“Can't be counted on”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Although this attractive restaurant location overlooks Ganges Harbour, the food and service are unreliable. Which isn't to say that both can't be excellent on a good day. Sadly there are too many days when one or other--or both--are downright bad, that few locals choose to go there. It doesn't help that the cranky owner is occasionally there wafting bad vibes.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've been twice recently and each time I've been very surprised by the value, delicious, European style dishes. I like the that you can choose from the menu $19 - 34 and it includes choice of appy and desert. I look forward to our next night out. Not the best of atmosphere.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

The server was apathetic to the point of rudeness so obviously that influences my opinion. The food tastes like poison unless it's server with love and made and presented with care.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I went to a nearby restaurant that was very busy, I checked my IPhone, and based on ratings and reviews I went nearby to Calvin's. First off, the ratings lie. Service was mediocre, Food tasted like it came from a frozen box, Ambiance was OK but we were the only ones there! It was like a ghost house. I checked afterwards and the ratings ARE a lie, because why is one of the ratings using pictures from the websites official page???

...sigh

Overall it was nothing special, Sadly I make better schnitzel at home >_<
What was that saying?
The proof is in the pudding, I chose this diner because of the user input, but it was like a dream that turned into a nightmare! I was so embarrassed to bring my partner here.
Also can you please dust>>>????

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My wife and I decided to visit Salt Spring Island for Valentine’s day.
After looking around for a place to eat we opted for Calvin’s Bistro in downtown Ganges.
They offered a 3 course price fixed menu among other items.
We both had the 3 course dinner and were amazed at the superb quality of food for the price.
I had the Lamb Osso Bucco and my wife ordered the Sole and Prawns with a dill sauce. Great choices.
We also ordered the Brandied Lobster Bisque which was just excellent. The home made deserts were also really decadent.
Calvin’s is a must go restaurant on Salt Spring Island and they made our Valentine’s day more memorable.
We will definitely return.