“Great beach, average expensive hotel”

Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Probably the best beach we've been at in Canada. All rooms look onto the water. Access rooms from outside motel-style. Seem to have received a recent Reno, though usual wear and tear. Large flat beach, no weeds or rocks, water is cold but worth the pain for a great swim, lots of tide pools at edge to explore. Neighbouring properties are cabins and camp sites. Beds are ok, limited coffee (asked for more but didn't receive), poor to no wifi. Had one good night of sleep, another with extremely loud beach music until 5 am, management did nothing, front desk only worried about checkout time the next morning not about stay after only a few hours sleep.
Hot tubs are ok, home tubs showing some wear.
For 400 a night you are buying location. I'd stay at a cabin next time as hotel staff aren't helpful and I believe hotel is too full, no service.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ted B, General Manager at Best Western Tin Wis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 250-725-4445.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed with our kids for a wonderful weekend. The grounds were immaculate, the beach was spectacular and the hotel was excellent. Very clean and modern. All rooms featured a view of the ocean. The entire team really made us feel welcome and I really appreciated how the front desk staff were so willing to answer all our questions. The kids loved exploring the far end of the beach and all the sea life in the tide pools. Beautiful sunsets, fires on the beach, BBQ puts available too, calm water, and close to town. I would highly recommend staying here if you're visiting Tofino. We had an amazing time.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank HUGS154946

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 250-725-4445.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We've just had a three-night stay at the BW Tin Wis with our student daughters, in between a few days in Vancouver City and another week in Ontario. At short notice we found it hard to secure rooms in the Tofino area for the dates we wanted, and were relieved when we found this. If this hotel were in a less enchanting location we would have minded its 'basic' elements (tiny bathroom, thin walls, mediocre decor..), but the view from the window of the lawns sweeping down to white beach and ocean more than made up for any lack. The breakfasts were fantastic, and it was very handy that there was a small laundry for guest use close to our room. Tofino itself was a 3km drive from the hotel, so very convenient for the bear and whale-watching excursions we'd booked. Our daughters were able to book a two-hour, expertly-led paddle-boarding session with instructors based at the hotel, so that was a great bonus. We would return to this hotel because of its chillled atmosphere and wonderful location.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheena H

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I must confess that the last time I stayed here was a couple of years ago. The Tin Wis satisfies most of the requirements of a nice stay. The rooms were comfortable but not lavish. The staff was friendly and helpful. But few come here for hotel amenities. It's all about the beach and the location. The Mackenzie Beach is one of Canada's jewels. Mostly unspoiled and tidal, it is a perfect spot for paddle sports, kayaking, and just plain walking. It's a great place to spend a couple of days on a tour of Vancouver Island,

Room Tip: All rooms have a beachfront view. Simply choose the one that fits your budget. Remember, the room is...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

On your next trip, please call me directly to book your next stay.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We needed a last minute room pet-friendly room in Tofino and ended up choosing Tin Wis for it's excellent location/proximity to MacKenzie beach (calm bay, soft sand, family and dog friendly, paddle boarders, cruise bikes, beach fires, etc). We paid the same price for a ho-hum two queen room that we would've paid for a luxury studio in Ucluelet at Black Rock. The beaches in Ucluelet are beautiful to look at but rugged and rocky. We opted for Tin Wis because we could hang out on the beach all day and into the night, yet have our room only steps away. Walls are thin and you can hear people next door and up above. Staff were very friendly. I'd try the other hotels like Middle Beach Lodge first if you're looking for charm.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This place has huge potential, being right on the beach just outside Tofino. It is a very relaxed, not-too-fussy spot so is good for kids. Parking is almost at your doorstep. No air conditioning which seems to be very common on the island in general. It does cool down at night but sometimes there is not enough air movement for comfortable sleeping. The decor is very basic but reasonably clean. We did receive a call from the front desk shortly after checking in to ask if everything was alright which was a nice touch. The room had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and kettle.
Tin Wis means "calm waters". The beach is lovely to walk along and many folks were having a fire on the beach in the evening which of course created the smell of smoke that wasn't so pleasant in one's room. WiFi was sketchy to say the least.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean - huge plus.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Ample parking, friendly reception decorated with a First Nations theme as is most of the hotel.
All rooms face the beach & sea with either a patio or balcony for the upper floors which is ideal for the spectacular sunsets or just watching the dog walkers during the day. You're allowed to have camp fires on the beach and reception will sell you wood & fire starters or you can collect driftwood straight from the beach.
Breakfast was good, one day we tried elsewhere and they recommended Tin Wis as the best breakfast in the area! Evening meals were always good as was the service.
If there aren't enough walks in the area to keep you active then there is a gym and two hot tubs at the hotel as well as a surf/kayak school.
Tofino is probably about 1.5 miles away.
We stayed for 4 nights and would stay again at the drop of a hat.

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple