“Used to be one of the better ones but showing neglect”

Coast Inn of the North
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Prince George
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clearwater, Canada
“Used to be one of the better ones but showing neglect”
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Hotel is at best "OK". Been there a number of times, and each time there is something wrong or broken with the rooms. Materials are showing there age and looking tired and hotel generally shows the lack of reinvestment. Pool in the basement gives you that nice dungeon feeling. Elevators and internet are tempermental. If location is not key, there are other options.

On the bright side, staff really are great; very courteous and helpful. Hotel is in a good walking location to try some of the different (few) decent restaurants downtown.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Naturally_Wonders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
VANCOUVER
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I have taken the time to read some of these reviews and have to say the hotel could use some new furniture and paint but it is clean! The beds are more then comfortable, the Wi Fi and 24 hour business center is very handy when travelling on business and choices of excellent food is a treat. Most of all I have to compliment the staff. Every time I come back I am greeted by name and welcoming smiles. The Coast has an excellent location to the convention center and downtown. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in PG. Very classy place to be.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Doug_Andrews, General Manager at Coast Inn of the North, responded to this review, 26 November 2010
Hello LANCE58,
Thank you very much for your comments. I am very happy to hear our 'room cleanliness' and 'guest service' recognized and appreciated. Our people are our greatest asset here at The Coast Inn of the North. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Best Regards,

Doug Andrews
BC
Reviewed 8 October 2010

It was like going back to the 80's. Considering the other options in PG, I think this would be considered one of the nice places to stay there.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
kelowna
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I have read a number of poor reviews of this hotel. But I need to differ with many of them. First of all, it must be understood that Prince George is Prince George and not Las Vegas!!!! I stay there on business trips a lot. Some rooms are better than others. If you want a nice room...request #601. Although a little dated and in need of a makeover..it is huge and provides a large deck, two TVS and plenty of comfort for the business traveller. The lounge off the lobby area is a nice place to unwind at then end of a day and the dining is excellent. I choose the Coast over other places in Prince George that are newer but more cookie cutter. Turn down service is also I nice touch that no other hotel in PG has to offer.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Kitimat
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Room 701 unfortunately had a noisy air conditioner so loud that it prevented us from getting a good night sleep for our 2 night stay. On our last night I had to stuff wet paper towel into my ears which helped but felt tired and unrested on the long drive home.
For this reason alone I do not recommend this hotel to others. I also took hours for the room to cool. Quite simply this equipment was worn out not maintained. On morning we checked out the male desk attendant left me waiting an unusually long time while he tended to paper work in his office which was very inconsiderate. A good night sleep is important so for this reason alone I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank quietdrifter
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I concur with most of the comments made by the previous people (esp. Billy Bob) as my recent experience was sub-optimal. Plainly put the room was awful.

The wicker entertainment unit and the bedding the same color and pattern of Mrs. Roper's mo-mo, would have been a nice touch if they were doing a 70s theme room purposefully, but do not think it was intended to be retro-sheik!

The room had an unfriendly odor to it and the wicker was so beat up, scuffed and wobbly. The TV was not a retro dial and did have a remote. Additionally, the Coast did ensure that the TV also did not have matches or a bar of soap under it to level it off but was probably close to original to the hotel!

The bed was ok and the Hi-Fi was down for one of 2 days with no time line on it being back up and no follow-up from the front desk as promised.

I do like the conveniance of downtown close to my customers and the points that I get from Coast but that only gets you so far and although I do and will stay at the Coast in many other interior hotels but think that I am going to await a rennovation before I return to this one as the cost is too high for the limited that it does offer.... Sorry Coast but you are going to have to try harder!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BillyBobsBro
Coalmont
Reviewed 20 June 2010

The fridge was dirty, the sink didn't hold water, the portable phone didn't work and the pen leaked. There was nowhere to walk our dog, so we had to drive her to a green area to do her business. We paid more for this hotel than one in Burnaby!!! The parking lot is small and when full, you must park on the roof and walk down a flight of stairs to get to the elevator. This is problematic for someone with knee problems. The housekeeping staff were friendly but the front desk not so much. Really cheap with the coffee whitener and sugar in the room. Only one hot chocolate packet in the room - what if we both wanted some? We won't be staying here again!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple