“Fun times with my new Tofino family!”

Tofino Travellers Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 41 Tofino B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My last time in Tofino, I walked by this place on the way to the hostel down the road that I was staying at that time, and just thought it always looked like there were neat people around and the house was very cute. So, this time up I decided to book there. It was crazy cheap for a bunk there at $25/night and had no issues with the online booking.
When I arrived, I was greeted happily at the door and shown the bunk, then allowed to settle in before getting the rundown. The 'gal in charge' was in the process of making a fire in the wood stove in the living room to heat the place up. It really is a house that has been converted to a guesthouse, and comes along with house rules... no shoes inside, quiet time at 11, no drinks in the living room, do your own dishes etc. All these things add up to a) a clean place for the most part and b) a super family atmosphere. Everyone staying there is friendly, inquisitive, eager to invite you to join them on their outings and encouraging to join the meals and social time. They have great recommendations and advice on various Tofino things and will help you out as much as they can.
The style of housing does come with a few, let's call them quirks, that fussy travelers might not love, so staying here I think requires one to really adopt and embrace the Tofino-time attitude, but I mean, you should anyhow. I have no idea what the private rooms are like as I didn't go anywhere near them, but the bunk situation is co-ed, and that includes the bathroom. Seasoned hostellers will probably not have a problem with this, but it is always good to know about. The showers are hot and clean, but very small so tuck those elbows in! I didn't have any problem with the number of toilets (3) and showers (2), and I don't think was ever in the washroom the same time as anyone else ever. But hostel life often requires some sharing and choosing off-hours for shower time. I chose to shower at night and had no issues. The kitchen (aka - the common area in the house where guests can drink) is right outside the bunk room. My experience is that while folks were social (myself included) and loud in the evening, everyone took their own initiative to curtail the noise by 11pm, and in most cases, before - either they would take themselves to a bar or something, or just cool down at 11. If you seek bedtime earlier, bring earplugs... or just join the party and relax! The usual hostel things apply too, like someone used my towel once and left it soaking wet in the bathroom, and some stuff from the person in the bunk above me fell down onto my bed and clearly someone had sat on/used my bed to pack or something at one point, but those are just normal hostel things you deal with.
As has been mentioned, no lockers in the room, and the house door is unlocked all the time, but there is always someone there keeping an eye out for strangers or lurkers. Pillows are a bit thin, so maybe bring your own or grab a spare folded up blanket from the closet to prop yourself up with.
Anyhow, overall it was the most fun I have had in a hostel... tasty breakfast of waffles and coffee, big kitchen, cozy living room, amazing location and one helluva sweet hostel family. Totally worth the experience and the fun.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Shoogs80
There are newer reviews for Tofino Travellers Guesthouse

Reviewed 14 March 2014

you do not find many hostels like this ,small cosy sweet hostel, more of a home then a hostel , great people , nice log burner in living room warm showers on cold surf days ! bbq on deck.

awesome vibes , all hostels should be like this , beats any city hostel 10 times over.

theres a few options in tuff but i'd pick this 10 times over

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I've read a few other not so stellar reviews of the Tofino Travellers Guesthouse on this site and see that the owners take these reviews very seriously, sometimes going so far as to attack the reviewer. For that reason, I've hesitated to write this, as I don't want to be subjected to an ad hominem attack for simply being honest. However, I would like to share my experience with other travelers so that they can consider all evidence when choosing their accommodations.

The plus side: This is a clean budget guesthouse that includes a hearty breakfast.

The negative side: I agree with some other (usually female) reviewers who have found interactions with Nick to be awkward and/or uncomfortable. When someone I just met comes in close to me and says "So what's your story?," I personally find that intrusive, not just someone being friendly. Nick also criticized me at breakfast for "not building a sense of community" because I got something for myself instead of asking someone else for it. As an adult, I don't appreciate someone trying to regulate my social interactions or telling me how to behave. I also noticed that he was often giving young female travelers relationship advice, which I thought was inappropriate, patronizing and rude. I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it to other solo female travelers for this reason.

A few other things: as others have noted, the bunk rooms are close to the kitchen/eating area and when people are up late talking, this can be loud (bring earplugs); there are 2 shared shower stalls which tend to get sort of wet/hairy/sloppy if you use them after others have used them (although they were cleaned daily).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
13  Thank UnaViajera71
RebeccaLoades, Manager at Tofino Travellers Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear UnaViajera71,

We welcome all feedback and thank you for sharing details of your stay from August 2013. Thank you also for recognising that we offer our guests a clean, cheap and fun place to stay in the beautiful Tofino.

As someone helping out here, one of the most rewarding aspects is the opportunity to get to know our guests and hear their stories. I’m sorry that you felt uncomfortable when Nick tried to find out more about you. I do wish you had said something at the time as it gives us the chance to respond in person and ensure that the rest of your stay was right for you.

Wishing you all the best,
Tofino Travellers Guesthouse

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed at the guesthouse this summer, there were nice guests. But the owner Nick is really manipulative, he pretends to care about the guests (he's really good at that) but I think he's more interested in making money. And he's very flirty with good-looking girls... I slept in a dorm room and it smelt very moldy and there's no real bathroom, the sink is in the hallway between showers and toilets, it's very busy and narrow. But the other staff and the guests were cool...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
20  Thank Amelie G
RebeccaLoades, Manager at Tofino Travellers Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

We at Tofino Travellers Guesthouse are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay here. All of us strive to help our guests get the most from their time in Tofino: from sharing insider hints and tips, to helping people go kayaking, surfing, hiking and more.

We do make it very clear that those sleeping in our Bunk Fun City room share the bathroom and shower space. However, for guests seeking greater privacy, we also offer rooms with private bathrooms. Irrespective, all our rooms are very clean and we work hard to keep the guesthouse spick and span.

Together all of this plus our friendly welcome is what attracts the wonderfully cool guests who stay with us, many of whom extend their stay and come back time and time again.

Wishing you all the best in your future travels.

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Best guesthouse ever. Clean, comfy, it felt just like home! The waffles in the morning were deliiicious.Thanks Rebecca for everything! I will come back for sure to surf again and again! I love tofino. I love tofino travellers guesthouse! :)

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Katy-Mitch B
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed at the Tofino Travellers Guesthouse for 5 days and got unforgettable days. Nick makes the best waffles and gives you good references for your day trip.
The hostel is central and everything you need is in the neighborhood. The atmosphere is very close and you always meet new interesting people.
If we have to opportunity, we will stay there again. We recommend everyone this special hostel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amun-Re B
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This guesthouse is a wonderful place to kick back and relax, or as a place to plan your Tofino adventures, with the help from Nick and Yumi. The house is super cosy, and promotes a really congenial environment. I met so many wonderful people here, by playing cards at night, and sitting around the big wooden table for breakfast each morning. The bathroom is in the process of being done up, however is still 100% functional. The 11pm quiet time is really enforced which is great.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo