I’ve been camping my fair share over the years and have been to many many many campsites all over and I have never been to a place as bad as this. I’m laid back when it comes to camping and expect very little when living the tent site lifestyle but this place pushed it to the max. I can only be thankful from this experience is that we only had to endure one night. If
Our original spot was in the back lot. When we went to our assigned spot the ground was nothing but rocks, not gravel or reasonable smooth stones but small sharp rocks. It was very small and far away from the bathrooms. We played the game and forked out the extra money to camp on the beach to at least have a reasonable surface to sleep on.
Bathrooms were small cramped and disgusting. There are only three bathrooms for all campers. One of the bathrooms had human waste smeared on the walls. The walls are also full of graffiti including inappropriate language. The bathrooms are also so small and cramped that trying to change close is nearly impossible without leaning up against a wall. Also, there is no soap so bring your own to wash your hands.
Showers…we never got to see or use the showers. Though we paid the fee for the night we never got to use this amenity. We got in later than expected and were denied access to the showers unless we gave a cash only deposit for a key. Being it was late and we had no cash on us we lost out on our paid for showers.
In regards to parking, there was very little parking for beach campsites. You have to haul everything for your campsite with you and find a random place to park your car. There was little parking space that was near the road that led to the campsite.
BEARS! Bears are common to be seen or observed around the area and wilderness of Vancouver Island (hence the offered bear watching tours). This place did not have a bear proof dumpster. How that’s even a possibility to not have one in an area that is known to have bears is irresponsible. As I was walking to the bathroom at night I found myself crossing paths with a bear who was on his way to visiting the dumpster. Fortunately he took off when we made eye contact, but later in the morning I found he had returned by seeing the entire dumpster emptied out and smeared across the parking lot. How can a place that offers camping be so irresponsible?
Don’t stay here or camp here. The photos on their website are misleading or as we call selective photography. Go somewhere else. There are plenty of other places to stay with a beach view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beachfront Resort is located on beautiful MacKenzie Beach and has cabins and suites only 2km from town of Tofino. Camping area for tents and RV's. Indoor heated salt water swimming pool(which is currently down for repairs) and hot tub for guests Resort & camping open year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your MacKenzie Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mackenzie Beach Hotel Tofino
- MacKenzie Beach Resort Tofino, Canada - Vancouver Island