“The room stink”

Ranked #16 of 19 Speciality Lodging in Tofino
canada
“The room stink”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Location is good. But the room smells terrible. My son even refused to get into the room at the first place. All bed sheets smell terrible as well.
This is third time we went to Tofino. We had a good time in Tofino except we don't like the resort.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank nicolefung

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband, 3-year old son and I stayed at the campground (in a tent) for one night. We arrived quite late and needed somewhere to stay. Do NOT ever stay here. We travelled around Canada and the States last year for 3 months and 2 months this year and we have never stayed in such an awful place.

The campsites are really close together and either in the bright sun or under trees, which is very dark. It has a feeling of chickens cooped up in cages. The facilities are disgusting! The toilets are horrendous, just dirty little shacks. I took my son to have a wash and the bathroom was just the shower room by the pool. The floors, sinks and shower walls were dirty and covered in hair. The one toilet (slightly cleaner than outside) was blocked. I felt dirty and just wanted to get out. I told my husband and when he went to the men showers, he found that both the toilet and floors were covered in vomit. He went to complain, but the queu was so big that he left it.
We all went into the tent by 9, so we didn't have to move around there anymore. The following morning, we brushed our teeth over the fire pit and rapidly left. We felt dirty and all that for 36.60 dollars! Shocking!

We travel quite a lot and have stayed in a variety of places, but this was without a doubt the worst!
DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Nina25011984

Travellers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Cabin on the Beach...

Pros:
-helpful and eager staff member (note singular) who could not possibly overcome all the challenges she faced

Cons:
-cabin was dank, poorly lit and musty
-dated and tattered decor
-dog poop in the front lawn for the duration of our stay (2 days)
-bushes used as toilets by campers at the site in front of our cabin
-would be expensive even at HALF the price
-sewage backed up, filling the bathtub, sink and toilet
-sewage issue not dealt with in a timely or effective manner

Pro:
-were able to convince the manager to give us a refund for our remaining night and help us find some last minute accomodation

"A true third world experience in gorgeous Tofino"

"Terrible Times in Tofino"

"If you like musty and discusty then stay here!"

"Gross"

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank JellyfishWhalesBreath
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I recently stayed at Mackenzie Beach Resort for a couple of days in the campground this July. Although not fancy I had really enjoyed being right on the beach. We couldn't get any closer. I took advantage of their pool and free showers. The entrance muddy when you walked in, but I did notice staff mopping more then once. It must be because people didn't read the sign that said 'Please no shoes.'

The front desk staff were very helpful and knowledgeable. There was the option of bikes to rent that got dropped off right too us which made it nice to tour around the town.

Over all the resort looks to be shaping up compared to the reviews I read before coming.

The Managers even came to check on us and called us by our names, they were even happy to show us a cottage for our next stay.

I would recommend this resort if you want to be close to the beach with friendly helpful staff around.

Thanks Mackenzie Beach for making our stay in Tofino enjoyable.

Room Tip: Choose the beach!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2013

After reading poor reviews ahead of time, but having no other options for camping available, we decided to book at Mackenzie Beach Resort. I called multiple times to reserve a waterfront site in a prime location, and I was assured that I would have the particular site that I wanted. Funny enough, when I arrived, they had us in a different site which was half the size and away from where we wanted. I had to argue with them to convince them that I had, in fact, booked it weeks ago.

It is hard to call Mackenzie Beach Resort a "resort" or even a proper campsite; the location is literally house with a backyard where they have placed a few picnic tables and logs as dividers and called it a day. If it was a bit less costly than other campsites I would give the place a break, but they are in line with other campsites price-wise, so I will lay out what it is all about so you are forewarned:

- Crammed would be putting it nicely - there is no room to park, let alone camp. Our neighbor's tents were so close that I could hear them breathing at night
- There is no path to the beach, so everyone from the resort used our site as the conduit. It sucked to have people walking through our campsite at 1am
- The place is a mess: bathrooms, pool, showers, all disgusting (the doors to the bathroom wont even close)
- The staff weren't unfriendly, but were definitely jaded and did not go out of their way to make us feel welcome
- The place was clearly no frills - they made me pay to charge my phone (icing on the cake)

In the end, it always comes down to the people that you are with and how you view your vacation. We still had a blast and Mackenzie beach is beautiful, but I would never stay or recommend Mackenzie beach resort.

Room Tip: Just stay away!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelmd88
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Was dissapointed at the campsite. Paid big money for a postage stamp size site that was muddy. Neighbours are right on top of you. No refunds no matter what. Expensive fire wood.
Store prices are super inflated compared to in town.
All things cost extra including wifi. Bring lots of money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Its not easy finding places that are dog-friendly and less than $300/night in Tofino at peak season, but we were thankful to have found McKenzie Beach Resort on short notice (we booked it the day before we arrived, it was $150/night). We stayed in the "Pool Building" in a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchenette. We had our own porch area we did not really get to use due to torrential rain the two days we stayed in Tofino. I wouldn't call this place fancy or anything, it is basically a property that includes campgrounds right next to the cabins. Our porch basically overlooked one of these camping spots and at one point I saw a punk kid urinating in the bushes I was almost thankful that the weather was poor or the campers would have been more rowdy. The suite we were in bordered the parking lot of the fancy hotel next door so occasionally you'd here a loud engine starting up too. Overall though if you're just looking for a simple, CLEAN, and cheap-ish place to sleep in Tofino, I would recommend McKenzie Beach Resort.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple