“Tale of two Sandman”

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Prince George
Cranbrook, Canada
“Tale of two Sandman”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Be aware there are two Sandman Hotels in Prince George & this one is far the best. Helpful staff, especially in the Restaurant / Bar, good food & reasonable prices. Convenient for the University. The only downside is they don't do Breakfast but there are plenty of places close by.

Room Tip: I stayed at the back of the Hotel it was nice & quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Overall the front desk staff were helpful and kind. The room was nice although the heater/AC is very loud and the wifi basically didn't work. Luckily they provide an ethernet cable so I was able to get some work done.

Williams Lake, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is one of Sandman's new Signature Hotels. This property is quite new. It is located near the major box stores and has ample parking. The location however has one drawback. You cannot turn left onto the main 4 lane thoroughfare. Secondly the Hotel decor is in very dark colors. The rooms appear dark even during the day. Making coffee in the cupboard provided almost requires a flashlight to avoid wet messy mistakes. Beds are comfortable and the area very quiet. If you have difficulty with your eyesight you may want to choose another Hotel. Otherwise this Hotel is very clean and well maintained. If your a shopper this is probably the Hotel you want to stay at.

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We really enjoyed our stay...best hotel beds I've ever slept in! Clean hotel...restaurant was fabulous. Staff were very helpful and very patient with our hockey kids. The only things missing would be an on site ATM and vending machines with snacks in them. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2014
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Our family room was awesome!!! The kids loved their own room own tv and bunk beds and bean bag chairs! Right close to the pool was perfect! Service was excellent. The manager was wonderful very friendly, hospitable and made sure we had everything we needed. We will be back and recommend to all family and friends. Thank you for the relaxing stay!!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Crystal2323
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed in room 150, a family suite. I'd recommend not getting this suite as it is at the end of the hall where people open and close the door to access the gym, pool and restaurant. Lots of door slamming. Our room was not ready when we arrived at the hotel well after 3pm. I appreciated the effort by house keeping, who gave my kids free treats from the hotels gift shop as a thank your for our patience. However the room was not very clean. Lots of hairs in the bathroom, strange substance on the curtains, chips under the bed.

There is a pocket door that closes off the bedroom from the main area where the bunk beds are. That door was broken and came off it's tracks trapping my husband and I in our room with our two kids on the other side, for about 10 minutes, until we could jimmy it open and back into the wall. We didn't close it again after that. Definitely something the hotel needs to address.

We were quite tired from our day of driving but as we fell asleep at about 10:30 pm we could hear what sounded like loud basey music, possibly coming from the parking lot area. We managed to fall asleep but I was woken up again at 1:40am. I could hear the loud music rather well from our bathroom when I got up. The rest of my family was sleeping well so I didn't want to disturb them by leaving the room to go and complain at the front desk or call down there. The music stopped at about 2:15am and I was able to eventually get some sleep. The bed is comfy. Our kids quite liked the bunk beds too.

My husband did mentioned the loud music to the front desk person the morning when we checked out. I guess we were not the only ones disturbed the night before. I guess there had been a rave in the banquet hall. Yes, a RAVE! I certainly hope the hotel won't make such a terrible mistake as to allow such events to take place in the future. People get hotel rooms because they want a good nights sleep, not be kept awake until well after 2am listening to loud music. We packed our things out the exit door by the banquet room, where there were several alcohol bottles on the ground and hundreds of cigarette butts.

We ate both our dinner and breakfast in the Rockford Wok bar & grill. Excellent food and great service in there. I highly recommend the Szechuan beef if you like something spicy.

I would definitely eat at the restaurant again but I am not likely to stay at this hotel when we visit Prince George again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer R
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have "attempted" to stay at this hotel twice over the past few years, first when they initially opened, and again only a few months ago wanting to give it another try, and I promptly checked-out minutes after checking-in on both occasions.

I reserved a "Signature King Room" and inquired to make sure the hotel showed in-room movies (because that's how I enjoy spending my evenings wherever I stay). I reserved my room and was advised in-room movies were indeed a go.

Upon check-in, I was required to wait almost a half hour for my room, notwithstanding the fact that it was almost dinner time and well past the hotel's allotted check-in time. When I reached my room it was NOT the room I had reserved, but rather a "Family Suite" with bunk beds and the pungent aroma of glue in the air. And to top it all off, the in-room movies function was not working either. I called down to the front desk and was told that they did not have the room I had reserved available and the in-room movie service had been undergoing some maintenance for the past few weeks (despite me calling ahead to ensure its availability the night before). The front desk clerk offered no assistance to remedy the situation, and when I asked to speak to the manager I was told the manager was "busy."

Needless to say, I will not stay at this hotel again because it is clear to me that customer service and customer satisfaction is the least of this hotel's concern.

Room Tip: Stay at the Four Points by Sheraton Prince George or the Coast Inn of the North
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo