“Prince Gastronome”

Dining options: Reservations
Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I feel like I'm still digesting my lunch…wait…I had it for supper as well, so that's true.

I ate so much, I feel like I'm going to crap a small salad bar. Literally close to sweating curry.

Today was Karahi King. Me and my ex-restaurant-owner friend James Bhang sneaked in 30 minutes before the end of the lunch service. This is an Indian restaurant specializing in traditional dishes, though I admit I've no idea what that entails. We opened with vegetable samosa, followed by roti and parantha. I couldn't tell the difference between the roti and parantha-both unleavened bread with one twice as much as the other. The samosa was very tasty with two dips and a spicy filling.

Entrees came later with Chicken Tikka and Lamb Korma. This pair turned into two of the greatest meals I've ever sampled. Bowls of rice followed with a curry butter sauce. The table was full. I admit to not sampling lamb often but the korma was extremely tender. The sauce was heavenly. The chicken had more flavor than any breast I had ever put to heat.

The remnants of the meal were boxed up and spread over homemade rice several hours later, making it a full Indian day. The roti and parantha were $1.00 and $1.95 respectively. The samosa was $3.25. The tikka and the korma both came to $10.95. This leaves one thing that did bother me. They charged me for the rice. So when we pay $10.95 for each entrée, they don't actually come with any sides. You have to pay an extra $2.50 for it. Other Asian restaurants include rice with their main dishes. At $37 not including tip, though getting a lot of food, I felt this price was high. I'm just saying it would have been appropriate to include rice with a main dish. If we hadn't ordered rice, we would've just been given a bowl of sauce.
In all, though the food was astonishing, and I can recommend Karahi on those merits, it comes with a warning that when they offer rice, it's extra.

Food: 5/5