“Reliable Chinese "comfort" food at a fair price.”

Golden Island Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

The owner, Sam, and his family are kind and friendly people who've been brining us back, time after time for 14 years. If the craving strikes, it's the only option on Salt Spring, unless you count the potsticker stand at the Saturday market.

As others have recommended, try the Ginger Beef and Wor Wonton soup and Sizzling Rice soup. One reviewer criticised the lack of spice-- if you want Szechuan authenticity, it's true that you have to insist on the dish being spiced heavily. I do.

Whatever the reviewer who claimed food poisoning ate, it didn't come out of Sam's kitchen. That's really a bad rap. I have eaten there literally a hundred times, usually buying dinner or take out for a small army. Its wholesome! It's too bad that reviewers can make unfair statements, especially just a second hand surmise from someone who didn't even personally eat there and I guess didn't tell the truth when he vouched that he did (ie, "I certify that this review is based on my own experience")

Another comment-- this is a humble but presentable place in a small strip mall. The kind of place you take hungry kids too, not your beloved to "pop the question." It's definitely not the place in the picture above. I assume the picture is the view over breakfast at Hastings House, a very expensive, Michelin star caliber Relais and Chateau venue that's a half mile away on the harbour.

3  Thank Dane94306

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Someone posted saying someone got sick after eatin here, I just want to say I'm from the island, I've been going here for 17 years, about 20 times a year, and never have I ever felt ill after. There is the same amount of love and mouth watering experience every time I eat in or take out. If you want the best won ton soup you have ever had be sure to eat here!!!! Yummmmmy!

4  Thank Jaci_me
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We are from a large city with about a million Asian restaurants so weren't expecting much from this restaurant but to our surprise we greatly enjoyed it. The decor is basic and the menu from another time, but the food as excellent. The owner (I assume he was the owner) was happy to talk about Salt Springs and we learned a lot in a few minutes. We will return.

4  Thank MississaugaMonk
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Go there everytime we are visiting and the owner is exceptional with customers and the food is great

4  Thank MDGraham2012
Reviewed 21 September 2011

wonderful food and sammy is an absolute joy. Every time i visit Saltspring Island the first place i want to go is to Golden Island

4  Thank Jennifer H