“Whale watching package purchased on line” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marina West Motel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Marina West Motel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Nanaimo, Canada
“Whale watching package purchased on line”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

Obviously better known for the busy harbour experience. We found it very entertaining to sit and watch while having a beer on the outside deck. Huge salmon and halibut cleaned right there much to the delight of the crows. Fishing tours, plane trips all sorts of kayaking readily available. We did the whale watching and got a little history of the area, lots of whales, sea lions and otters etc. One grey whale 30 feet from the boat. People there very helpful. I had the salmon the first night and it was by far the best meal we had there. Seems a little disorganized when it comes to eating and serving. View of the sunset from the diner was really nice. The room was pretty clean comfortable bed and nice little deck with comfortable chairs. Still needs some sprucing up but for the package deal was fair for the money.

Room Tip: Just ask for a water view when you reserve. There is no air conditioning, just a fan. The package co...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MarinaWestTofino, Manager at Marina West Motel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Glad to hear you got to enjoy one of our packages on the coast and feel the same about the views of our busy harbor (get to look at it out my office window everyday!) We have some great winter packages as well so hope to see you back out again soon.

Many Thanks
Duane Bell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

If you are not spending a lot of time in your room, this is a decent option to stay in. Rooms are spacious and clean, but it gets quiet noisy at nights, as the bar in the motel area is the only one open late in town. Staff was pretty nice, had a smooth check-in and check-out. Tofino is not big at all, so everything was a very short drive away from the motel. Chose the surf and stay package, which was a good deal, and I did not have any troubles when I picked up my surf boards from their partner, the Pacific Surf School.

Would stay again, but would look for other options first.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I had to stay here for a few days for business in the end of May. I am sorry Marina west but I was really disappointed. The rooms were clean and small and I was initially happy to see a "modern" high def flat screen in my room. I quickly became disappointed to find out that they had an old cable box hooked into the tv. The picture quality sucked and the sound was really poor. "Thats ok". I thought because I brought my laptop.. After trying for 45 min to connect to the internet I walked up to the front desk to find out that the "free high speed internet" was down and the phone company would be in tomorrow to fix it. The next evening I got the same thing so back to the front desk and I got "they didn't show up but it should be fixed in the next few days".. The food in the restaurant/bar was average at best. Greasy spoon.. Great view of the harbor but with all the great food choices around Tofino and Ucluelet you think that hey might try harder.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank jamaf
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and have looked into the various techincal difficulties while you were here. Please feel free to contact me directly at the motel to discuss.

Many Thanks
Duane Bell

Travellers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two nights at the end of May. We purchased a coupon online which gave us two nights and $50 hotel restaurant credit for $155. It seemed like a good deal and we had never been to Tofino before, so we bought it. Here is a detailed review of the hotel.

Check in:
- Smooth. We didn't have any issues, but the first red flag was the worker telling us that the restaurant on site, Jack's, had live music tonight. She then told us that after dinner is over, it turns into the ONLY pub in town that is open late. Great for if you are looking to party, not so much if you want a relaxing, quiet getaway. We were not impressed to hear that everyone would be heading over to party close to our bedroom.

Rooms:
We stayed in room #60. It was the second floor but we were the one room without a balcony, which was fine. The room was clean and it appears as though they have updated the carpet, paint and bathroom shower fixtures. The bed linens were crisp white and didn't have one of those creepy bed spread covers on top that never get washed. They had a little blanket throw on the edge of the bed, but we took that off. There was only one queen bed but it was comfy and pillows were nice. The room had a TV, which made a loud noise each time you changed the channels and for a flat screen, the picture was poor. However, there were a lot of channels. There was also a microwave, mini fridge and coffee maker. There didn't appear to be air conditioning in the room so be aware of that if you are traveling in the summer. The windows open but there are no screens. The biggest downfall despite the clean room, is that the walls are pretty much paper thin. You can hear people walking above you, walking on the stairs and also talking outside and in the hallway. We had the luxury of having a group of rowdy guys in rooms near us. Apparently they thought it was okay to stand outside in the hallway at midnight and have big conversations, waking everyone up. So bring earplugs. I would recommend even bringing a little fan for white noise if you are driving. Also, our toilet wouldn't refill with water and we had to manually fill the tank by putting cups of water in it a couple times!

Service:
Poor. We left our room at 9am and came back at 430pm, but our room still wasn't made. We called the front desk and they didn't seem to care. They said they would send someone to clean it. By the time someone showed up, we said don't bother, just give us new towels. I made the bed and we left it at that. Pretty disappointing.

Food:
Service and food were great at the Green Room Diner. The views are amazing and I would recommend checking it out.

Overall, I wouldn't ever stay here again or recommend this to a friend. I would recommend eating here, just not staying in the hotel overnight - especially at how much their rates normally are. For what we paid, I guess we got what we paid for. I'd be pretty mad if I paid full price and had that experience. I'd explore other Tofino lodging options or even Ucluelet, which looks like it has some nice places to stay and is close to the Wild Pacific Rim trail!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kerbear175
British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Formerly Weigh West Resort, now appropriately named a Motel. Some upgrades put it above typical motel standards but the walls are thin and our view was of the parking lot.

The location was convenient, right off hwy with diner, pub, marine activity center and fish sales on site. Town centre is a 5 min stroll away.

While overall neat & tidy our TV remote was found on the floor behind the dresser and the terrycloth shower curtain hadn't been washed after previous guests used it as a towel. Our single queen room could've been improved with a wardrobe or wall hooks as the tiny open closet was filled by a standing fan. Also no table or chairs to eat at so I wore my jacket to eat on the patio off my lap in an low lounge chair. No plates or utensils though we had a bar fridge and microwave.

Bottom line - if a grand ocean view or peaceful solitude is not a priority for your Tofino this is a solid, budget friendly option.

• Stayed May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We absolutely loved the whale watching adventure and John our guide was fantastic! The ladies that worked at the Marine Adventure counter were super friendly. We saw a grey whale, humpback, sea otters, seals and bald eagles ... amazing!!
As for the motel itself, the front counter service was great, the rooms were very clean, but unfortunately our room was an adjoining room and we could hear absolutely everything our neighbours said. The only thing that drowned them out was the TV. The shower wasn't the greatest and the bed rolled to the centre. I will say that the balcony was great and overlooked the harbor. The motel included WIFI which didn't work either.
I think that if they made a few modifications, it would be a great place to stay. I wouldn't say I'd never stay there again, but I would make sure they put us in a better and quieter room and make sure all the amenities were working.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

Great location on the water and within a short 5 to10 min walk to a large number of restaurants. Upon arrival was met at the desk by an employee that was really new and was not properly trained as she could not provide any info about the hotel or where any of the amenities were. There is a washing machine and dryer there for guests but the front desk didn't know that. Stayed for a number of days in May and found the housekeeping very poor at best with cleanup consisting of towel change and a poorly made up bed. It would appear that staff consist of 20 something persons who don't care.

Room and decor was nice and out the doors of the motel to the wonderful dock and all the afternoon activity.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo