“Not as good as it looked.”

Coffee Garden Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 231 Restaurants in Prince George
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Coffee Garden Restaurant is the casual dining room at the beautiful Coast Inn of the North, which offers a relaxed atmosphere for all our guests. Join us for a delicious start to your day, lunch with the office or bring the whole family to enjoy a Prime Rib dinner every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night; the kids will eat free and we'll do the dishes! We offer a frequent diner program where for breakfast or lunch order 9 entrees and the 10th is on us!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not as good as it looked.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I came down to the restaurant on my second night in town. I ordered the fish and chips, stuffed mushrooms, and crème brulee for dessert (all to-go as I was taking it back to my room to get some work done). The fish and chips (I substituted mashed potatoes in place of the fries) entrée was nice, although there was a little too much batter on the fish, but tasty nonetheless. The stuffed mushrooms were very chewy. I don't know if the mushrooms were undercooked or the crab filling had been sitting for a while. I ate two and the rest I trashed. What I was most looking forward to was the crème brulee, which is my favorite dessert. The entire dessert was a fail. The strawberry tasted like it had remnants of cheese on it (maybe it was part of a fruit and cheese platter earlier in the day?). The actual crème brulee was wet. And by that I mean the carmelized sugar was not hardened per the usual preparation of it. Upon digging into the 'custard', I found it to be too loose, almost watery. It actually resembled curdled milk. One spoonful and I placed it in the trash right beside the stretchy stuffed mushroom concoction. I'd probably skip this place on the next visit.

• Visited May 2014
Shelby M, Manager at Coffee Garden Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank-you for your review JoanCBee. We appreciate all feedback so that it gives us the opportunity to improve. The quality of your mushrooms and creme brulee are simply not to our standard and unacceptable.
We hope that you do give us another chance on your next visit.

Prince George, Canada
“Great food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Our family used to go to the Coffee Garden when our kids were young enough to take advantage of the kids eat free on weekends ( a decade ago) The regular servers used to remembered all our favourites and would comment on how our kids had grown when some time had passed between visits. None of the servers are there anymore but the service is still great. The menu has changed over the years and there are plenty of good options for everyone. On this lunch, we had the steak sandwich, seafood fettuccine, and beef teriyaki rice bowl. All were great, as good as any trendy or popular restaurant in PG.

Welcome back PGdiner! Thank-you for your review. It is great to hear that your food and service were to your liking! It is a shame you missed some of our senior servers as many of our team (more than half) have been with us for over 15 years!
On your next visit be sure to pick up one of our frequent diner cards! We have them for breakfast and lunch - buy 9 entrees and the 10th is free!
Hope to see you back soon!
Prince George, Canada
“Great place for lunch!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is a wonderful place to meet friends for lunch! The service is always very good. The food is even better!! i had the lunch special which was a BLT wrap and it was absolutely delicious!! There was a choice of several different sides. Highly recommend this place.

• Visited March 2014
Thank-you for the review pgbenny! On your next lunch visit be sure to pick up one of our frequent diner cards- enjoy 9 lunch entrees and the 10th is free! Hope to see you back soon!
Burnaby, Canada
“Hockey Team March 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

The staff were very friendly and attentive to all of our needs. We wanted boardroom table style for dining and was delivered without reservations.

Visited March 2014
Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

Shelby M, Manager at Coffee Garden Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thanks for the review Blackwhistle14! Great to hear that we were able to accommodate the team! Hopefully the team won and we will see you back soon!!
“Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

i had exceptional service the other day when i had lunch in the Garden Cafe. The server was very friendly, as well as attentive, her name was Tina. I will definitely have another meal there. Excellent Service!