“Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #16 of 19 Speciality Lodging in Tofino
Victoria, Canada
“Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Decided to stay with Mackenzie Beach Resort for 2 nights while visiting Tofino for some surfing. We stayed in a one bedroom cabin with a partial ocean view, it was clean, cozy and cute!! The staff were more than accommodating and helpful with any questions we had. The resort has a great sized salt water pool and a hot tub. Everything was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable! I would most definitely recommend Mackenzie Beach to anyone looking to stay in Tofino! I will be back :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
MBR_Manager, General Manager at MacKenzie Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Vanislgirl,

Thank you very much for your recent review of the MacKenzie Beach Resort.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also glad to see that you have noticed all the positive changes that we as new managers have put into place.

I would love to have you stay again at our resort
and I wish you in the meantime all the best.

Kind regards,

Ben

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
north vancouver
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here for one night over the Easter long weekend. We had already booked two days at another resort, but when we decided to stay an extra day, they could not accommodate the two of us and our dog. We spoke to Ben at MacKenzie Beach and were able to negotiate a great deal for a 2 Bedroom oceanview cottage. We have passed by this place for years mainly because it wasn't welcoming and reviews were so so. We went in with no expectations, just happy to have a place to stay. The cabin was huge, the views were spectacular and the proximity to the beach was perfect. This place is real Tofino - rustic, loads of dishes and mugs and they don't match, but they work. Bed was comfy, bathroom was clean and well stocked. Firewood supplied for the wood stove. When we checked in, Ben directed us to the cabin (actually led us there) opened it up and offered to carry our bags. Didn't get that service at the resort at the other end of the beach. The grounds are the same - not terribly welcoming, but this helps keep this little gem a secret. The only thing that would make this place perfect is a deck off the front of these cabins to enjoy the beautiful views. Well done MacKenzie Beach Resort!

Room Tip: Ocean Front or Ocean View are great
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MBR_Manager, General Manager at MacKenzie Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear DKF03,

Thank you very much for your recent review of the MacKenzie Beach Resort.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and your feedback is much appreciated.

I try to have a personal interaction with all guests checking in with us, I believe that this creates a warm and welcoming atmosphere for everybody staying here.

Once more I would like to thank you and I hope to see you again next time in Tofino, this time with more sunshine.

Kind regards

Ben
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Coming to Tofino at least 5 times a year, my girlfriend, dog & I are so happy we discovered Mackenzie! Having stayed in pretty much every hotel on the water front Mackenzie is your best bang for buck, hands down. The staff & management was very accommodating & friendly. You get an ocean front luxury experience for half the price you are going to pay at any of the high end place's in Tofino. Another great selling point for us was there salt water pool & hot tub, which after a long day surfing there was nothing better. I almost didn't want to right this review as Mackenzie seems like Tofino's last hidden gem. Well Done Mackenize Beach Resort, I'm sure we will be coming back for many more visit's!

Room Tip: Any of the cabins.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MBR_Manager, General Manager at MacKenzie Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Hi Ben,

Thank you very much for your great review of the Mackenzie Beach Resort. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay with us.
My partner and I have taken over as new managers and we are eager to show everybody what a marvelous little "gem" the resort actually is.

I hope to see you again in the future, come rain or shine, Tofino is worth a travel.

Ben & Maddie
Tofino, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Two of my children and myself headed out for a spontaneous road trip, after a long winter indoors. We packed in 20 minutes, headed out the door and drove to Tofino. After stopping at the dollar store to pick up shovels and pails we drove to Long Beach. By the late afternoon we decided it would sure be fun to find a room to stay in so we could come back to build more sandcastles the next day. Preferably somewhere with a pool or hot tub. We pulled into the Mackenzie Resort and were greeted with very friendly and very accommodating staff. They gave us a beautiful room at a very reasonable rate and made sure we were very well taken care of. I will be recommending all my friends and family to come here and I will also be returning to this Resort in the near future and for many more very much needed, relaxing and fun filled stays myself.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Having stayed at numerous similar places around the Gulf Islands, and knowing how expensive Tofino has become, I would definitely recommend it. Can't speak to the other units, but the 2 bedroom beachfront unit was great for a family of 4 and a dog. It was clean and comfortable with an amazing view. The kitchen was more than adequate for simple meals, the bathroom was fairly new and the wood-supplied fire-place topped it off. It is definitely on the rustic side though, so don't expect Egyptian cotton towels or marble counter-tops. Our only two negatives would be the curtains were too short so didn't really work to block any morning light, and the light-bulbs were the cool blue, last forever type which didn't make for a nice quality of light at night. The pool was a bit unattractive because of the mineral staining, but that's just a sign of age, not cleanliness. Otherwise, the proprietors were helpful and available whenever there was an issue, and of course, the view was to die for. We were steps from a world-class beach, and enjoyed all the amazing food Tofino has to offer. Food delights: Sobo, Shelter and Wildside Grille. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: If you're going to Tofino, if you can afford it, go for the rooms with a view, especially if you...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The entire Tofino area has now become a World Class destination with World Class pricing. What a relief to find the Mckenzie Beach Resort. A perfect destination for young families, on limited budgets, who want to experience the grandness of the Canadian West Coast. With the ridiculous closing of the Pacific Rim National Park in the winter months Mckenzie Resort offers the best value considering the alternatives.

Arriving in the off season, in mid November, the place was perfect. Resort owners Dorothy and her dog Kiera and the rest of the staff were kind, fun loving and very down to earth. The refreshing walks along the many beaches in the area were perfectly topped off in the evenings with a swim and soak in their indoor sea water pool and hot tub. My wife and I would highly recommend this place to anyone.
Dennis and Gladys

Room Tip: we stayed in our truck and camper
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dennis p
Colorado
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We have just left Tofino and the very beautiful MacKenzie beach. I believe that I had perhaps the best nights sleep I have had in years at Mackenzie Beach Resort! I felt safe and the fantastic pool and hot tub was an extra treat. ( My 9 yr old wanted me to add that). I felt that everyone was very accommodating and very nice to me. The price was great and the proximity to the beach is fantastic! I met the most wonderful people on the beach and loved all the dogs running until their hearts were content! We truly did not want to leave:). Thank you, Dorothy and Kiera!

Room Tip: We travelled in a motor home. RV section is very close to the pool!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family