“Very eclectic”

Kevin Midgley's Tofino Art Glass
Ranked #36 of 53 things to do in Tofino
More attraction details
Owner description: The Studio to visit for those who love glass or want gifts and memories of Tofino. Featured in restaurants, magazines, cookbooks and on TV, Tofino Art Glass bowls trays beach sand jewelery and custom art pieces are created about a 3 minute walk from Tofino's center. For over 30 years Kevin has been creating unique, handmade, functional glass art. Come meet Kevin to see and buy some of his beautiful glass. Open daily all year.
Calgary, Canada
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Very eclectic”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stopped by Kevin's studio and was very happy that I did so.

Yes it is crammed...yes he can talk a lot...but he is an artist...it is his working studio...so what? These are the type of little places that I seek to find out when vacationing.

And perhaps his art is not for some...but hey, that is what art is. It appeals to some, not to others.

I personally thought the Racial Tolerance pieces were fascinating and bought one with three faces on it. Kevin does ship, worldwide I think, but he assured me he could wrap it securely so that I could put it in my suitcase to take home. He did so and it arrived home safely.

And yes, he has all kinds of flowers and bamboo in front of his house and beside his shop. I was there in February and his daffodils and primrose etc were gorgeous then.

He also told me about two restaurants to try while in Tofino. I did so and found his critiques were right on and I had two very good meals.

Visited February 2014
Kevin M, Owner at Kevin Midgley's Tofino Art Glass, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your kind review.

Calgary, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Went with my family here as my mom desperately wanted to go, given then it's rated in the top 20 things to do in Tofino...however, when we got here we were shocked. I guess with art everyone has a differently opinion--to each their own, in my opinion this art shop was incredibly small, disastrously messy, and tacky! Clearly other people were in the same boat and had looked on TripAdvisor prior as there was probably 15 of us arriving at once...everyone had left without a purchase in about 2 minutes flat....can you say AWKWARD?! Would not return.

Visited July 2014
6 Thank K T
My working studio is small, although there are even smaller artist studios in Tofino. I always have glass work on the go. You could have easily gone next door to my neighbour's pottery studio if I was too crowded for you and then returned when the crowd had thinned. Or, you could have gone further down the road to Tonquin beach and visited my studio on your return trip.
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best part of my trip to Tofino”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Oh. My. Gosh. This was the most amazing art gallery I have ever been in. We first noticed Tofino art Glass when we were checking out of our hotel and noticed the lady at the desk wearing beautiful, unique, one of a kind earrings. She said that she got the at Tofino Art glass. We checked it out and it was fantastic. Everything from the amazing prices, to the cool stories Kevin tells us, Tofino art glass is a must see sight. I got a pair of mix-and-match studs, which i have not taken off since i got them, for only $20! We purchased 2 beautiful necklaces, and 2 fabulous pairs of earrings. It was me and my Mom that bought, but Kevin managed to entertain my younger brother, dad, and sister with riveting stories about local "Big Kitties" and Wolves. he makes amazing trays, pendants, glass faces and earrings. It's a place that I am going to go back to every time i visit the town, and i would recommend it to everyone who asks me about Tofino. It was incredible and we are still talking about his awesome customer service and beautiful glass. Even though we went yesterday... I am still wishing to go back. Tell family and friends about this hidden gem, and be sure to remember this review.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jennifer O
Thank you for your kind words.
Tofino, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hot Glass”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I bought a melted Tofino Brewing Co beer bottle that I use as an incense holder. The Artist has some funky and unique pieces worth checking out on your way to Tonquin beach!

Visited April 2014
Thank you for your kind words.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Be prepared to listen”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

From the time that we were greeted to the time we left, the proprietor did not stop talking at us (yes, "at"). His work is rustic and the gallery is cozy (i.e. small). However, we felt trapped into a one-sided conversation and couldn't really view the pieces.

We wouldn't return.