“It is what it is”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #38 of 41 Tofino B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Well there's nothing too special about the Dolphin, but if you want a place with a bed and a kitchen and you plan on spending most of your time at the beach, the Dolphin could be a good fit, but if you're looking for anything romantic, or a place you'd like to spend time indoors, this might not be the right spot for you. The whole place could really use an update, especially for the price. Bedding is super old and ugly, mismatched and stained, bring your own stuff if you want sleep comfortably. This place could actually be decent if they bothered to touch things up and buy some new bedding (it was pretty gross). The location is excellent, but I think I'd rather stay a bit further away and avoid this place again in the future. The owner was pretty nice, but she also came bursting into our room once or twice uninvited, which I didn't like. The front desk office smells so strongly of dead fish I would pre-pay over the internet to avoid having to go in there. I did like the kitchen and the table, we were able to easily cook our own food and were able to find the right dishes and cutlery to do so, even if it was a bit ghetto. Overall, it just is what it is and it's definitely in the "motel" category. Next time we'll spend a bit more and go somewhere else though to make the trip a bit more special.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank lkelsey

Reviewed 21 October 2012

I stayed five nights for a solo R & R / surf and yoga trip. Veronica the owner is exceptionally warm and welcoming, a fantastic host and just a great person!

The reviews about miss matched towels and bed linens aren't incorrect, but this is one of the cleanest hotels I've stayed in. While you may have a floral pattern, or even hockey logo'd linens you can be sure they are immaculately clean and smell good. It can't be easy to keep up an older motel, but this couple does a great job!

My room had brand new hardwood flooring, was recently painted and had tasteful artwork. For such an amazing price point it's hard to ask too much, but you will still find large, flat screen televisions, an oversized mini fridge, coffee & tea with a kettle, etc... One of my favorite things about the rooms, price and people aside, is the independent heaters in the bathroom. This means I can crank the heat and dry out my wetsuit overnight, conveniently hanging from the hook in the bathtub! In the winter this is close to heaven.

The location is very convenient, within walking distance to the Chesterman beach and the Coastal Bliss Yoga Studio, which is right around the corner in a complex with a great little coffee shop (The Tofitian), Beaches Grocery, a surf shop (Live to Surf) and Chocolate Tofino. On a side note try the lavender honey ice cream at the chocolate shop; best in the world :)

Long story short, stay here! Save a few bucks and go out for a nice dinner instead. You will be warmly greeted, your room will be clean and you ill be in a great location.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank james-a-hague
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We stayed there 5 nights, and enjoyed ourselves. There were NO BED BUGS, I'm thinking someone made that up. If you don't mind towels and dishes that don't match, the location of the motel is very convenient, only about 5 min. walk to either Chesterman or McKenzie beaches. The price is reasonable, the owner is friendly and hospitable, the place (and blankets, sheets, quilts) is older, but if you don't mind that it's a good value. We would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria H
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My girlfriend and I arrived quite late so the lady gave us a discounted room because we didn't stay the day. She probably gave us the room cheap because the following morning we were covered by bed bug bites which we though were mosquito bites at that time. She didn't have the common courtesy to tell us about this problem so now we brought back bed bugs and are cleaning every last bit of the house and are praying we don't have to call someone in to get rid of them. Stay away from the motel the owners may come across and nice and respectful but will screw you over to make a few bucks. Also the interior looked terrible, ridiculous bed spreads that were stained, you didn't even want to take a shower there because the bathroom was quite dirty. If you choose to stay there bring your own sheets and check the mattress before you go to bed.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 11 or this place all together
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jordan H
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here this summer and were very impressed with the service! The owner was extremely helpful and polite. We stayed in one of the suites, with a kitchen and two bedrooms - more than we needed and for a very affordable price. Everything was clean and well-kept. We had a wonderful stay. Sure, the furniture and appliances were a little older, but they were still in excellent condition. We have no complaints. Definitely reccommend this one.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank b t
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We booked for two nights fairly last minute and there were no real choices unless we wanted to spend a lot of money. So we read the reviews and risked the stay for a reasonable price. It was pretty bad overall, really old building, kitchen and appliances were at least 20 years old and showed it. The bedsheets were laughable and we had the Montreal Canadiens suite although we didn't get any bedbugs mentioned in a recent review. The bathroom was rusty and old except for a new insert on the shower. However, it wasn't all bad. We felt it was reasonably clean and the shower and faucets all worked well. For the amount of time we spent there it was surviveable. I would say if you only plan on being in the room to sleep and you don't want to spend a fortune, and you don't mind really really old everything, then go for it. But it better be a really good price comparad to other choices to justify the total package.

Room Tip: There isn't one
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DougHeather
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Two nights in this dump and I was disgusted the entire time. No other hotels were available so we decided to stay here...WHAT A MISTAKE! Towels weren't clean, smelled awful...the bedspread was a Montreal Canadiens crappy blanket covered in stains and the sheets were literally from the 1980's. I brought my own linens and towels and still felt grossed out the entire time. Less than two weeks after returned to Vancouver, we discovered that we had brought home BED BUGS from that motel!!!!!!!!! $400 of fumigation costs plus I had to buy a new bed!!!! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS MOTEL TO ANYONE!!!!!!!! It's filthy and extremely overpriced! Did I mention bed bugs?!!!!!! NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofino
West Coast Motel on the Harbour
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Long Beach Lodge Resort
Pacific Sands Beach Resort
Tofino Motel HarbourView
Tofino Resort + Marina
Tofino Resort + Marina
#14 of 16 in Tofino

Been to Dolphin Motel? Share your experiences!