“Never Expected it to be This Bad”

and 1 more site!
MacKenzie Beach Resort
Ranked #18 of 20 Speciality Lodging in Tofino
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Never Expected it to be This Bad”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I’ve been camping my fair share over the years and have been to many many many campsites all over and I have never been to a place as bad as this. I’m laid back when it comes to camping and expect very little when living the tent site lifestyle but this place pushed it to the max. I can only be thankful from this experience is that we only had to endure one night. If
Our original spot was in the back lot. When we went to our assigned spot the ground was nothing but rocks, not gravel or reasonable smooth stones but small sharp rocks. It was very small and far away from the bathrooms. We played the game and forked out the extra money to camp on the beach to at least have a reasonable surface to sleep on.
Bathrooms were small cramped and disgusting. There are only three bathrooms for all campers. One of the bathrooms had human waste smeared on the walls. The walls are also full of graffiti including inappropriate language. The bathrooms are also so small and cramped that trying to change close is nearly impossible without leaning up against a wall. Also, there is no soap so bring your own to wash your hands.
Showers…we never got to see or use the showers. Though we paid the fee for the night we never got to use this amenity. We got in later than expected and were denied access to the showers unless we gave a cash only deposit for a key. Being it was late and we had no cash on us we lost out on our paid for showers.
In regards to parking, there was very little parking for beach campsites. You have to haul everything for your campsite with you and find a random place to park your car. There was little parking space that was near the road that led to the campsite.
BEARS! Bears are common to be seen or observed around the area and wilderness of Vancouver Island (hence the offered bear watching tours). This place did not have a bear proof dumpster. How that’s even a possibility to not have one in an area that is known to have bears is irresponsible. As I was walking to the bathroom at night I found myself crossing paths with a bear who was on his way to visiting the dumpster. Fortunately he took off when we made eye contact, but later in the morning I found he had returned by seeing the entire dumpster emptied out and smeared across the parking lot. How can a place that offers camping be so irresponsible?

Don’t stay here or camp here. The photos on their website are misleading or as we call selective photography. Go somewhere else. There are plenty of other places to stay with a beach view.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PhotoJAC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Chemainus, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2013

MBR is located right at the beach and close to Tofino. We stayed 3 nights in suite 14, part of the pool building. The suite was clean and convenient and the BR was quiet. Linens weren't new but everything was very clean. The salt water pool and hot tub were immaculately clean. Service was friendly and helpful.
The beach is sheltered by a group of small islands near shore. The sunsets are stunning, just like a Roy Henry Vickers print. It's very popular with dog owners who mostly let their dogs run free. To escape the dogs and find the open ocean, Chesterman Beach is a 2 minute drive south and Incinerator Rock at Long Beach is about 10 minutes away.
Note: Value rating is based on Tofino prices during the warm season.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
British Columbia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed in Cabin #1 for three nights with guests from the UK (a total of 6 people). We all enjoyed our stay - the location is perfect, right on the beach. The cabin is comfortable and tidy and we had no problems. It's not upscale but it's totally acceptable. Towels are not new; bedding is not new; but everything's clean and perfectly serviceable. Being right on the water on the edge of a rainforest, things get damp and don't dry easily but that's an outcome of the climate. Staff are friendly and helpful; no problems there. We had free Wifi, firewood, and all our questions were answered in a courteous manner. We very much enjoyed the hot tub!

The only drawback, and this is not specific to the resort, is that MacKenzie Beach is over-run with dogs! With several properties on the beach that accommodate dogs, it's basically turned the beach into a big dog park. Most are off leash and a lot of the owners don't pick up after them. I am a dog owner and I love dogs but I don't appreciate off-leash dogs in a place that's important habitat for shorebirds. I feel that users of the resort should leash their dogs and not allow them to roam free and that goes for EVERYONE who brings their dogs to the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We booked this hotel for a one-night stay in Tofino in August. We accidentally drove past the facilities and ended up at Middle Beach Resort, where the receptionist directed us to "go back to where all the potholes are in the road".

When we entered the office, we immediately understood why we had never gotten the confirmation email that we had requested. There were signs listing the cost to pay for wifi and an additional cost if you needed to plug in any of your devices to charge them.

We were shown to our room, which we were told was one of the nicest they had, and it was absolutely filthy. We did not even need to unmake the bed or inspect behind the furniture to see that it hadn't been properly cleaned or maintained. We decided right away to cut our losses and find somewhere else to spend the night.

We were not looking for anything fancy or upscale, just somewhere clean to sleep. This was not it. The Mackenzie Beach Resort has a good location and would gain a lot from a thorough cleaning and some maintenance of their grounds and units.

Room Tip: We paid extra for an ocean-view room. Some cabins may have ocean-view rooms but our view was impeded...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Allison B

Travellers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Beware. My mother and I traveled to Tofino in August. After searching for a place that would meet our preferences: Oceanfront, two-bedroom cottage, Mackenzie Beach Resort met our needs; or so we thought. Check-in was smooth -- office is a rustic environment, and that was okay by us. We trekked down the multiple stairs to the cottage. Upon entering the cottage (I think it was unit #3) my mother had an immediate reaction to what we suspected was mold. She is highly sensitive and any hint of mold will trigger her allergic reaction. At first I thought she may be simply sensitive to the odor that can sometimes accompany moist environments such as our rainforest cottage on the beach. But soon after, I too began to react. Our symptoms: Watering eyes, irritated throat, coughing, irritated nostrils. My mother did tell the the check-in clerk/ assistant manager who had graciously assisted us with our luggage down the many stairs. We knew we could NOT stay here. I phoned everywhere to find an alternative, but every place was fully booked for the night; it was peak season in Tofino. We fortunately found another property that could take us for four nights the next day. All we could do was make the most of it for the one night. One of the bedrooms had a much stronger mold odor than the other. Thus, we decided we would both sleep in one bedroom. My mom slept on one of the mattresses on the floor because the lower bunk bed mattress was not comfortable for her. Next, we went to put our perishables in the fridge. Lo and behold, a layer of sand greeted us in the fridge. I guess housekeeping didn't bother to check the fridge when they cleaned the room. And this wasn't a few grains of sand that we could have wiped ourselves, this was a huge portion of sand. Back up the stairs to the office to complain about the sand. So down again comes the on-duty assistant manager, Crystal to clean the fridge for us. The next morning my mom showered before we left. We realized that the bathroom had HUGE mold issues because we could see it in the corner. I chose not to shower; I didn't want to risk exposing myself to mold toxins. Back up the stairs to the car with all our luggage. I told Crystal we we absolutely were not staying due to mold in the cottage. My mom and I expressed our concerns and stated that we couldn't believe that a health inspector had not been called in because if one had seen this troublesome issue, I am convinced that MacKenzie Beach Cottages would be forced to deal with this for health and safety reasons. Interestingly, the front desk did not act surprised; it was as though others had complained. We felt duped. How can anyone charge $349.00/night and expose them to a dangerous health issue???? Although we did not get our money back, at least they did not charge us for leaving early. We went to a much better resort for less money per night (for a one bedroom) and had the holiday we imagined we would have. It is unfortunate that this property does not put money into properly maintaining their cottages. The location is the most gorgeous location every - prime beach front on MacKenzie Beach. I don't know what the other rooms are like, but we will NEVER return to this property. I hope the management takes heed and invests the necessary expenses to clean the mold and upgrade the unit. I will say that Crystal was helpful when dealing with our concerns -- helping with luggage down stairs; sand in fridge, mold, window that wouldn't open.

Room Tip: The cottages on the beach are the best location in Tofino, unfortunately, ours had a mold issue.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank time4me64
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This property is in need of some serious updating. We arrived, having booked a "cabin," and were shown to a TINY room with a bit of a beach view. The location was truly great, but the room was dated, was barely big enough to fit a queen bed long overdue for a mattress change, and had a funky smell to it.

The girl working the front desk clearly didn't want to be there -- she was from Europe and apparently used to more sunshine than Tofino offers.

I would probably have given three stars, except that the "free" wifi was limited and we ran out within about 18 hours. Unacceptable in this day and age.

I don't think I can really recommend this property until it has been thoroughly revamped and upgraded.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ianbnet
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Disgusting and filthy, the Health Department and Building Inspectors should investigate this property. The location is great.but nothing else, how this property gets away with this is a mystery. The bedding was stained bathroom filthy windows almost unable to see out, locks loose and falling off, windows not locking

Room Tip: Avoid this dump
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo