“Such a Pleasant Surprise!”

North Pacific Cannery Museum
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Such a Pleasant Surprise!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just putting it out there, I'm a 21 year old girl with very little interest in guided tours of any sort let alone through a cannery (like what is that). I wanted something to do in Prince Rupert and figured it was inexpensive enough ($8 with a student card) to at least waste some time checking out.
I arrived at the cannery expecting to leave 20 minutes later. So why did I stay for almost two hours?

Well…
-I took an hour-long guided tour that was so chock full of Canadian history in a way that you can actually SEE - unlike what I remembered from seeing sketches in fifth grade history books, and while I thought it would be a snore, it flew by! The staff are summer students as far as I could tell and they do a great job.
-It is BEAUTIFUL - talk about a picturesque museum, the rustic cannery is something in itself but paired with beautiful ocean and mountain views we are talking some breathtaking scenery
-They have an adorable cafe and I had already eaten lunch but I watched someone eat some of their salmon chowder (in the least weird way possible) and it didn't look overly creamy - it looked fresh and I heard rave reviews! I got a cookie which was exactly what I wanted
-There is no cellphone reception! So I guess I had to put down the phone for a couple hours, but I barely noticed (hint to any parents looking for full attention from teenagers). There is also a great gift shop if you are looking for that perfect souvenir from the coastal northwest.

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it but it is such a cheap and fantastic way to spend an afternoon, appropriate and enjoyable for people of all ages.

Visited July 2014
Seamus M, Guest Relations at North Pacific Cannery Museum, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words! We pride ourselves on being able to engage guests, no matter what their interest level is! As well, thank you for your words on the cafe; I agree that our cafe is Adorable!

Seasoned traveller from Devon
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Worth the visit!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

To find it go to Prince Edward and keep going as the road narrows, it's signposted 'museum'.
It's an interesting complex of run down buildings at the waters edge staffed by pleasant students. There's a lot to see , it looks in some of the workshops as if the staff just left without taking anything!
The actual cannery process is explained and the numerous machines are ingenious in how it all worked to produce tins of salmon for Princes and Sainsburys etc.
There's a gift shop with some interesting and reasonably priced stuff
Overall there's not much of interest in Prince Rupert but this historical place us worth your money and a couple of hours.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Chocky1948
Irvine, California
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 214 helpful votes
“Take the guided tour”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The site is a fish cannery which operated until the 1970's. The guided tour will introduce you to what was an important part of Prince Rupert's economy in the late 1800's through the mid 1950's. Working here was strenuous and demanding. You'll gain a better understanding of what went into packing that can of salmon you purchased in the supermarket.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank mountainoutin
vancouver, bc
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Informative and photogenic”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

A wonderful place to photograph old buildings while learning about the fish canning past. Also, a great place to view trains, - model and actual ones passing by.

Visited May 2014
BC
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“History comes alive....”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The NPC Museum was well worth a visit. The guide was knowledgeable and patiently answered questions about the people, the buildings, and the machinery used at the Cannery in the early 1900's. The different housing for different groups of people was fascinating - the Chinese, Japanese, Europeans, and First Nations all had their own bunkhouses - the managers houses are also well maintained.

Visited September 2013