“Kind of underwhelmed”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I have been to this restaurant at least half a dozen times and so I think I am able to offer a pretty informed opinion. After my first visit, I couldn't wait to tell everyone about this new restaurant in town that was selling BBQ almost as good as my Texas-born father's. The Copper Pig Caesar cocktail is to die for. The smoke flavouring in it gives it such a different, unique taste and this drink goes down quite smoothly...almost too smooth :-)

On a recent visit with some girlfriends we decided to order one of the platters to share along with a 4 or 5 appetizers. The appetizers were great although one of us ordered a full order of a side of bacon and ended up with what looked like 3 pieces of bacon cut in half. When we questioned this, the server assured us that this was indeed the full order. Next on to the platter, we had the one with the half chicken and prawns. The ribs were great but when we pulled the chicken leg apart from the thigh we noticed it was red, bloody and the meat was not cooked. We sent it back and then proceeded to watch the cook in the back argue with the server. The server then brought the same platter back to us, still with the raw chicken on it. She then explained that the redness was from the brine and it had been smoked for 6 hours so it was cooked.

I have smoked my share of meat, I understand that the meat might turn a reddish colour from the brine. I also know what undercooked chicken looks like and this was undercooked. The meat itself was clearly not cooked. She took it back again and we once again watched the cook arguing with her about it. We were brought a different platter with chicken legs on it but the rest of the food had simply been taken off the other plate and put on this one. The prawns were cold but the ribs were hot. We were also charged $3.00 for an extra prawn.

My main suggestion is that if you are going to have an open concept kitchen (which is very, very, very clean by the way) I would make sure the customers can't see the interactions between the cook and the server when the customer complains. His body language was quite negative.

Our dessert??? I don't even know how to explain this little piece of heaven. I can't remember what it was called but it had bananas and ice cream. A great way to end a somewhat disappointing meal.

2  Thank 12lifeisahighway34

Reviewed 18 September 2013

At $12.50, the BBQ CHICKEN & GREENS is a great deal. The garlic dressing and smoly flavor of the chicken made it a fantastic meal.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Up from the lower mainland on business and had the opportunity to dine at The Copper Pig. I found the atmosphere and food very satisfying. The restaurant was busy and bustling. The menu had a wide range of smoked meats and drink specials. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who would like to try something different.

1  Thank Pit_Master_G
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I am an ex- Prince Georgite back visiting friends and family for the first time in many years. My aunt suggested we try her friends son's restaurant and so we did. The son and owner greeted us upon arrival but placed us in the least desirable place in the restaurant. No special treatment here. The menu was good and as it was lunch on a hot day I opted for BBQ Beef Brisket Salad and was delighted. Good taste and fair price. One of the highlights for me was the wine list was all from B.C. No other region or country needed. Waiter was pleasant and efficient. Atmosphere just ok so it was good that I liked reminiscing with my auntie. I would go back for sure and see what the evening menu and atmosphere has to offer.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Great atmosphere, fabulous service and good food! We sat at the bar (as it was so busy!) and had a wonderful server/bartender that helped us navigate through the menu and was very helpful at suggesting bar selections. (Some of which we'll definitely be searching for here at home!)

1  Thank lindenCR