“Mold in Cottage”

Ranked #16 of 19 Speciality Lodging in Tofino
Kelowna, Canada
“Mold in Cottage”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Beware. My mother and I traveled to Tofino in August. After searching for a place that would meet our preferences: Oceanfront, two-bedroom cottage, Mackenzie Beach Resort met our needs; or so we thought. Check-in was smooth -- office is a rustic environment, and that was okay by us. We trekked down the multiple stairs to the cottage. Upon entering the cottage (I think it was unit #3) my mother had an immediate reaction to what we suspected was mold. She is highly sensitive and any hint of mold will trigger her allergic reaction. At first I thought she may be simply sensitive to the odor that can sometimes accompany moist environments such as our rainforest cottage on the beach. But soon after, I too began to react. Our symptoms: Watering eyes, irritated throat, coughing, irritated nostrils. My mother did tell the the check-in clerk/ assistant manager who had graciously assisted us with our luggage down the many stairs. We knew we could NOT stay here. I phoned everywhere to find an alternative, but every place was fully booked for the night; it was peak season in Tofino. We fortunately found another property that could take us for four nights the next day. All we could do was make the most of it for the one night. One of the bedrooms had a much stronger mold odor than the other. Thus, we decided we would both sleep in one bedroom. My mom slept on one of the mattresses on the floor because the lower bunk bed mattress was not comfortable for her. Next, we went to put our perishables in the fridge. Lo and behold, a layer of sand greeted us in the fridge. I guess housekeeping didn't bother to check the fridge when they cleaned the room. And this wasn't a few grains of sand that we could have wiped ourselves, this was a huge portion of sand. Back up the stairs to the office to complain about the sand. So down again comes the on-duty assistant manager, Crystal to clean the fridge for us. The next morning my mom showered before we left. We realized that the bathroom had HUGE mold issues because we could see it in the corner. I chose not to shower; I didn't want to risk exposing myself to mold toxins. Back up the stairs to the car with all our luggage. I told Crystal we we absolutely were not staying due to mold in the cottage. My mom and I expressed our concerns and stated that we couldn't believe that a health inspector had not been called in because if one had seen this troublesome issue, I am convinced that MacKenzie Beach Cottages would be forced to deal with this for health and safety reasons. Interestingly, the front desk did not act surprised; it was as though others had complained. We felt duped. How can anyone charge $349.00/night and expose them to a dangerous health issue???? Although we did not get our money back, at least they did not charge us for leaving early. We went to a much better resort for less money per night (for a one bedroom) and had the holiday we imagined we would have. It is unfortunate that this property does not put money into properly maintaining their cottages. The location is the most gorgeous location every - prime beach front on MacKenzie Beach. I don't know what the other rooms are like, but we will NEVER return to this property. I hope the management takes heed and invests the necessary expenses to clean the mold and upgrade the unit. I will say that Crystal was helpful when dealing with our concerns -- helping with luggage down stairs; sand in fridge, mold, window that wouldn't open.

Room Tip: The cottages on the beach are the best location in Tofino, unfortunately, ours had a mold issue.
3 Thank time4me64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This property is in need of some serious updating. We arrived, having booked a "cabin," and were shown to a TINY room with a bit of a beach view. The location was truly great, but the room was dated, was barely big enough to fit a queen bed long overdue for a mattress change, and had a funky smell to it.

The girl working the front desk clearly didn't want to be there -- she was from Europe and apparently used to more sunshine than Tofino offers.

I would probably have given three stars, except that the "free" wifi was limited and we ran out within about 18 hours. Unacceptable in this day and age.

I don't think I can really recommend this property until it has been thoroughly revamped and upgraded.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ianbnet

Travellers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Disgusting and filthy, the Health Department and Building Inspectors should investigate this property. The location is great.but nothing else, how this property gets away with this is a mystery. The bedding was stained bathroom filthy windows almost unable to see out, locks loose and falling off, windows not locking

Room Tip: Avoid this dump
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Haggisbasher1948
Slave Lake, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We booked a couple of nights at the Mackenzie Beach Resort and stayed for one night last week, and it was anything but a positive stop on our vacation.

PROS:

- Proximity to the Beach. It is on the beach front, so you literally put your shoes on and take a few steps and you are staring at a beautiful beach within a couple of minutes.

CONS:

- Bad road to the resort. I know this might be considered a budget property and maybe they can't afford to pave the road, but holy crap I might need new tires on my truck after driving that road. This is just the first impression you get when the property right next door has a nicely paved road right to their hotel.

- Pictures misrepresent their rooms. I booked this place because the photos showed a clean, bright and cheery room. The photos looked different than what we got. What we got was a cabin split into 3 units and we got one of the units. Small, almost claustrophobic bathroom, Murphy bed and a tiny couch with dated paneling on the walls and what you would call the "basics". The bathroom had no fan, the windows looked like there was some growth of some kind on them, no A/C and subtle heater. Now, I understand that this resort never claimed to be the Ritz Carleton, so I can live with limited accommodations. But this point is just to say it isn't exactly what I expected given the photos on the website.

- Parking was extremely limited and assigned, so our truck had to fit into a space "assigned" to us, and believe me, we barely fit with all the other people who were staying there.

- Staff wasn't exactly cheerful. The one girl my wife dealt with hardly understood what my wife was asking when she went in for a dish rag and the girl thought my wife wanted kleenex. When I checked in I asked this same girl if I had to pay for the rest of my stay when I checked out and she said in a half snotty voice "No, you're paying right now." Ooookayyyyyy.....

