“Excellent location, very good for what I paid”

MacKenzie Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 18 Speciality Lodging in Tofino
Kent
“Excellent location, very good for what I paid”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have just returned from Tofino and stayed at Macknezies 16th,17th and 18th Sept 2013. Before I went I had read the reviews, good and bad so wasn’t quite sure but had a feeling all would be good-and I was right. First off I found the lady who checked me in as very polite and helpful. I was given cabin 7. Absolutely spotless, the stone tiled floor there was no dust built up, the bathroom shower too- normally you would have a slight discolouring or evidence of lime scale - but none. Nice toilettes which I was not expecting.
The microwave, kettle, coffee machine(with coffee) utensils all clean.The bed was very comfortable, sheets clean with no smell!(as mentioned in another review on here) It is dated, the windows sliding type and basic- but you have to remember the price is cheaper, and if you want Best Western up dated style etc.....go to Best Western, and pay the price !
I had a lovely view though trees facing the sea, and 20 seconds down some steps I was on the beach. At night the sound of the sea was lovely. Ideal location, 35mins walk from Tofino and there is a cycle track you can walk all rather than on the road. Also within 15 minutes walk form the resort is a small but great grocery store, smoothie place, grill take out, couple of clothing stores and bike hire. There is a coast walk being built from Mckenzies to Tofino, but its not yet complete
On my check out I promised to write a review, it is my honest reflection of a great stay and would recommend the cabins. I paid £208 for the three nights,Very good, great location. You've got to go and see the sunsets on the beach!

Room Tip: I would recommend Cabin 7, which is a double room . I was travelling on my own and this was spot on
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The cabin is nice enough, wood for fire was wet though, pool not open. Just think people of tofino should feel guilty for the price charged! $800 for 2 nights on a rainy September?? You could almost build a cabin for that price. Last year we went to Washington and got a cabin on the beach for $60..... Less than 10 percent of the price...fishing was better also.

3 Thank geodiner

Travellers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I never ended up staying here as I was completely put off by the appalling customer service during the booking process.

I booked a 3 bedroomed cabin via their website and received an email confirmation, only to hear later that they were not taking bookings and they would not honour my existing booking.

They were rude and unapologetic and I have no intention of considering this resort in the future.

6 Thank sarah B
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I’ve been camping my fair share over the years and have been to many many many campsites all over and I have never been to a place as bad as this. I’m laid back when it comes to camping and expect very little when living the tent site lifestyle but this place pushed it to the max. I can only be thankful from this experience is that we only had to endure one night. If
Our original spot was in the back lot. When we went to our assigned spot the ground was nothing but rocks, not gravel or reasonable smooth stones but small sharp rocks. It was very small and far away from the bathrooms. We played the game and forked out the extra money to camp on the beach to at least have a reasonable surface to sleep on.
Bathrooms were small cramped and disgusting. There are only three bathrooms for all campers. One of the bathrooms had human waste smeared on the walls. The walls are also full of graffiti including inappropriate language. The bathrooms are also so small and cramped that trying to change close is nearly impossible without leaning up against a wall. Also, there is no soap so bring your own to wash your hands.
Showers…we never got to see or use the showers. Though we paid the fee for the night we never got to use this amenity. We got in later than expected and were denied access to the showers unless we gave a cash only deposit for a key. Being it was late and we had no cash on us we lost out on our paid for showers.
In regards to parking, there was very little parking for beach campsites. You have to haul everything for your campsite with you and find a random place to park your car. There was little parking space that was near the road that led to the campsite.
BEARS! Bears are common to be seen or observed around the area and wilderness of Vancouver Island (hence the offered bear watching tours). This place did not have a bear proof dumpster. How that’s even a possibility to not have one in an area that is known to have bears is irresponsible. As I was walking to the bathroom at night I found myself crossing paths with a bear who was on his way to visiting the dumpster. Fortunately he took off when we made eye contact, but later in the morning I found he had returned by seeing the entire dumpster emptied out and smeared across the parking lot. How can a place that offers camping be so irresponsible?

Don’t stay here or camp here. The photos on their website are misleading or as we call selective photography. Go somewhere else. There are plenty of other places to stay with a beach view.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PhotoJAC
Chemainus, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2013

MBR is located right at the beach and close to Tofino. We stayed 3 nights in suite 14, part of the pool building. The suite was clean and convenient and the BR was quiet. Linens weren't new but everything was very clean. The salt water pool and hot tub were immaculately clean. Service was friendly and helpful.
The beach is sheltered by a group of small islands near shore. The sunsets are stunning, just like a Roy Henry Vickers print. It's very popular with dog owners who mostly let their dogs run free. To escape the dogs and find the open ocean, Chesterman Beach is a 2 minute drive south and Incinerator Rock at Long Beach is about 10 minutes away.
Note: Value rating is based on Tofino prices during the warm season.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
British Columbia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed in Cabin #1 for three nights with guests from the UK (a total of 6 people). We all enjoyed our stay - the location is perfect, right on the beach. The cabin is comfortable and tidy and we had no problems. It's not upscale but it's totally acceptable. Towels are not new; bedding is not new; but everything's clean and perfectly serviceable. Being right on the water on the edge of a rainforest, things get damp and don't dry easily but that's an outcome of the climate. Staff are friendly and helpful; no problems there. We had free Wifi, firewood, and all our questions were answered in a courteous manner. We very much enjoyed the hot tub!

The only drawback, and this is not specific to the resort, is that MacKenzie Beach is over-run with dogs! With several properties on the beach that accommodate dogs, it's basically turned the beach into a big dog park. Most are off leash and a lot of the owners don't pick up after them. I am a dog owner and I love dogs but I don't appreciate off-leash dogs in a place that's important habitat for shorebirds. I feel that users of the resort should leash their dogs and not allow them to roam free and that goes for EVERYONE who brings their dogs to the area.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We booked this hotel for a one-night stay in Tofino in August. We accidentally drove past the facilities and ended up at Middle Beach Resort, where the receptionist directed us to "go back to where all the potholes are in the road".

When we entered the office, we immediately understood why we had never gotten the confirmation email that we had requested. There were signs listing the cost to pay for wifi and an additional cost if you needed to plug in any of your devices to charge them.

We were shown to our room, which we were told was one of the nicest they had, and it was absolutely filthy. We did not even need to unmake the bed or inspect behind the furniture to see that it hadn't been properly cleaned or maintained. We decided right away to cut our losses and find somewhere else to spend the night.

We were not looking for anything fancy or upscale, just somewhere clean to sleep. This was not it. The Mackenzie Beach Resort has a good location and would gain a lot from a thorough cleaning and some maintenance of their grounds and units.

Room Tip: We paid extra for an ocean-view room. Some cabins may have ocean-view rooms but our view was impeded...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple