“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Berkshire
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was our overnight stay whilst on the train trip from Jasper to Port Rupert. We arrived late in the evening, had a couple of drinks in the bar then retired to bed. The reception and bar staff were friendly and the room was typical of chain hotels, clean, well equipped and characterless. Unfortunately, when we were trying to get to sleep, there was a constant droning coming through the wall from a non working a/c. We were tired and couldn't face the hassle of getting dressed, packing and moving rooms so moved the bed away from the wall into the middle of the room. Next morning at check out we said about the problem but the lady on the desk showed no interest and never even apologised just took our money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Becky L, People and Culture Advisor at Coast Inn of the North, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear beasles;

Thank you for your review of our property, and for choosing Coast Inn of the North for your stay.

I am sorry to hear about the trouble you experienced, with the air conditioner in the guest room. It is our practice to make it right with our Guests, whatever the issue may be. However, in your experience, that was missed.

We'd like an opportunity to make it right for you. If you would like to discuss further, please contact me at the hotel directly.

Becky L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Prince Rupert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for several nights, while attending a convention held there onsite. The rooms were lovely, clean and nicely appointed. I can't say enough about the quality of service provided by everyone from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff, who all gave personal and friendly service. I would definitely stay there again if I was overnighting in Prince George. The hotel is centrally located in the downtown area, close to restaurants, if you choose not to eat at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Becky L, People and Culture Advisor at Coast Inn of the North, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Judy W,

Thank you for your review of the Coast Inn of the North!
We are pleased to know that during your stay you experienced the quality service that is the standard that sets Coast Hotels ahead!

We look forward to hosting you when you are next in our beautiful city! Please book your next stay with us by calling our central reservations line, and our friendly Reservations Agents will be happy to assist! 1.800.716.6199

St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

A nicely appointed Hotel in the heart of downtown with all amenities and very convenient to get around in Prince George. Staff all very accommodating and making sure everything is done right. Newly renovated room , lacked towel racks and shower door not completely enclosed. Internet was hard to get onto, but staff at front desk helped eliminate this problem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed here for a week for a business trip. The staff was pleasant upon arrival and throughout my stay. It is centrally located which means you can walk just about anywhere in the downtown area within 15min. And on the chance that there is somewhere not within walking range (or the weather is not cooperating), there is always a cab or two in front of the hotel.

The only cons I noted were:
1. The shower-- aesthetically, it was pleasing. But it was not practical. There is only a half glass panel, which means you're wetting the floor (even with the bath towel beside the shower) and you're feeling the draft come into your hot shower.
2. Temperature control-- I believe the thermostat is in the room for decorations only. No matter which way I moved the dial, the room temperature stayed the same. I thought it was just my room but two colleagues complained of the same thing. *The weather took a turn one day so it was pretty breezy outside and we all wanted a warmer room.*

If I had to return to Prince George again, I'd likely give this hotel another chance.

1 Thank JoClayB
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Checked in for two nights and was given a lovely room.

Weather took a turn for the beautiful and I asked to change rooms to something with a balcony on the sunny side of the building.

Well!

Not only did I get the sunny side...I got a beautiful suite with mountain views and a huge balcony in the sun. Furnished modern and very cool! The super conscientious front desk dude, Landon, gave it to me at NO EXTRA CHARGE!!!

Made my day! Thank you Landon and Coast hotel! Great sushi place on site and a nice little wine store!!

Who knew Prince George was so cool!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Donna B
Becky B, People and Culture Advisor at Coast Inn of the North, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Donna B

Thank you for your review of our property - we are thrilled that you have such a great stay, and were able to enjoy the beauty of our city from your room.

We've always known that Prince George is cool - and that we have some of the best hospitality people in the area - we love when others see our city the way we do! We will be sure to pass on your accolades to Landon!

We look forward to hosting you next time you visit Prince George!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

You'll have a fabulous time if you go in with no expectations. This may be the premier hotel for business travellers to Prince George, but you'll likely get no work done while staying here.

The wifi was painfully slow, with the signal disappearing on a consistent basis. If trying to answer emails, don't bother downloading files. I've experience dial-up faster than this wifi.

As for the room... Yes, it is remodelled and appears clean. However, the walls are fairly thin; I can hear when my neighbours are entering or exiting their rooms, and can also tell you when they were in the bathroom. The fan in the room was supposed to provide heating if you set it to 25 degrees. Problem is, it isn't heating the room as cold air was streaming out directly onto the bed all night. The shower had half a pane of glass separating it from the rest of the bathroom; unfortunately, this just doesn't work unless you like flooding the bathroom floor with water.

After one night, I couldn't wait to leave, but check-out took at least 14 minutes (from when I started timing it). The front desk clerk took his time talking to the customer - which is great, when there is no line up - while another guest and I waited. Instead of processing the line, he was chatting about pets, the weather... I suppose to his credit, he did pick up several phone calls while the rest of us continued to wait.

When it was finally my turn to check-out, and I asked if he could call a cab, the response was for me to go outside around the corner and see if there was one already lined up. If not, I could come back in and he'll call me a cab. I wasn't expecting Four Seasons' level of service, but the level of service and attention is depressing.

If I ever return to Prince George, and once the new Delta is built, I will happily take my company's business there.

1 Thank DDatYVR
Dear DDatYVR

Thank you for your review of our property. We always appreciate feedback - there is value in all comments, as they allow for us to address our service gaps. We have already taken action on some of the training points that were indicated in your review as the experience you detail is not up to the standard that we hold at Coast Hotels.

I was concerned to read your review, and we'd like to discuss your stay further, to see how we can Make it Right for you - please contact our General Manager, Richard Boustead, 250.563.0121 to discuss your stay.

Becky B
Smithers, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Coast Inn is conveniently located in downtown Prince George. The room was average, with a small bathroom. Noise could be heard from the rooms upstairs and next door, especially plumbing noise and TV. Doors are the standard variety that slam when left to close on their own, disrupting sleep when someone leaves their room early in the morning. I did not have a fridge in my room and my heating and ventilation system did not work.

Dear RamblinTam

Thank you for the review of our property - we value guest feedback as it allows us to continually improve our services, to ensure that our valued Guests have a pleasant stay while away from home. I have forwarded your concerns, and our team will action accordingly.

We look forward to hosting you at our property again, when you next visit the city.

Becky B