“An Honest Mistake or Intentionally Misleading?”

Sky Valley Inn Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salt Spring Island
Sky Valley Inn Bed and Breakfast
San Luis Obispo, California
“An Honest Mistake or Intentionally Misleading?”
Reviewed 5 August 2007

I called a number from a web site titled Beddis House B & B. I booked a room with the owners. When I got to Salt Springs Island I went to the address on the web site and found the B & B shown on the website. It was closed. The owner said he had been out of business for a few years.

I called the 800 # on the website page. It was the same as the number I called to make the reservation. I was told that I had made a reservation with the Sky Valley Inn - not with Beddis House B&B. I drove to the new address and was disappointed with the personnel, the setting and the room.

More specifically, I was disappointed because:
1. The person who greeted me was not friendly or welcoming. She insisted that when she or her husband answer the phone they say "Sky Valley Inn"; the assumptin being that I should have known I was not booking a room @ Beddis House. I am well educated, I know how to travel, I would have been keenly aware if I had been given a name and address different than the Beddis House.
2. There was trash lying in the driveway.
3. The pool was covered. The person who greeted me agreed to take the cover off but informed me that the pool was not heated.
4. The steps/ handrail system to the pool was on the lawn. My husband is disabled and therefore unable to get in and out of a pool without steps and a handrail.
5. The room, althought beautifully decorated and clean, had no privacy. Both sides had sliding glass doors (one to a patio with a view but the patio was not private) the other to the pool seating area. Only one set of doors had screens. The shower was situated within the sitting/bed room and was all clear glass.
6. The inn is up a dusty road high on a hill with no place to walk except on the narrow roads outside the premise. The Beddis Inn - featured on the website where I got the phone number - has walking paths and is closer to the water.

I told the innkeeper that my husband and I were disappointed and wished to find another place to stay. I requested a refund for both nights. She said she had to talk with her husband. I asked her to do so ASAP so we would have time to look for other accommodations. She took about 15 minutes to go down stairs and talk with her husband. They refused our request. I requested a one-night refund. She refused. Her husand, with whom I made the reservation and with whom she consulted regarding our requested refund, did not have the courtsey to come and talk with us.

The room was $220 per night. Her rationale for refusing our requested refund, was that people book 3 weeks in advance. The inn had a vacant room that night and the next night (according to her) so I know she had not turned anyone away.

My husband and I found another room on the island for $135 a night. It was close to the water and the staff were helpful and friendly. As a courtsey I called the Sky Valley inn keeper to let her know we would not be staying there. I asked her to reconsider at least a partial refund. She said nothing.

This is not a place I would recommend to anyone. If this was an honest "mix-up" the fair and decent thing to do would have been to grant us the refund requested. I won't know until my credit card bill arrives what the owner's final decision is but the lack of concern for my husband and I and the stubborn refusal to grant our request has led me to write this criticism of the Sky Valley Inn.

• Liked — It's on Salt Spriing Island
  • Disliked — It seems as if the owners want to pay their mortgage rather than provide a service to tourists.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank emkm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 20 July 2007

The Sky Valley Inn is a little paradise. We stayed in the Ivy master suite which is beautifully decorated and spotless. It includes a spa-like shower and king sized bed. It overlooks the courtyard and large pool on one side and attaches to a large balcony with incrediable views of the ocean and adjacent Gulf Islands. Cornelia and Richard are charming hosts who ensure the comfort and care of their guests. The food was absolutely decadent...croissant "french toast" stuffed with blueberries and brie. The Inn is a quick 10 minute drive to Ganges on scenic island roads. This was our first time to the island but we'll be going back frequently to pamper ourselves at the Sky Valley Inn.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank arjm2005
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 15 July 2007

We visited the Sky Valley Inn for three nights over the Canada Day holiday. We stayed in the Garden Room, which overlooks the swimming pool and courtyard area. Our room was exceptionally clean, cheerfully decorated and quiet. The grounds are very private, and the pool area makes a nice place to gather for afternoon drinks.

Richard and Cornelia are kind and thoughtful hosts who are willing to go the "extra mile" for their guests. For example, my birthday happened to fall during our visit. Richard and Cornelia not only provided us with cake and champagne to celebrate, but invited us to join them on their private deck for the feast. It meant a lot that they would take time from their schedules to make a virtual stranger feel welcome.

Overall, our visit was absolutely top-notch. The Inn is charming and peaceful, and the breakfasts are excellent. One note: the pool is currently unheated, and even though the July weather was fairly warm, the pool was too chilly to use. Richard mentioned that he was in the process of getting the heater fixed, so if a swim is important to you, you may want to confirm that this has been done.

• Liked — Tastefully decorated, quiet, great breakfasts, nice people
  • Disliked — Pool wasn't heated
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pebs1989
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Sky Valley Inn for 2 nights in June. We stayed in the Wisteria room - very clean, comfortable. Although it wasn't decorated to our tastes, it was quaint. It looks out onto the swimming pool, with no view at the back. The swimming pool was lovely but freezing! The highlight was definitely the breakfasts - wow! I had to pace myself so I could try a bit of everything. You will not leave hungry. They cater to vegetarians, allergies etc. The inn is about a 10 min drive from Ganges. A quiet, private setting. I would recommend it.

• Liked — breakfast!
  • Disliked — amenities in the room
  • Stayed June 2007
1 Thank cdnabroad
Ontario
Reviewed 5 July 2007

Sky Valley Inn was recommended to us by friends who reside on the island. We had just completed an Alaskan Cruise Tour and were looking for a relaxing setting to wind down our trip to the West Coast. To make our vacation even more memorable we had decided to renew our wedding vows on the island after the cruise. Richard and Cornelia graciously offered to host the renewal for us. The beautiful natural atmosphere of the Inn and its gardens along with the delicious food made Sky Valley Inn the perfect place for our special occasion.

The Ivy Master Suite with its ultra comfortable king sized bed and beautiful view of the Gulf Islands was fantastic. It was a pleasure to wake up every morning to find coffee and tea outside of the room prior to the gourmet breakfasts served in the cozy dining room.

Stayed June 2007
Reviewed 27 June 2007

We stayed at Sky Valley Inn Bed & Breakfast last month and had such a relaxing stay. We have stayed at a number of B&Bs over the last couple of years and this one is at the top of our list. The location is very quiet. Our room was very tastefully decorated (not overdone) and had a great view. Our hosts made us feel very welcome. The breakfasts were delicious - really enjoyed those scones! We would recommend this B&B and look forward to going back again in the future.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Swimming pool water was a little cool
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2007

My husband and are self-proclaimed foodies. When we look for B&Bs to compliment our vacations, we always make sure both the bed and the breakfast are at least satisfactory. Both Bs at Sky Valley Inn passed with flying colours! The breakfasts were amazing, made with utmost thought and freshest local ingredients (ask for the croissant french toasts with blueberries and brie). The bed was super comfy with a gorgeous view from the room. And the not-so-smothering hospitality just topped it all off!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple