“I paid for this?!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“I paid for this?!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

You'll have a fabulous time if you go in with no expectations. This may be the premier hotel for business travellers to Prince George, but you'll likely get no work done while staying here.

The wifi was painfully slow, with the signal disappearing on a consistent basis. If trying to answer emails, don't bother downloading files. I've experience dial-up faster than this wifi.

As for the room... Yes, it is remodelled and appears clean. However, the walls are fairly thin; I can hear when my neighbours are entering or exiting their rooms, and can also tell you when they were in the bathroom. The fan in the room was supposed to provide heating if you set it to 25 degrees. Problem is, it isn't heating the room as cold air was streaming out directly onto the bed all night. The shower had half a pane of glass separating it from the rest of the bathroom; unfortunately, this just doesn't work unless you like flooding the bathroom floor with water.

After one night, I couldn't wait to leave, but check-out took at least 14 minutes (from when I started timing it). The front desk clerk took his time talking to the customer - which is great, when there is no line up - while another guest and I waited. Instead of processing the line, he was chatting about pets, the weather... I suppose to his credit, he did pick up several phone calls while the rest of us continued to wait.

When it was finally my turn to check-out, and I asked if he could call a cab, the response was for me to go outside around the corner and see if there was one already lined up. If not, I could come back in and he'll call me a cab. I wasn't expecting Four Seasons' level of service, but the level of service and attention is depressing.

If I ever return to Prince George, and once the new Delta is built, I will happily take my company's business there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DDatYVR
Becky B, People and Culture Advisor at Coast Inn of the North, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear DDatYVR

Thank you for your review of our property. We always appreciate feedback - there is value in all comments, as they allow for us to address our service gaps. We have already taken action on some of the training points that were indicated in your review as the experience you detail is not up to the standard that we hold at Coast Hotels.

I was concerned to read your review, and we'd like to discuss your stay further, to see how we can Make it Right for you - please contact our General Manager, Richard Boustead, 250.563.0121 to discuss your stay.

People and Culture Advisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Smithers, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Coast Inn is conveniently located in downtown Prince George. The room was average, with a small bathroom. Noise could be heard from the rooms upstairs and next door, especially plumbing noise and TV. Doors are the standard variety that slam when left to close on their own, disrupting sleep when someone leaves their room early in the morning. I did not have a fridge in my room and my heating and ventilation system did not work.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear RamblinTam

Thank you for the review of our property - we value guest feedback as it allows us to continually improve our services, to ensure that our valued Guests have a pleasant stay while away from home. I have forwarded your concerns, and our team will action accordingly.

We look forward to hosting you at our property again, when you next visit the city.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stay in PG often and this is the best hotel for it.
Right downtown and close to many amenities. Always feel safe and well taken care of while we are here. Staff goes out of their way to help and they are always friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kerry S;

Thank you for your review of our property -we are pleased to know that you had a nice stay with us on your recent trip to Prince George. I will be pleased to pass forward your accolades.

We look forward to hosting you on your next visit!

Prince George, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Coast Inn of the North in the newly renovated soaker tub room. Dinner at the Shogun was superb, as usual. I like the new colors in the hallways and rooms. I can't wait until the outside gets an upgrade as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

Becky L, People and Culture Advisor at Coast Inn of the North, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear KVD9

Thank you for your review of our property -we are delighted that you enjoy our newly renovated room, and that you had a great dinner in Shogun - a guest and local favorite!

We will undergo phase two of our renovations, to be completed by fall 2014. Third phase will include the common areas, with future planning geared towards our exterior.

We look forward to welcoming you when you next visit Prince George, and look forward to your remarks as we continue to improve on our property.

Becky L
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The rooms were clean, the location was friendly for walking about and the bed was comfortable. There was a fridge and when we requested a microwave, one was brought up quite quickly. I stayed here on business, but think it is also a good location for looking around town. Some of the other customers were a little shady and the floor we stayed on smelled of drugs one evening, but other than that it was a pleasant stay in Prince George for a reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Voodew
Becky B, Manager at Coast Inn of the North, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Lyleth;

Thank you for your review of our property, and the kind remarks about our Ambassadors. We believe we have the best in the area!

I am concerned with your comment regarding our other guests, and activities they may have been participating in. We pride ourselves on keeping our property clean, quiet and comfortable for our Guests. We will review our internal procedures to ensure that this is not a concern on future stays, for any of our Guests.

Guest feedback is an important part of our business, as it allows our team to view our opportunities, from our Guests' perspective.

We look forward to hosting you, next time you are in our beautiful city!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 April 2014

In town to watch the Spruce Kings play so location was perfect. Hotel room was comfortable and the staff was helpful and friendly so worth my recommendation. Could hear our neighbors in the next room but nit any worse than any other typical hotel room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Chris S
Dear Chris S;

Thank you for your review of our property, and your kind remarks regarding our team of Ambassadors. We are delighted to hear that you had a good experience while you were visiting Prince George, watching our Spruce Kings play.

We look forward to hosting you again, on your next trip to Prince George.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Downtown PG with decent access to restaurants, etc. Can be loud because of where it is and a bit sketchy at night.
The rooms are not as nice (beds not as comfortable, drapes do not cover the entire window, very loud from neighboring rooms and the hallway) as any other Coast hotel I have been in.

Staff were nice and checking in and out was quick. It's OK but some associates stayed at the Sandman Signature in PG, and they paid less than I did (I paid $149 and then $159 for each night, they paid $140) and had full suites that were brand-new. I'll stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Dear aHUBbusiness;

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. You are right about our location - we are conveniently located to all local attractions including the downtown business area, hockey arenas, etc.

In 2013 we began renovation to our hotel rooms, and the remainder of the renovations will be complete by fall 2014. We'd like to invite you back, to stay in one of our newly renovated suites, which include completely updated bedrooms, bathrooms, and all amenities. We trust that you will have a refreshed outlook on our property.

Once again, thank you for your review -we look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Prince George.