- Price. I know it's Tofino, and I know it's busy season, but I could have went next door and got a better room per night for the price I would have paid per night here. (Maybe a little more money, but the room would have been better)

**** Now, I mentioned that we had booked for two nights, and we only stayed one. And here's why:

Upon preparing the room for us to sleep, my wife moved the couch about 2 inches and my daughter pointed to something on the floor and it happened to be DRUGS. On the floor. With a lighter. Enough drugs in a capsule that if a baby had crawled over to it and put that capsule in it's mouth who knows the damage it could have caused.

Now, this is only a point to be made to illustrate the inspection/cleaning inadequacies. The staff member who processed our checkout and refunded us for our stay the next morning was not happy about what we found, and in fact she looked disgusted, so I'm NOT accusing this resort of anything because this was an obvious oversight by the person who cleaned / inspected the room prior to our arrival. But it is worth noting that I have 2 young children who could have been seriously damaged by whatever was in that capsule. It was disturbing. ****

So, in conclusion, I know it's more of a surfer friendly resort that caters more to people who just wanna explore Tofino and aren't really concerned about their rooms, for a family with young kids like us I would spend more and get a better room at a more established hotel. This resort is a little less family friendly and we were disappointed by what it offered for it's elevated price tag. If you are a person who couldn't care less about the cons I listed above, then the resort's proximity to the water will be a bonus for you.

But if you are a family man looking to book a weekend in Tofino, look elsewhere. This resort will not fill your needs.

Room Tip: Get your own cabin.
2 Thank Scorehound_ca
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

If you expect a 5-star hotel then you should not be here at MacKenize. For the price you're paying at this awfully busy seafaring town of Tofino, you expect the washroom to be harsher than regular motel, you expect the shower facility to be worse than regular hotel, but at least you're saving enough to do a hot spring trip to Hot Springs Cove or a kayaking tour around Clayoquot Sound. So stop complaining!

Cons:

1. Dirty washroom (be sure to use washroom inside the showering facility)
2. Dirty shower (be sure to wear sandals when inside)
3. Small campsite (if you pitch two tents you won't be able to do a camp fire)
4. Not enough electrical outlets (per charge of electrical devices is $2)

Pros:

1. Cheap!
2. Convenient location

Like all popular places be sure to guard your valuables and wear earplugs when sleeping.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Sooke, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We strongly discourage anyone from visiting this "resort", and will never return. The one star is for the beach location, not the campground itself. When we checked in and were handed a washroom/pool/shower key on a hair tie, and then were asked for a $20 cash deposit on the key, this should have been our first clue. The RV site was a muddy combination of dirt and gravel, about three metres from the busy and pothole-ridden access road. Every passing vehicle sounded as though it was going to crash through the side of our tent trailer. The potholes on the road grew in the 48 hours we tolerated this location. We had to pick up garbage on our own site before we could set up, but chose to leave the beer cans in the trees behind our trailer since we didn't have to look at them. The campfire ring had been moved a few times, so there were burnt stones, ash, and wood scattered about. The picnic table was falling apart. Some RV sites and many of the tent sites were completely flooded out after an evening of west coast rain. The pool was closed; staff admitted this was due to high bacteria counts. The bathrooms were inadequate in number, and were filthy, smelly, humid, and poorly constructed with no soap, hot water, and rarely toilet paper. The floors were littered with travel shampoo bottles, clothing items, dirt, and hair. After midnight on our second night of stay, a group pulled in late and began playing loud music and consuming alcohol. Management was at first difficult to contact, and when a young woman finally appeared from the residence, a cloud of pot smoke accompanied her. She seemed unwilling to really deal with our noise complaint at 1am, offering simply to 'call the cops'. We tried to tell ourselves that we were here to enjoy the beach, but on our way down to the water, the sand near the campground was littered with Q-tips, corn cobs, burnt tinfoil and cigarette butts. Not only do the campers here not know how to keep their sites clean, but the management doesn't actually care about the beautiful Tofino beach that draws their clients from around the world. Clearly the stunning location is no more than a money-grab. What truly was a shame was that in the site next to us, a group of high school students and their chaperones from France had to experience all of this. This is what they will remember from their time in Tofino. We left a day early and forfeited our last nights' registration along with another day of enjoying all that Tofino has to offer. We are BC residents, and have camped for over 30 years in almost every province in Canada and in the US, and sadly, Mackenzie Beach Resort is the WORST camping experience we have ever had.

4 Thank S A
Crymych, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We booked a cabin on the beach at MacKenzie Beach Resort. The kitchen was not very well equipped - basics only - the bathroom door didn't lock, which was inconvenient when four people were sharing and the cabin was generally shabby, both furniture and decor. The beds gave the impression of being damp which was supported by the fact that very strong-smelling air-fresheners were plugged in in the bedrooms. The communal barbecue was unusable as the grill had been removed and there was no wood / coal and the outside seating provided was old and shabby, with no table. The road leading to the resort was pitted with holes and very dusty, meaning that cars travelling along it became extremely dirty. The reception area was shabby with very little in the way of goods which could be purchased. There were no public washrooms, so having arrived early and our cabin not being ready, the resort couldn't offer this convenience. The cleaner walked in before we had checked out, not even bothering to knock the door despite the fact that the check-out deadline had not been reached.
We paid a significant sum of money, the same as we had paid previously at a neighbouring resort, but there was a huge difference in the quality of that other resort and this one.

Room Tip: Try Crystal Cove resort on the same beach. It's expensive but lovely.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends