day dinner. This was my 2nd time visiting at their new location in the Treasure Cove hotel and casino. We had the butter chicken and really enjoyed it, my partner had the Lebanese curry which looked wonderful and she really enjoyed it. People seated next to us were served some gorgeous burgers. Hostesses seemed very young and immature, but our server was good. Seating at the front is a little crammed - more appropriate for 2 people or 3 people who have short legs and like snuggling. I'd definitely recommend reserving a proper table at the back of the restaurant. The decor and ambiance is more sophisticated than many PG restaurants - music is nice but not intrusive, and you can have a conversation with your dining companions.