“Good”

Sogood Cninese
Ranked #103 of 234 Restaurants in Prince George
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Ate here twice this past month. Their sushi is fresh and delicious and plentiful. I got their hot an sour soup and it was great as well. So was the agedashi tofu and tempura. Try the spicy tuna cone! Staff is friendly but busy. Will eat here again. Wanted to take a better picture but we were already half way through our meal when I realized I didn't take a photo :)

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Everything tastes fresh, they have a chinese and japanese menu and the food is good off both. And it is reasonably priced!

Reviewed 16 November 2012

I have used this chinese several times since arriving in PG and they provide big portions and fresh food, normally very reasonable.
one night this week however i called to order food and reminded them no garlic and no ginger on my food becasue i am alergic. they have had no problem with this in the past. my food arrived with the rest of our order covered in ginger, my husband picked it out and it was well over a tablespoon, even if i wasnt allergic that is way too much ginger for one dish!
i called them to complain and they went off to find out what went wrong and came back to tell me the person writing it down had made a mistake - the copy order was in my hand and clearly stated no garlic, no ginger! they did not apologise when i explained that they could have put me in hospital. they offered to send me out another portion of food which arrived 20 mins later but by this time i didnt trust them and my husband had it.
the delivery person did apologise for the "mix up" but in this day and age allergies should be taken a whole hell of a lot more seriously. The manager should have apologised.
I wouldnt trust them again and would advise other diners with allergies to be very very wary of this place. it may be your last meal!

Reviewed 11 November 2012

Excellent service with a sushi and standard menu. Delivery is always between 45-60 minutes and the quality of food is outstanding.
Ordering over the telephone is always swift and uncomplicated

Reviewed 2 September 2012

With gibberish kanji on its windows, So Good's initial impression was that of a smokescreen, a facade covering a more accurate fast food categorization. That suspicion was dismissed upon entering. Paper doors and hanging scrolls lead to a positive initial reaction, quickly sullied by loud contemporary music bucketing from ceiling speakers. This was further exasperated by the immense menus offered to me, and the plural was not a misspelling. Not willing to settle upon one cuisine, and realizing perhaps incorrectly that a Japanese restaurant would not succeed given this much production value (it's astounding how this place doesn’t resemble the McDonalds it was built from), So Good had three menus including one brimming with Americanized Chinese dishes.

Re-read that last sentence, ensuring you place an unpleasant emphasis on the word "Americanized". When I type it, I'm using it as a curse word.

The immense Japanese selection was offered on a mahogany Kubrikian monolith (1 by 4 by 9, I checked). And yet, despite this cacophony of cuisine, there wasn't a single lunch combo offering soup and salad with sushi. Having filled my quota for Chinese this month, I kept with the sushi and started with a miso soup, which arrived faster than a Big Mac—the apple not falling far...

I followed that with their most expensive sushi combo, priced at $15.95, offering one roll and six nigiri. The presented dish was incredibly disappointing. I’ve previously stated that tamagoyaki (egg nigiri) can be counted as an indicator of stinginess. So Good not only dropped one down on my plate, but coupled that with an avocado nigiri, which I had never seen anyone do (a production of about 10 cents). To counter those criticisms with a little silver, the sushi from So Good is some of the best I've sampled in some time, almost climbing to the peak of Suzuran, but like Sisyphus, the stone is fated to either never reach the peak or roll down the opposite side. The futility of this task is based around so many places like So Good cutting corners in customer satisfaction. Is it a fast food joint or is it a Japanese restaurant? My soup arriving in less than thirty seconds is not a compliment despite some readers assuming otherwise. It arrived before my water. And despite the positive spin being given to the quality of the sushi, I expected more from sixteen bucks than a salmon, a tuna, a shrimp, an egg, an avocado, and half a dynamite roll. To compound this, the dynamite roll was cut far too big and the dish was placed sans wasabi and pickled ginger (a mistake rectified with a comment).

So Good suffers from a cursed name, easily mocked if unto careful. It would be like naming a film “Awesome Movie”; you might as well name your restaurant “Amazing Food” and wait for the critics to swarm like vultures circling a crimpled horse. I admire the use of their sushi bar, the saturation of Japanese images, and the overall production value of the location. So Good only needs to overcome certain quality control issues, rooted firstly with their muddled and confusing mess of a menu. Being offered a fortune cookie after eating sushi just doesn’t make sense to me. They're unlikely to change given the deluge of customers once the arms aligned at noon. After Suzuran passed away (I do treat it as a death in the family), I started looking for my replacement tradition, my weekly dose of sushi. So Good came very close to achieving this, but there was a lingering disappointment, like the aftertaste of a poorly mixed martini, that I just couldn’t settle. The most striking attribute of So Good is its location, halfway across town from its only serious competition, Sakura. You can opt for So Good or sully your soul in the impressive number of fast food joints within walking distance, including Wendy’s, Burger King, and McDonalds. The real threat came from Boston Pizza around the corner, no longer a concern given it burning to ash recently. That may explain the sudden influx of population in So Good. I just hope they don’t let it come to their heads. There are issues that should be resolved, and if addressed, So Good could become the best Japanese restaurant in Prince George. Until then, you still have Sakura.

I miss Suzuran. I’m sounding like a broken record.

I’m sounding like a broken record.

Food: 3.5/5