“A mixed experience”

Ranked #4 of 41 Tofino B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A mixed experience”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I've read a few other not so stellar reviews of the Tofino Travellers Guesthouse on this site and see that the owners take these reviews very seriously, sometimes going so far as to attack the reviewer. For that reason, I've hesitated to write this, as I don't want to be subjected to an ad hominem attack for simply being honest. However, I would like to share my experience with other travelers so that they can consider all evidence when choosing their accommodations.

The plus side: This is a clean budget guesthouse that includes a hearty breakfast.

The negative side: I agree with some other (usually female) reviewers who have found interactions with Nick to be awkward and/or uncomfortable. When someone I just met comes in close to me and says "So what's your story?," I personally find that intrusive, not just someone being friendly. Nick also criticized me at breakfast for "not building a sense of community" because I got something for myself instead of asking someone else for it. As an adult, I don't appreciate someone trying to regulate my social interactions or telling me how to behave. I also noticed that he was often giving young female travelers relationship advice, which I thought was inappropriate, patronizing and rude. I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it to other solo female travelers for this reason.

A few other things: as others have noted, the bunk rooms are close to the kitchen/eating area and when people are up late talking, this can be loud (bring earplugs); there are 2 shared shower stalls which tend to get sort of wet/hairy/sloppy if you use them after others have used them (although they were cleaned daily).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank UnaViajera71
RebeccaLoades, Manager at Tofino Travellers Guesthouse, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear UnaViajera71,

We welcome all feedback and thank you for sharing details of your stay from August 2013. Thank you also for recognising that we offer our guests a clean, cheap and fun place to stay in the beautiful Tofino.

As someone helping out here, one of the most rewarding aspects is the opportunity to get to know our guests and hear their stories. I’m sorry that you felt uncomfortable when Nick tried to find out more about you. I do wish you had said something at the time as it gives us the chance to respond in person and ensure that the rest of your stay was right for you.

Wishing you all the best,
Tofino Travellers Guesthouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed at the guesthouse this summer, there were nice guests. But the owner Nick is really manipulative, he pretends to care about the guests (he's really good at that) but I think he's more interested in making money. And he's very flirty with good-looking girls... I slept in a dorm room and it smelt very moldy and there's no real bathroom, the sink is in the hallway between showers and toilets, it's very busy and narrow. But the other staff and the guests were cool...

19 Thank Amelie G
RebeccaLoades, Manager at Tofino Travellers Guesthouse, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
We at Tofino Travellers Guesthouse are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay here. All of us strive to help our guests get the most from their time in Tofino: from sharing insider hints and tips, to helping people go kayaking, surfing, hiking and more.

We do make it very clear that those sleeping in our Bunk Fun City room share the bathroom and shower space. However, for guests seeking greater privacy, we also offer rooms with private bathrooms. Irrespective, all our rooms are very clean and we work hard to keep the guesthouse spick and span.

Together all of this plus our friendly welcome is what attracts the wonderfully cool guests who stay with us, many of whom extend their stay and come back time and time again.

Wishing you all the best in your future travels.
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Best guesthouse ever. Clean, comfy, it felt just like home! The waffles in the morning were deliiicious.Thanks Rebecca for everything! I will come back for sure to surf again and again! I love tofino. I love tofino travellers guesthouse! :)

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Katy-Mitch B
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at the Tofino Travellers Guesthouse for 5 days and got unforgettable days. Nick makes the best waffles and gives you good references for your day trip.
The hostel is central and everything you need is in the neighborhood. The atmosphere is very close and you always meet new interesting people.
If we have to opportunity, we will stay there again. We recommend everyone this special hostel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amun-Re B
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This guesthouse is a wonderful place to kick back and relax, or as a place to plan your Tofino adventures, with the help from Nick and Yumi. The house is super cosy, and promotes a really congenial environment. I met so many wonderful people here, by playing cards at night, and sitting around the big wooden table for breakfast each morning. The bathroom is in the process of being done up, however is still 100% functional. The 11pm quiet time is really enforced which is great.

1 Thank Misty3272
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I am very familiar with the cost of staying in super natural Tofino. I needed a place to stay for 7 days so I was skeptical of the advertised prices for a 6 bunk co-ed dorm. The Tofino Travellers Guesthouse is a fantastic find. It is clean, welcoming, orderly and economical! It includes a fabulous breakfast with great local coffee. On arrival I received a warm welcoming tour of a very clean & tidy house. I felt comfortable immediately. There are quiet areas and social areas, a large sundeck to hang out at or hang your beach towels on. The dining table is a beautiful natural wood slab, your view is Meares Island with the ever changing skies of the west coast. I met people of all ages from all over the world. Nick, the host is very focused that everyone has the best time here. He can point you in the direction of surfing, kayaking, whale watching, bear spotting, rainforest walks, bird watching and picnics on the beach etc etc. Thanks for introducing me to Hoyne Brewery Co. from Victoria. I can't image the place without him.
I have no hesitation on recommending the guesthouse, unless it interferes with my own bookings. The dorm beds are very comfortable, I had a well slept nights

1 Thank LottieMcCurse
Warman, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This past summer I stayed with Nick, Yummi, and Jane at the Guesthouse. It was my first time in Tofino and I could not have found a better place to stay. Every morning we were greeted with warm smiles, fresh coffee, and AMAZING waffles. As everyone awoke and gathered around the long Tofino wood table we made new friends and plans for the day. Nick was there to give us advice on activities and made sure everyone was happy and had some type of plans for the day. Really its a brilliant Idea bringing all the guests together to meet and make new connections.
The house is always clean thanks to Jane and Yummi. These girls were always smiling and hard working making sure all the guests had a clean home to return to after a long day of beaches and sunshine,
The dorm room beds are 5* comfortable and although Nick was in the process of updating the washroom area it was always clean and ready to use.
The overall cost is extremely affordable especially for the area and the atmosphere is by far nothing short of magical.
I extended my stay for many reason and I feel so privileged to have stayed at the guesthouse. The mates I made here will forever be a part of my life and a large group of us ended up traveling further together. We all came from different parts of the world, I would have never had the chance to meet such amazing people otherwise
I will be back next summer and I would recommend to anyone traveling to Tofino to stay at the TOFINO TRAVELERS GUESTHOUSE, if you do please say hi to the family for me. :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo