Maquinna Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewscommon roomliquor storegreat locationbudget hotelsoap and shampooice machinereasonable rateswithin easy walking distanceclean roomsfree wifimain flooressentialsbathtublinens
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

PROS:

The hotel is under new ownership and is currently undergoing a complete renovation. I was fortunate to be given one of the newly renovated rooms, which was a queen suite that included a separate living room/sitting area. The new beds are very comfortable and rival those found in 4- and 5-star hotels. The rooms are modernly furnished and provide enough comfort for a one-night stay or a 7-night stay. I loved the locally sourced bathroom amenities (i.e. body wash, shampoo, etc.) too. I really think the hotel should open a little gift shop in their lobby to sell these items (or inform guests as to where they can buy them locally). Of course you can't beat the location in Tofino--it's walking distance to everything you need (well except if you're a surfer looking for the best breaks). Finally, I found the person who checked me in, very personable and was thrilled that he let me check in early (he even called me on my cellphone to let me know that my room was ready).

CONS:

There are limited front desk hours (10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) so if you arrive outside of these hours, you have to retrieve your key from a little lock box near the front of the hotel. The renovations seems to stop at the bed- or living room--some upgrades are still needed in the bathroom (i.e. towels and bathtub) but this isn't too much of an issue. While the hotel has (re-)opened a pub onsite, it has limited hours (i.e. it's not open every night) so I never got to visit it during this stay. I hope their renovations include a "spruce-up" of their exterior as well as it still looks like the old Maquinna Lodge (and may give that impression as well).

OVERALL:

This hotel, now simply called "The Maq Hotel", has a lot of potential and will be an excellent addition to Tofino, especially those looking for more of a boutique hotel experience. That said, when renos are completed, the price may sky-rocket like the rest of the hotels in Tofino. Additionally, once the secret is out about this hotel, I fear that it'll be impossible to get a room here in the future.

I stayed at this hotel last year when it was called the Maquinna Lodge and probably would have given an overall rating of 1 at that time. If it wasn't for the few minor issues with the current Maq Hotel, I would have likely given it a rating 5. I expect that you'll see a lot more rating of 4 and 5 when the renovations are completed.

I look forward to returning to the Maq very soon.

Room Tip: Ask for Suite 207. The bedroom is next to a linen/housekeeping closet so you don't here any noise at night.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Yale_Alum
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I entered this place by chance, they had a last minute cancellation on a long weekend!! HOLY SMOKES, they got us a nice room with a view of the water, and the room was possibly as cheap as the hostel nearby. Excellent spot! Free Wifi too!

Room Tip: Ask for water facing rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dylan J
Reviewed 6 September 2017

We visited the Maquinna Lodge for three nights with friends. The hotel is in a perfect location, close to everything Tofino has got to offer. The views of the sea from the room are very good also, we didn't pay extra for a view but if I was to stay there again I would, as when I passed the open doors to other rooms, the view of the bay was amazing. The staff were very friendly and helpful too, it seems to be a family run business, which is good to see. There was also free coffee, which was a hit with the coffee drinkers in our group.

Despite the pluses, the hotel is very very basic, the rooms are poorly decorated and outdated, with a large plumbing pipe going over the center of the room's ceiling. The shower was the worst I have ever experienced, with it going hot then cold, powerfully then slowly. The walls are very thin also, so be prepared to listen into next door's antics.

I'd recommend paying slightly more for somewhere else, however if this is the only place in town available, go for it and don't spend much time in the room, Tofino makes up for the lack of hotel quality.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Toby H
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

This outdated, institution style hotel offers nothing but an ideal location. Beds were very uncomfortable, furnishings sparse. It reminded me of a convent! Not the type of room you hang out and relax in. However on the plus side, location is ideal right in town and parking is free. Hotel staff was certainly hospitable enough but don't expect any amenities, not even a hair dryer. Price was affordable for Tofino which is on the pricey side and is definitely a young persons town.
Look elsewhere or go elsewhere!

Happy Travels!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank AlamosJude
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Good location, central to everything and close to the water., shops and restaurants. Kind hosts that helped us carry our luggage to our room. Rooms are simple, but clean. Parking is excellent and close.

Room Tip: facing water.....no balconies
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends