“Miserable, sleepless night”

Sandman Hotel & Suites Prince George
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Prince George
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I should have taken the hint when I tried to book this property online and kept getting an error when I tried to submit my reservation. To their credit, the reservationists gave me the rate I found via e-mail. We arrived at the hotel a little after 3pm and were politely reprimanded for trying to check in before their 4 pm check in time. They found us a room that was cleaned, which I later wondered if it was a punishment for arriving too early. The hotel area is slightly sketchy and when we arrived there was a woman smoking right next to the door, but the interior of the hotel and the rooms are very nice. Unfortunately, the walls and floors are very thing. Our room was right next to the pool, so there was constant noise up until the pool closed at 10pm. For the rest of the night, it sounded as if there was construction going on above us. I tried to call to complain, but the phone wasn't working. I discovered the next morning that it had been unplugged. Even using headphones with music did not drown out the thumping from the room above. I did mention the noise the next morning when asked how things were. The woman at the desk did provide a $25 (plus taxes) discount on my room, which was something, I suppose. Not the 100% satisfaction guarantee that Hampton Inn provides, but it was something. The internet quality at this hotel was very poor.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the pool or on the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed one night and found the room to be in very good condition. It was clean and had the usual Sandman quality.
My room's AC was very noisy so had to use earplugs to sleep.
I found the price to be high for where it is and actually found better value nearby.
Front desk staff were very good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel with accommodation booked through my company. Due to an error my booking had gone astray. The staff were quick to assist me in getting a room, to deal with the mistake that had occurred. I couldn't have asked for more. My room was clean and a pleasant surprise after staying at the chain in other locations where I have been left disappointed. Internet was fast which was great after reading previous reviews

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank andrew h
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The suite rooms have what you need. Fridge, stove, etc. The rooms themselves can be a little awkward, ie: the bathroom has two doors, some rooms they bang together when opened. The rooms are becoming a little run down, the carpets and buckling and the beds feel like they need to be replaced. Staff are very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I booked the sandman for 3 nights. They had a breakfast package which included a $10 dennys gift card. When I checked in I asked for the card and the clerk said I didn't have the package. I said I did and after a minute she agreed but couldn't find any gift cards. She said she would call me. I checked back an hour later as I headed out the door but nothing. The next morning I called and they said I needed to wait for a manager. I could however goto dennys and have them charge $10. They said they couldn't when I went.
I checked back late afternoon and was told they had the cards. When I went to collect them I was told I could only get 1 as they give them out on a daily basis in case you check out early. I said it's 5pm so how about 2. She reluctantly agreed. Btw a breakfast is about $15 so the $10 card doesn't cut it unless you just want toast.

As for the room, the a.c. couldn't keep up so I opened the patio door. This was good until the dennys workers took their smoke breaks. Between the smoke and the talking it was time to close the door. The view from the patio was of 2 dumpsters. The roof to mask the view had long since rotted away which was also an eyesore. No need to mention the noise from the drop offs.

Not a great experience. Think sandman could do better.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LLHH
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I personally didn't mind the place. I do think it's a little run down though, like hallway carpet; staircase door not functioning correctly; the kitchenette needed up grading (or updating) in the room that I had; my explanation of up grading being required is when things are painted over with low grade Flat Latex paint to give it a cover up (this kind of paint stains very easy and I my opinion shows ugliness very quickly). So in short it's over price when all the things are considered.
I did like the fact they are nicely located to where there's quite a few different restaurants in the area. Which all the ones I tried were great.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews here thought it would be fine for what we need...but it's dirty, the front desk girl at check in wasn't very helpful. And the room is dark coloured and dingy and the pool was dirty and the walls in there were mildewy...not worth the money :(

Stayed: April 2014