“Slice of Heaven on Salt Spring Island”
Review of Salt Spring Inn

and 1 more site!
Salt Spring Inn
Victoria, British Columbia
“Slice of Heaven on Salt Spring Island”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I regularly stay and eat here as I own and operate a business on the Island with an office also in Victoria. The rooms while small are perfectly designed and finished with small flat screen TVs, beautifully finished and functional bathrooms and the most comfortable beds on planet earth. There are also natural gas fireplaces in the rooms along with some nice local art/prints on the wall. Nice wainscoting on the walls with views of Ganges and the harbor from the front rooms. The location is perfectly situated in the heart of Ganges and right beside my office. The service is always most professional, friendly and attentive. Owners Jeremy and Barry are always on site showing pride of ownership and passion for the operation. The man behind the bar, Tom is also excellent and personable. The restaurant and bar are situated in a beautifully renovated room with a wonderful patio area out front for seating in the summer. Food is fantastic here and in my opinion, the best on the Island. The menu is excellent and varied. I've had close to everything on the lunch and dinner menu and have not had a bad meal here. Some of the bests include the calamari, stuffed mushrooms, prime rib, fried chicken, death by chocolate and lasagna. The jambalaya is beyond compare and easily the best I've ever had. Ditto for the calamari. Prices are generally pretty reasonable and portions are big. The room prices also provide excellent value. Rita the cat adds a nice touch as well -- very friendly and welcoming! All in all, this place is a whole lotta awesome! Easily one of my favorite places anywhere to eat and stay.

Room Tip: Choose one of the front rooms with its own bathroom and shower, #3 is the biggest
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CaseyluvsSophie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Vancouver BC
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This was a great choice of a place to stay for my son and myself. We got two rooms for a very reasonable rate, and although they were small, they were well designed... everything was attractive and in just the right place. The Inn was a friendly place; clean, well-located in central Ganges, and to top it off, offered a very decent breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'd highly recommend it for a pleasant, affordable stay. I should add that we left something behind and after a quick phone call, the Innkeeper sent it immediately via courier. Excellent service!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank loraxes
Renton, Washington
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed here because the price was amazing. Coincidentally, it was less than a block and just around the corner from where I had business to do. Furthermore, immediately upon checking in, I met the house cat calmly lounging on top of the check-in desk. What a way to set a tone! The co-owner of the property checked me in and I went up to my SPOTLESS and comfortable room. Though I had a room with a shared bathroom that was down the hall, even that was SPOTLESS. I wandered about town a little bit (which was JUST across the street) but a couple of people told me the food at the hotel restaurant was great. Sure enough, it was. I ended my night early because I was tired. The co-owner told me it was "the most comfortable" bed - that had me a bit skeptical but sure enough, it was. He was not exagerating! I fell asleep early, something I NEVER can do in a hotel, even when I'm exhausted! I had to check out super early to catch the ferry and was disappointed I needed to leave my extremely comfortable stay. When I return, if the same owners are in business, I plan to stay at this property again.

Room Tip: I was not able to select my room and come to think of it, I had the last room. There are rooms that...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DKS65
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 26 March 2012

If you can't judge the character of this establishment by Rita, the adopted Inn Cat sleeping curled up in her little cat bed on the check in counter, I suggest you might want to look elsewhere because if that doesn't warm your heart, nothing will.

I have stayed here twice now while on the road with a ballet company and have nothing but good things to say. The rooms are small, to be sure, and while at first, the idea of having to share a bathroom and shower may sound off putting, keep in mind that only four of the seven rooms are like this, so the chances of actually having to wait your turn are minimal. I was a bit confused, however, as to why there were separate men's and women's showers and bathrooms, could not each be "unisex"?

Regardless, the place is impeccably clean, I can't remember ever staying in a cleaner hotel. The staff are friendly and Jeremy is the ultimate host happy to suggest meal ideas and looking every bit the proud Innkeeper. It's a level of service that sadly one rarely sees anymore.

I can see how parking might be a bit of an issue in the height of the summer tourist season, but I can't see how you'd ever have problems parking more than a few minutes away.

Overall, highly recommended and I am really looking forward to our next visit.

J\

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lazarus2025
Calgary
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Great stay! Attended a textile course on Salt Spring and the SS Inn was one of the accommodation choices. Jeremy and staff made our stay fabulous. Great room with private bath, newly renovated and well appointed. Loved "Ruth", the dining room (including great Saturday evening tunes courtesy of the Barley Brothers). Jeremy's attention to detail including treating us to wonderful appetizers + whatever we needed in our rooms to make our 'retreat' really special (wine glasses, etc.!!).
Located in the heart of Ganges with loads of shopping & stores, coffee shops, theatre, banks and services outside the doors.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank QueenofMyWorld
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We recently stayed at the Salt Spring Inn for a couple of nights; it was a great little hotel in the heart of town. The rooms are small but remodeled and the bed was very comfortable. It was nice to be able to walk to the shops, the market and the pier. We also enjoyed driving around the island. We found the staff to be very friendly and also enjoyed breakfast at the restaurant (not included with the room charge).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mec456
Limbo
Reviewed 28 September 2011

The room was clean and well kept. The location was great. The staff were always friendly and pleasant. Nice view of the hills. Showers kept clean but not en-suite and no wardrobe or hangers. A good nights sleep and little noise from the Inn downstaires or other guests.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo