“Waited 45 minutes after ordering and did not get meals”

Red Robin Restaurant Parkwood
Ranked #24 of 231 Restaurants in Prince George
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Vanderhoof, BC
“Waited 45 minutes after ordering and did not get meals”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We like the RR menu, but experienced a HUGE disappointment this evening. We ordered a starter of onion straws which took 20 minutes to arrive and were very salty. After waiting another 1/2 hour and not getting our food, we informed our server we needed to leave as we had tickets for a movie. There were a number of staff walking around and visiting in between taking and delivering orders. She asked us to wait while she talked with her mgr.Her Mgr came out a few minutes later and offered to check on our order and possibly pack it up for us. We declined as we had no place to eat it. We won't be going back til we hear this type of service is eliminated.

• Visited July 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

excellent place to have a meal , for friends to get together before or after a movie cause the theater is close by , great atmosphere , friendly staff

• Visited January 2014
“Great Family Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Red Robin is a great restaurant for family dining in a relaxed atmosphere. The burgers are delicious and there is something on the menu for everyone. Occasionally the cutlery and glassware are water-spotted.

• Visited May 2014
“Prince Gastronome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

The biggest hurdle facing privately owned restaurants which emulate the décor and style of a franchise is measuring up to the competition. This may appear easy on the surface but these franchises are proven with considerable financing to back them up along with, and this may come as a shock, a rather high standard of cuisine. I mean if it was disgusting, would you go? Fast food joints are disgusting but you go because it’s travels through time to deliver food yet to be ordered and injects enough formaldehyde and sodium nitrate into your system, you’d be the only non-decomposing zombie after the eventual rise of the undead…

…I am positive there’s a joke there somewhere, where overweight people turned into zombies look perfectly normal because of the number of happy meals and quarter-pounders they devoured while alive. There is also the additional irony of how mobile such individuals now become as part of the undead.

Where was I? Right…franchise restaurants are not all necessarily uniformly fantastic, but there’s an expected level of quality when entering one. What you should not expect is anything terribly…well…interesting. You’ll find burgers, steaks, pasta dishes, and a few ethnic flourishes so lightly sprinkled about, you’re likely to pick up a more pronounced exotic whiff wandering around the bathroom at the Hong Kong airport. But the point is they make an effort to evolve normally bland examples of American mediocrity into something dare I saw occasionally sublime, so trying to emulate that on a reduced budget with a pronounced lack of corporate backing is a challenge in the least. So I’m befuddled when a local restaurant attempts to do so. If they succeed, it truly is a momentous achievement, made more difficult with places like Red Robin.

Yeah, I know, Red Robin, where’s the quality in that? It should be somewhat of a shock for me as well, but let me defend my point before you discount it. Let’s put aside the oddball décor and whether it does or does not work. I was attended to by one of the nicest most energetic waitresses I’ve encountered. Seriously, she was amazing. She could charge up a Tesla Model S with that much energy. As I waited for my comrade to arrive, I ordered pretzel bites. One good point in their favor, Red Robin has amazing appetizers. No, seriously, I’d order these five times a week if I didn’t care about my waist. I followed the appetizer with the smoke and pepper burger, all of this adding up to an excessive amount of food for an incredibly reasonable price. And it was good. The reason why I initially refused to review franchises was because of my attempt to elevate and promote local restaurants along with my desire to avoid the monotony of sampling small variations of pretty much the same food. After three years, I discovered so many of these family-owned places end up trying to mimic the formula of a franchise, though for most of them, it’s either Earls or Boston Pizza. I don’t see a lot trying to emulate a Red Robin.

So yes, I’m including them in my reviews. As you might have guessed, it also means I’m running out of ideas, and if I was living in Calgary or Vancouver, I’d be able to continue my stance on avoiding franchises, reviewing privately owned businesses until I grew old and feeble…and, looking at the shape of my ankles, that won’t be long.
The point is that nobody should be ashamed about eating at Red Robin. No, my comrade wasn’t a date. I do have some sense of self-worth. Most of the time, when given the chance, I’d opt for North 54 or White Goose, but if you have a hankering for a burger, there are few places better.

Food: 4/5
Service: 5/5
Presentation: 3/5
Value: 4/5
Recommendation: 4/5

• Visited May 2014
Canada
“ok food, limited service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The food was average, pretty good selection. We had 2 different people take our drink/food orders. Never saw them again after they brought it , even though drinks are supposed to be 'bottomless'.....couldn't even flag someone down....they just ignore you. It even took about 1/2 hour just to try to get someone to come take our payment!

Visited February 2014