“Losing points”

Rock Salt Restaurant & Cafe
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Global flavour and island comfort in an 180 degree ocean view dining room. We make everything from scratch and emphasize local ingredients. Our menu is varied with numerous options for carnivores, vegetarians, kids and gluten free diets. We also have a full service in house bakery, grab and go deli and espresso bar.
Reviewed 28 April 2012

This place used to be my fav and I couldn't wait to have business on SSI so I could do lunch here. I haven't been since last summer. I went recently and ordered my usual yam quesadillas. The portion is average for a quesadilla but the price is now $15 a bit much even for the island. But it came with a large side of average at best caesar salad. The quesadillas have been ruined! They used to be delicious and now they've added some totally nasty smoky flavour that totally overpowered the whole thing.

The waitress was completely disinterested in serving me even though only 2 tables were being used. I saw her 4 times menu, order, food drop, bill - no conversation nothing.

I also used to pick up a dessert or more for my family but there was precious little there - the cases used to be full.

The cheesiest thing was that they served me my water in an old used Avalon milk bottle. I hate restaurants that do that. It's not sanitary, and the bottles do not belong to them, they belong to Avalon dairy- you do not buy them you leav ea deposit for return. Low class. I'll be eating at the Salt Spring In next time.

jillthomas, General Manager at Rock Salt Restaurant & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

We would like to apologize for your less than exceptional experience recently at the Rock Salt. It must have been disappointing for you, and for that, we are sorry.

The yam quesadilla continues to be a favourite item on our lunch & dinner menu's, it is amazing how many we sell per year. I really hope it was a case of the cook having a terrible day.

We were very bummed to hear you didn't like our new/recycled Avalon water bottles, we thought they were a cute “Salt Spring” addition to the tables.

We'd love it if you were willing to give us another chance!

Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

The fish&chips were delicious but I have to say that the clam chowder was exceptional.

Thanks for the 2 thumbs up! High 5 to you!!

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Our family heads to Salt Spring Island every summer and we always go to Rock Salt! The food is awesome, and the service is great. We love to sit out on the patio and enjoy the gorgeous ocean view while we eat a meal. The kids love going there too. It's also a great place to stop and grab a coffee and a snack while waiting for the ferry. Good job Rock Salt!!! We'll always be back.

Much appreciation & gratitude back to you for letting us be a part of your family summer trip! I wonder what your favorite meal is? Our patio has undergone a few small renovations this past year to help open up the view & make it a relaxing spot to enjoy your meal before heading off on BC Ferries. Hope your returning this summer.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

We had a fantastic meal there. Mussel's we outstanding!! The Caesar salad is excellent and the stuffed corn fritters are out of this world. If you are on Salt Spring you have to eat here. Also try the rice bowls as they are outstanding. Service was a little slow due to there being just one server for the whole place. The wait was worth it.

1  Thank TDLWest

Wow! What a review, it makes me want to eat here too!! We use Salt Spring Island mussels, which are from a company belonging to friends - part of the beauty of living in a small community. We often send out our recipes, so if you really loved the ceaser, we have great sharing skills - all you have to do is email the manager. The Mexican corn fritters are a product of our chef Joel, who is from Mexico and had fun developing this menu item! Just last night I had our Bombay Surf while dining with a friend & I can't believe I forgot how good it was - it's my recommendation for the next time you return.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Cute place with great service and excellent food! The Pork Ribs were perfect and the lime bar was to die for!!