“DID NOT LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Ram's Head Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Rossland B&B and Inns
Kenmore
“DID NOT LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

The Ram's Head Inn is a charming quaint place conveniently located at the base of Red Mountain. However, the place in need of serious TLC! With many months of advance reservation, three of us arrived in the early evening (early March 2012) to cat ski for two days (not consecutive) and also make turns at either Red or Whitewater. Keys were not ready or available right away - we were handed one key (no ring or string or anything) and told to come back later for other keys. We walked in and there were only two towels (they knew three of us would be staying; there was a half full roll of TP in the bathroom with no extra; one of the light bulbs was out in the light on the table and we had to ask for a new light bulb. Their is a switch that apparently keeps the tiny refer in the room going with a note to keep the switch in the on position; it was in the on position but the refer had been unplugged so we had to wait hours for it to chill - and it was filthy inside; the drapes on one window were in poor condition - did not open or close and had strings hanging there - looked really ragged and the other was on metal rings on a rod that was unstable. There was no soap provided; instead there were dispensers of soap on the wall by sink and in shower - but shower gel was empty! There is no type of cleaning service provided at the Ram's Head whatsoever while you are there - the boot & glove dryers in the lower level of the lodge barely circulated any air and worked marginally. The basement area that they claim is to play pool and watch the big screen, etc. (equipment room?) was a bit of a pit - cold and dirty - do not know why anyone would hang down there! We asked a couple of times what the weather was expected to be and always got a "I have no idea" answer. I know it's the mountains and things change - but really - for a lodging establishment to have no idea what it is expected or predicted to be? Then, the topper was that cat skiers were to have breakfast at 7:30 (even though we had to be a 6 minute walk way by 8:00 a.m. to check in); if you didn't cat ski they requested that you wait to eat at 8. The breakfast is a good one for the price, but the meats were not thoroughly cooked. The second morning, when we did not cat ski, we accommodated their request and came down at 8 - most of the hot food was gone and not to be replaced! They said - we thought you were cat skiing! There was simply no communication of any sort at this place and the folks at the desk - surprisingly Martin and Pam who were so good communicating on email -- seemed to be on holiday while we were there. They were nice enough for sure, but just not in tune with the guests and their needs. We may return, but it will be only after we've checked all other availability - the place just doesn't seem to be taken care of! Very sad to see the deterioration and service at what could be such a charming place all around! Rossland so desperately needs some affordable but good and comfortable accommodations!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vicki K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I have stayed at this inn annually, along with other members of my son's boarding team for the past three years. The service has always been above and beyond, and the facilities have suited the families very well. The drying room in the lowest level also includes a pool table and large screen tv with Wii for the kids.
The main lodge area has a fire place and seating for informal gatherings. The team parents really get gods user of this gathering area in the evenings for wine and card games. The banquet table is used for pizza dinners for the kids. The breakfasts are always enough to keep us going until lunch.
The rooms are clean and vary in size, depending on your needs.
My only complaint would be that I always ended up timing my showers poorly, so I was competing for the hot water supply with the cat skiiers. :(
Location, drying room with kids stuff, gathering room, hot tub, individual rooms and service all more than met our needs.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Princess4349
West Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Our family (Grandparents, parents and 2 kids under 6) stayed over the family day long weekend. Having spent lots of time at Red Mountain and in other accomodation, we were thoroughly disappointed. We rented a two bedroom with kitchenette. While there was plenty of room to sleep, there was not a sense of care put into our place. There were large windows missing drapery and therefore a total lack of privacy. We had access to another ajoining room which should have been locked off and was odd that that wasn't taken care of. The kitchenette was really poorly supplied. No pots, no glasses etc. There were 2 burners on the stove to use but no way of cooking really.There wasn't a can opener or other things to allow you to cook. The frying pans were all bent and useless Thankfully we brought a crockpot. There were no additional garbage bags or towels (3 towels provided for a family of 6??). Also, for a ski condo, why would you NOT have anywhere to hang stuff. Literally, there is not one hook to hang wet gear on to dry. We would not stay again and were disappointed with the lack of care for simple things to make ones stay more cozy. For what they charged per night, thanks but no thanks.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Krista R
Morrisville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

