We stayed at the Pacific Sands for one week in July. We stayed in a beachfront suite. The building itself is older (built in the 60's I think?) and in need of some repairs.
The suites have been renovated and are tastefully decorated however don't judge a book by its cover. We could hear absolutely EVERY single step that was taken in the suite above us. So when they got up at 6am, so did we because it was so loud it sounded like they were in the room with us.
One night, my husband and I were trying to get to sleep despite all the noise above us, when we heard drip, drip, drip which progressively was getting louder and faster. When we went to see what was going on, there was water pouring through the light fixture in the ceiling. I ran to the front desk (because the rooms don't have phones) and was told "oh ya, the people above you must have forgotten to put the shower curtain inside the shower) and was given a few towels to mop it up myself.
Certainly not what you would expect from "a resort" that costs $300/night! Not to mention, the complete electrical shock hazard if I was to turn on the light!!!
Another night I could hear some kind of noise in the kitchen that I was sure was a mouse (hopefully not bigger).
The room also had a spot close to the fireplace that had a terrible "fishy" smell. We had no idea what it was.
The pull out bed was horrible with a terrible mattress.
The housekeeping service does not include doing dishes or sweeping, essentially they just make the beds and exchange the towels. Your dirty dishes are left in the sink for you to do.
You should also note there is no restaurant at the Pacific Sands.
Despite all of this, the property is beautiful and on a really great surfing beach. The beach here is quite windy, there are other more sheltered beaches if you aren't surfing. There are some great activities for kids and a covered shelter with an open fire for roasting marshmallows.
We have stayed in Tofino at other places and this was not our favourite. If you are looking for kitchenettes, the Tin Wis Resort is a better bang for your buck and has better housekeeping and a restaurant on a beautiful sheltered beach. Or better yet, rent a house or cabin through one of the vacation companies!
Another favourite of ours is the Long Beach Lodge (right next door to the Pacific Sands) but I don't believe they have kitchenettes.
Regardless of where you stay, the Pacific Rim has the most beautiful beaches in Canada and Tofino is a very special place worth the visit (even though we wish it was a secret).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pacific Sands Beach Resort is located on 41 pristine acres of property and 2500 feet of ocean front on Cox Bay. Adjacent to the Pacific Rim National Park all suites and Luxury Beach Houses offer spectacular ocean or beach front views, mesmerizing sunsets and breathtaking storm watching. A walk to Pettinger Point is a must. Enjoy unrivaled culinary splendors at one of Tofino's many restaurants. Adventure tours of the Clayoquot Sound, beach combing and surfing are the most popular activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Pacific Sands Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pacific Sands Beach Hotel Tofino
- Pacific Sands Beach Tofino
- Pacific Sands Beach Resort Tofino, Canada - Vancouver Island