“Very nice place to visit”

North Pacific Cannery Museum
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I love to visit this place, to learn more about the history of this historic site. The guide was kind and know well the informations to give us. Unfortunately, the restaurant was close when I went there, I would have like to pass more time and eat there some fish! I took a lot of pictures, the landscape around is awesome. The price for the visit is nice, but the souvenirs are expensive.
I think it is a place not to miss if you go to Prince Rupert, you will learn a lots about the history of this part of country.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I recommend a visit here as it was much more interesting than I anticipated. Give yourself enough time as there are two tours and we only had time for one of them but the tours really help you to understand the way the cannery was run and how it has changed through the years. Our guide was very knowledgeable.

1  Thank SportsFanforlife
Reviewed 28 September 2013

First of all the setting is lovely as its nestled on the shoreline away from any other business.

The tour was good and given by a young but knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide. They take you through the process from when fish arrive to when they leave in a can. It was particularly interesting to hear how things were done before and after mechanisation.

The reason that I have rated the attraction as four stars rather than five is that only a very few of the buildings are currently open to the public. I hope there are plans in place to open others as this would round off the whole story.

1  Thank Raingod9
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I was a child when I lived in Sunnyside. Many good memories. The tour of NP Cannery Museum sort of helped bring me back to the days of my youth. I was pleased to see that the existing buildings were intact and that they still resemble how they looked back then. Yes, as a child my family brought us to other canneries in the area to visit other family members and friends.

Although the tour only talks about how the cannery dressed, gutted, cut, and canned the fish, and how the machinery made the cans and the cooking part of it, I think it would help people understand if there was also someone who explained the community of people that lived in the area at the time. I've been out there twice, once in the 2000's and just last summer, 2013. Both times the party I was with talked about "those days" and the tourists in both groups were quite interested in what we had to say. In fact the first group, who happed to be a family from England, stopped and joined my mother, my sister and myself to listen to what we had to say. Then last summer, three of the tourists followed my cousin and I to hear what we had to say. Needless to say they were all quite fascinated with what shared about our experiences of "those days".

However, it was a good tour... knowing in our own hearts what displays brought our memories back. =) Thank you Stephanie, for the awesome tour.

1  Thank Aamagatum H
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I visited this museum in April 2011 when it was just open. The renovations and informative displays give you the feeling of being at the cannery back in the day. It is not overly commercial and is surrounded by beautiful B.C. Scenery. Well worth the visit. I'd highly recommend a guided tour next time you're in Rupert.