If you are reading this review and hope it will have you to decide whether to stay at this place, first you have to determine what you are after at Red Mountain and what is important to you.
Luxury accommodation it is not! However, if you need a place to stay close to the slopes, and if you want it to have a nice feel and be run by friendly and helpful people, this is your place!
My son and I stayed there for 5 days while skiing at Red Mountain in December 2011. The room was small, but it was enough for us. The breakfast was sufficient to keep you skiing at least till lunch time. Ski storage and boot/glove dryers are something more important for me at a ski vacation than a large room. Martin and Pam (the two people running Ram's Head Inn) were very helpful in accommodating our needs.
And it takes only 4-5 minutes to walk to the ski lifts from the Inn's backyard. How nice is that?
If I ever plan another ski vacation at Red (and I hope I will), I would not hesitate a second before booking my lodging at Ram's Head Inn again!

Martin and Pam, thanks for your hospitality!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Michaelfe
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I've stayed at this inn with my family on several occasions. Primarily this place is a ski lodge at Red Mountain during the winter months, but in the summer it is a quiet and relaxing home away from home.

The staff is friendly and the inn is very cozy. It is pet and kid friendly which was a real bonus as our most recent visit included two newborns, a four year old, and a dog, as well as 3 teenagers and 12 adults. There is a cedar hot tub in the back, a games room downstairs, and it is located near lots of hiking and biking trails. If you're really lucky, a hike in the right spot might find you right in the middle of a patch of plump, juicy huckleberries.

I was a little disappointed that breakfast wasn't offered during the summer months, but if you ask nicely, you might be able to use the dishes and make your own meals if you're trying to keep costs down; just be sure to wash up when you're done. There are also some great little cafes and restaurants in the area that you can visit for a meal. I especially recommend a trip down the mountain into Trail for dinner at The Colander, don't even bother opening the menu, just order the special and make sure you have a healthy appetite.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here on July 13th. We may have been the only ones there, as it was quite empty. I was a little hesitant about staying here because of the trouble I had when booking. I had filled out a booking request on their website. I received a quick reply telling me I had to give a credit card deposit. I e-mailed back with my phone number and asked them to call me so that we could do it over the phone. I never received a call. A few days later I e-mailed again and asked if they had a problem calling me, as I had never heard from them. Again, no reply. I gave up on booking this place, but my husband decided to try again a few weeks later because it was close the Rock Cut Pub, which has the best chicken wings in BC. This time he successfully booked by giving his credit card details on-line. So then I wasn't surprised when we arrived around 3 p.m. on the 13th and there was absolutely no one there. The office door was closed and locked, with a business card on it saying to call if no one was there. We called the number 5-6 times and kept getting an answering machine. We left a few messages. Finally, after about 15 minutes a car pulled up and the two owners came rushing in. They had gone into town to deal with something. I'm not quite sure why the BOTH of them had to go, but there you have it. They were certainly friendly enough, but you could tell they had very limited experience in running this kind of establishment. We were given the keys to a room on a lower floor, and I asked why we couldn't have a higher floor. So then we got the higher floor, but when we went inside there were no hand towels, etc. The room was HUGE, which we appreciated, and everything was clean. But the service really needs to improve.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank djqueen
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

I was greeted with genuine warmth-it was like stepping into someone's home, cozy, log fire burning, simple, stylish elegance, the owner sat with us & spent over an hour explaining the local area, places to go, see, etc.
The following morning, the cooked breakfast was exactly what was needed for a long day of skiing, fresh cooked oatmeal, eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, potatoes, tea, coffee, juice, you name it, they had it.
The Inn itself is surrounded by several acres of woods, so offers an air of privacy, yet it took exactly 3 minutes to walk to the chair lift!
After a long day of skiing, we returned to the Ram's Head Inn for a long soak in their traditional wooden hot tub, followed by a sauna, recommended to us by the hospitable Swedish owner.
We are definitely returning there next ski season, highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossland
Prestige Mountain Resort Rossland
Glenwood Inn & Suites
Rossland Motel
Rossland Motel
#3 of 4 in Rossland

Been to Ram's Head Inn? Share your experiences!