“We always enjoy the Weigh West”
Review of Marina West Motel

Marina West Motel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Qualicum Beach, Canada
“We always enjoy the Weigh West”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

First, I’d like to remind everyone that you get what you pay for. Also, for those who don’t live on Vancouver Island, make sure you look at a map of the west coast before you book and you’ll see that Tofino and Ucluelet are peninsulas of land. Each community has a “harbour side” and a “wild side.” The wild side, which faces the Pacific ocean, is the expensive side and the harbour side which is also very lovely in its own calm way, is the cheaper side. The Weigh West Marine Resort faces the harbour in Tofino and looks out across Browning Passage towards Meares Island. It is a busy, interesting view but there are no wild waves or “storm watching” that everyone likes to talk about so, if that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll have to spend the extra and stay at one of the fancier hotels on the “wild side.” Having said that, the Weigh West is good value for money, especially if you can take advantage of one of their great promotions. We have stayed there numerous times. We have done the $99 special which was $99 per person per night and included a 2 hour guided kayak trip to Meares Island which was quite unforgettable and I think it even included dinner. This past weekend for our wedding anniversary we took advantage of an offer by SwarmJam and did the $85 special which included a water view suite (I believe all their rooms are water view but ask) for one night and breakfast for 2 in their restaurant, the Blue Heron. What an incredible deal in Tofino! The room was small but clean and had everything we needed including a small fridge for our wine, and a microwave. No tub, just a shower stall. The bed was comfortable, bedding was above par, and there was a little gas fireplace. The view was lovely. The hotel is older to be sure. It’s what I consider to be a “working hotel” with lots of activity, especially fishermen coming and going. The patio could have used a good scrub which I’m sure it will get next spring (it is October now and so the patios aren’t used a lot.) Smoking is allowed on all the patios and we did have smokers on one side of our room which is sooo irritating as every non-smoker knows. I feel the smokers (sorry, smokers but I used to be one too and if I can quit, so can you…) should be put in a separate wing of the resort where they only have each other to annoy with their second hand smoke and hacking morning coughing fits outside on their decks. I did mention this to the reception staff when we checked out. But, as I mentioned, smokers or not, $85 was an awesome deal we felt. If we’d spent $159 for the room, we would not have been so happy I’m sure as we could have gotten a room on the “wild side” for about $179 at Pacific Sands or even Middle Beach Lodge this time of year. But if you’re on a budget, my suggestion would be to stay at the Weigh West and then have a long walk on Chesterman Beach to get your fill of the whole “wild surf” experience. Either that or dine at the Wickininish Inn which will literally set you back for dinner what the Weigh West will cost you for overnight accommodation! But remember what I said, you get what you pay for so don’t expect the less expensive hotels on the quiet harbour side of the peninsula to provide the same standard of accommodation – they are two different animals. One advantage of the Weigh West is that it’s an easy walk into the village of Tofino where gift shops and cafes abound. Whereas, if you stay at any of the more upscale wild side resorts, you’ll need to take your car wherever you go. The restaurant at the Weigh West (the Blue Heron) is really good – we’ve never had a bad meal there and we’ve eaten there many times. Again, not fancy but good value for money, friendly service, and a very pretty outlook over the harbour where there’s always something going on. So before you book at the Weigh West, look at a map, then call the reception desk and see what specials they are offering – as long as you can take advantage of a good special or package, I don't think most people would be disappointed.

Room Tip: If a bathtub is important to you, ask for a room with one. Ditto for a kitchenette.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jmac5959

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2011

great location located within easy walking distance into Tofino town center- the view of the bay and islands is fabulous- nice on-site restaurant

Room Tip: rooms on the 3rd floor are street level and have the best view
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sjkl60
Reviewed 5 September 2011

If you get the $99 walk in price then it's certainly worth it otherwise a bit too pricey. Rooms are clean but old style. Nothing fancy but functional. The TV was broken in our room but there is so much to do outdoor we didn't bother to ask for it to be checked out.

The pub at the dock is pleasent with good beers but also pricey.

The view on the marina is great. Don't expect breathtaking ocean view. It is on the marina but pretty nice at sunset and sunrise.

The staff was very friendly.

If I had to pay more than $100 I would have looked for some of the fancier places closer to downtown.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank shr74
Orebro, Sweden
Reviewed 27 August 2011

As we were getting close to August 1 which is a holiday in B.C. I did not have much choice and Weigh West was recommended by a different resort that could not accomodate me. Check in was smooth and efficient. For the price I paId I did expect something different than I ran into. First of all I had two walk up two fli steep flights of stairs. The accomodation which consisted of a bedroom, livingroom and a dirty balcony which could not be locked which made me a bit uneasy. The whole place looked very shabby and in need of restoration and at the desk there was no electric outlet for a laptop. I had to rearrange the room and sit bent over, at a small table. There was a gas furnace which I did not need but neverless it did not work anyway. After running back and forth to the lobby to voice my complaints a young man came to the room and voila, he managed to fix the balcony door by removing a rubber part that was in the way. It was just pure chance that he found it but he was a very nice young man and helpful. On every baölcony there was a wooden flower pot with nothing but weeds in it and the next day two laborers took them all off and threw them down. Whether they would be replaced or not eluded me.
On the premises there was a restaurant and a pub. The restaurant was not bad and the portions they served were ample.
All in all though the Resort was definitely highly overpriced for the value received.
I would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Tom D

Travellers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was without doubt the worst hotel we have ever had the misfortune to stay in. First impressions are awful and the staff are rude and unhelpful.
How this place can represent itself in the way it does is unbelievable, the pictures on the website are misleading at best!
The rooms are dirty and outdated; the 'lovely' ocean view that is claimed is nothing more than a smelly fishing/boating 'yard'.
We had booked and pre-paid two nights but couldn't bear more than one night and moved on as soon as we possibly could. In fact, if we hadn't had such a long drive to get there that day we wouldn't even have stayed for one night!
Don't waste your money - in fact, sleep in the car!

Room Tip: Don't book one.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Colin S
NanImo BC
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Good Location and the lobby looks good but for 200.00 a night this place truly sucks. We stayed in a King Room with full water view and had reasonable expectations as we have travelled the world . Rooms are not clean, balconies have mould on the concrete, plastic outside chairs are filthy, shake roofs are almost rotting through...vending machines are empty .... needs paint and TLC all round....dont bother... there are lots of other alternatives in the same price range right around the corner....ps... if you walk in on the same day and there is space...you get your room for 95.00 ... which is all these rooms are worth on a good day ....what rip off.... keep going... drive right past it

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BadNanImoBC
Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Celebrating my birthday on the west coast of Vancouver Island in Tofino was awesome this year. We booked a package at the Weigh West Marine Resort that included surf lessons and it was perfect. Arriving at the hotel we went to the pub and enjoyed a delicous lunch at a very affordable price. For Tofino in August a lunch bill less that $ 50 we were very happy. Although the room was not ready for us to check in we were given access to a change room to prepare for our surf lessons. Returning from the ocean a complimentary upgrade was given to us. The room was well appointed with a much needed very hot shower. After getting ready we headed back down to the pub where it was a non stop show of fish after fish being brought up from the charter's that were coming in. This only made me more hungry for dinner. Dinner again like lunch was excellent and very affordable. The friendly staff that worked at the pub, restaurant and hotel lobby all made this trip excellent. I would highly recommend this property to anyone staying on the wild west coast. A short walk into town, and a short drive to the beach it is the perfect combination to give you that amazing west coast experience.

Room Tip: Request a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family