“Serenity, Defined!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“Serenity, Defined!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the beautiful Pacifc Sands Beach Resort and loved every minute of it! We were fortunate enough to have booked into one of the gorgeous beach houses located just a few steps from the quiet, sandy beach. The comfort of the beach house was beyond our expectations... especially the master bedroom with the deep soaker tub (which was complete with sandy beach views, candles and a nearby fireplace!) The amenities were all there, including; a fully stocked kitchen, make-up remover wipes in the washrooms and bath salts next to the tub. The bed was uber-heavenly and positioned so that you could hear the waves crashing in and see the sunrise/sets without leaving the comfort of it. Whether you spend the day surfing, hiking or exploring it's hard to pick your retreat at the end of the day; that bed, the tub or the fire-pit... so we went with all three! If you are looking for a romantic and relaxing retreat in Tofino, look no further than Pacific Sands Beach Resort!

Room Tip: WELL worth the slightly higher cost for one of the luxurious (and large!) beach houses
1 Thank TravellingConcierge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

We recently booked for two nights in a Lighthouse suite. When we arrived, Kristen checked us in (very friendly and welcoming) and we were upgraded to a Beachfront suite. The suite was very nice, clean, with bathroom, kitchen, living area etc. and was only footsteps from a beautiful beach. The accommodation was exactly what we were looking for and met our expectations. My only criticism would be the up/down noise transfer between units. It sounded like here was a herd of elephants upstairs, so I would recommend asking for an upstairs unit particularly if you are a light sleeper.

Room Tip: Request a top floor unit
Cumberland, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I had a wedding to attend in Ucluelet and decided to make a weekend out of it. Our family had given us a gift cert. for Pacific Sands so we were excited to stay there again. We stayed 7 years ago for our honeymoon and were eager to get back. The resort has had some great updates and is well maintained. This time we stayed in a Beach Front Suite and were very happy with our room. Being able to see Cox bay from our couch/living room was very enjoyable, but also having direct access to the beach is a positive for us. We enjoyed the coffee bar as well, it allowed us a tasty treat for our walks on the beach in the morning and we didn't have to go into town. We were also happy that since our last stay there is WiFi in the rooms, we were able to connect for web-browsing and email quickly and the signal was good. We loved the hotel staff, they were very helpful, courteous and thoughtful, one girl even made the effort to remember our names (both from when we spoke on the phone to check-in and check-out) this made it very personable and welcoming. Upon our check-out we were having a nice chat about returning and received a lot of information about bringing our dogs with us next time and they even said that they offer pet-minding services. This is incredibly appealing to us as our pups love the beach and we love visiting Tofino.
I would strongly suggest visiting this resort, its clean, cozy and a perfect get-away spot. The staff are kind and respectful and helpful with anything you might need. Thanks again, pacific Sands! We truly enjoyed out stay :)

1 Thank Keltie S
qb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights in a Lighthouse suite mid-January and the power was out when we arrived but that was no problem. The gas fireplace kept the suite nice and cozy and the propane stove meant we could still eat and have some hot drinks. There were candles provided and we brought some so it made for a lovely time. It also helped that the power was on by 7pm. The suite itself is nicely appointed and we had no problems with the internet. The staff was great and the location is unbeatable. We loved that rain coats were provided . . . and they were definitely needed for walking the beach or on the beautiful trail off the end of the property. In the summer we wondered if having the bedroom open onto the parking lot might be a bit noisy? In January it was nicely quiet.

Maple Ridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We decided to take our family to a luxurious resort for our mortgage burning party. Pacific Sands was recommended to us by family and friends. We wanted a place that wouldn't have everyday distractions and the focus would be on family. We were not disappointed! We had a 3bedroom beach front house and a 2 bedroom signature suite beach house. Each bedroom had it's own bathroom and when combining 5 families, that is a must! The great room of the signature suite was conducive to our large family gatherings for meals and hanging out. All 10 adults and 2 high chairs were able to fit around the large table so we were able to eat together. The hot tub was clean, well managed and enjoyed by all. It was great not waking up with a sore back, yes, the beds were comfortable! The 3 bedroom suite with a disability bathroom and access was a real high light for one member of our party stating, "it doesn't even look like a disabled bathroom, it's beautiful!"

There were 3 people from house keeping who cleaned our unit daily, which meant they were not in our suite long, disturbing us. The hotel guest staff was very courteous and the shuttle driver was friendly and prompt. The setting for the resort is first class and has good access for young, the young at heart and disabled.

This truly was the perfect setting for our family and would highly recommend this venue!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

This year my vacation time was a little delayed, so I ended up visiting Tofino in mid December - a time where most businesses have closed for the season and there's not much going on in terms of tourism. For me this was perfect as I really had wanted to get away to someplace quiet and relaxed. I chose Pacific Sands because they had a storm watching package promotion and the rates seemed quite reasonable for the pricey Tofino area. Since I was traveling alone, I chose a bachelor suite over a one bedroom since it was a little closer to the beach. The view was definitely incredible. From my balcony - or sitting inside by the window, I could see the beach framed by a couple of trees out front. It was truly lovely and the sound of the surf rolling in was very soothing. What wasn't soothing, however, was the awful reverberation the stairs within the Lodge building had. Every time anyone walked up to their suite or housekeeping visited, I'd hear a booming noise through my room along with that uncomfortable feeling low frequency sounds give you. I think that during peak season it would be a very noisy building since I could hear other guests at times from their rooms as well.

The room itself was quite nice with an immense king sized bed that you could lie down on and still see the beach from - mind you slightly impaired from the fogging on the balcony glass. It also had a comfortable couch with a nice throw and a decent sized gas fireplace. Though the fireplace was a bit flaky it terms of operation, it was nice when it did work. There was also a small dining table with a couple of chairs if you wanted to be a bit formal with your dining, but good luck in prepping your dinner in the small kitchen space. The lack of counter space was a bit of a problem, but the kitchen is fully stocked with appliances including a toaster, coffee maker, tea kettle, as well as microwave, oven and stove. Granted, using said appliances required juggling things around especially when you had dishes drying. The sink being as small as it was was very difficult to wash pots in, but otherwise ok to use. Considering that you have to drive to town if you want a ready made dinner, having a difficult to use kitchen was a bit of a pain, but the amount of kitchen equipment even a small suite had offset that a little.

One odd quirk of the suite was that the toilet and shower were in a small poorly ventilated room. The sink was fairly spacious being located outside of that room, but I found myself having to have to hide behind the half wall separating the kitchen from the bed to have enough room to change while not exposing myself to random people. Otherwise I'd have to go through the hassle of shutting every blind in the room first. If you're travelling as a couple, this may or may not be a problem.

Room service was a bit spotty as well with them not cleaning the floor area - which according to the guidebook they are supposed to do. Given that I kept tracking sand in from the beach, it was fortunate that there was a broom in the room so that I could clean up a little. Also, if you had a do not disturb sign (which I had to ask for) in the morning, they wouldn't check back in during the afternoon. However, on another day they were considerate enough to have left coffee and plastic baggies tied to my door. All in all, some days housekeeping was great, other days not so much. The one housekeeping staff member that stopped by was super friendly and willing to help out if anything was needed and the maintenance staff was insanely quick to replace my toaster which had a damaged element. They did empty the garbage daily, changed the dishtowels, and restocked any coffee, tea, and toiletries that had run low.

On another odd note, the room did not include a telephone and Rogers cell reception was exceptionally poor due to the nearest tower being operated by Telus. If I wanted to contact guest services, I had to go outside and walk over to their building, which made the whole relax and be lazy process a little less relaxing and a little more work.

All in all, being there in the off season was exactly what I needed to unwind and I do recommend taking the time to explore the breathtaking nature in Tofino and Ucluelet. Given the location of Pacific Sands, it was an easy walk right down to Pacific Rim National Park which is really a wonder to experience. Guest services were friendly and the hotel was welcoming, so perhaps book a room, just not in the Lodge building.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the Lodge building, try to select upper floors to minimize noise from guests a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank SalpyElizabeth
pacificsands, Manager at Pacific Sands Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear SalpyElizabeth,

Thank you for your recent review, we appreciate the feedback about our Resort. I do agree, the view from our rooms is nothing but breathtaking, the roaring of the ocean can lull anyone in to dream land!
I appreciate your comments regarding our kitchens and bathrooms in the Lodge building. The fact that our kitchens are fully stocked with appliances and kitchen wares does help however; we do agree that building does require Capital improvements which are on the list for the upcoming year. We hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Lara Kemps
Resort Manager
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

My wife and I have visited the Pacific Sands Beach Resort many times and usually stay in the Sand Dollar Suite. The suite has been refurbished since our last visit, very nicely done, thank you. The negative comments turn on the internet. It has always been poor but we were excited to hear that it has been improved, regretfully, this is not really true. The free WiFi is weak and erratic and times out after, I think, 45 minutes. There is a broader-band signal that I could have paid for, but did not do so. This is an expensive place to visit and at the price we pay for these rooms the least they can do is supply WiFi free of charge. We will be returning next year to the Sand Dollar Suite, but you should know that we found the WiFi to be extremely irritating. I think the policy chosen for a broader-band experience is pretty cheap.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HowardFreeland
pacificsands, Manager at Pacific Sands Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear HowardFreeland,

Thank you for your recent review. I am extremely happy that you like our upgrades that have been made to our Sand Dollar suite, the new kitchen makes a huge improvement to the overall ambiance and beauty of that particular suite.
I am grateful for the feedback that you provided regarding our Wi-Fi network as we have just recently launched it and are wanting as much feedback as possible. Tofino’s Internet conductivity has not changed as Telus has no short term plans to install fibre optic lines to the Coast. Our hope is to have a free connection to send and receive emails and if our guests require downloading or streaming that they have the option to purchase, for a nominal fee a broader band experience. As I said, we are grateful for any feedback regarding our service and we will fine tune it as the months go on.

Lara Kemps