I called a number from a web site titled Beddis House B & B. I booked a room with the owners. When I got to Salt Springs Island I went to the address on the web site and found the B & B shown on the website. It was closed. The owner said he had been out of business for a few years.
I called the 800 # on the website page. It was the same as the number I called to make the reservation. I was told that I had made a reservation with the Sky Valley Inn - not with Beddis House B&B. I drove to the new address and was disappointed with the personnel, the setting and the room.
More specifically, I was disappointed because:
1. The person who greeted me was not friendly or welcoming. She insisted that when she or her husband answer the phone they say "Sky Valley Inn"; the assumptin being that I should have known I was not booking a room @ Beddis House. I am well educated, I know how to travel, I would have been keenly aware if I had been given a name and address different than the Beddis House.
2. There was trash lying in the driveway.
3. The pool was covered. The person who greeted me agreed to take the cover off but informed me that the pool was not heated.
4. The steps/ handrail system to the pool was on the lawn. My husband is disabled and therefore unable to get in and out of a pool without steps and a handrail.
5. The room, althought beautifully decorated and clean, had no privacy. Both sides had sliding glass doors (one to a patio with a view but the patio was not private) the other to the pool seating area. Only one set of doors had screens. The shower was situated within the sitting/bed room and was all clear glass.
6. The inn is up a dusty road high on a hill with no place to walk except on the narrow roads outside the premise. The Beddis Inn - featured on the website where I got the phone number - has walking paths and is closer to the water.
I told the innkeeper that my husband and I were disappointed and wished to find another place to stay. I requested a refund for both nights. She said she had to talk with her husband. I asked her to do so ASAP so we would have time to look for other accommodations. She took about 15 minutes to go down stairs and talk with her husband. They refused our request. I requested a one-night refund. She refused. Her husand, with whom I made the reservation and with whom she consulted regarding our requested refund, did not have the courtsey to come and talk with us.
The room was $220 per night. Her rationale for refusing our requested refund, was that people book 3 weeks in advance. The inn had a vacant room that night and the next night (according to her) so I know she had not turned anyone away.
My husband and I found another room on the island for $135 a night. It was close to the water and the staff were helpful and friendly. As a courtsey I called the Sky Valley inn keeper to let her know we would not be staying there. I asked her to reconsider at least a partial refund. She said nothing.
This is not a place I would recommend to anyone. If this was an honest "mix-up" the fair and decent thing to do would have been to grant us the refund requested. I won't know until my credit card bill arrives what the owner's final decision is but the lack of concern for my husband and I and the stubborn refusal to grant our request has led me to write this criticism of the Sky Valley Inn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quiet French country retreat, outstanding views, private entrances and ensuites, swimming pool, fireplace, gourmet breakfasts. ... more less