“Great staff. Great place to learn to surf.”

Long Beach Lodge Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Long Beach Lodge is a relatively small resort in Tofino. The rooms are consistent with the photos on their website. They are clean and well maintained.

My husband and I were there with our dog for 4 nights. The 'dog' rooms were clean and you would never know it was a pet room. We had Shannon, one of the girls who works there, dog-sit one evening while we had a nice supper. She was fabulous and we could see her running the dog on the beach from the dining room.

The restaurant is really good - fantastic food - great value. Everything we ate there during our 4 days was excellent (mushroom and truffle risotto, lamb, salmon, crab with avocado mousse, and their healthy breakfast egg benny's - all fabulous).

What makes this resort excel, besides the food, is the staff. Justin - who I believe is the dining room manager, the surf instructors, and the front desk staff are all very friendly and happy to give suggestions for hikes and other things to do close by.

This is a great place for families.

2  Thank TamiFri
Write a ReviewReviews (3,197)

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My ratings are a fair review when looking at overall cost to value delivered. Unlike most I compare apples to apples. Just because the hotel sits on the sand and has a five star view does not make it a five star hotel. Cliff note version is this hotel under delivers in some key areas that may be important to its guests. Hotels prices itself as 4-5 star but really does not offer much. Positive is the hotel is clean and the beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms are nice with nice deep spa tubs and heated tile floors but the shower is like a three by three triangle...no go. The restaurant for dinner was priced steep but the food was very good and service was fine. Restaurant staff was very nice and helpful for dinner but not so much so for breakfast. The area is very nice and is a dog lovers paradise. The front desk staff needs help. I don't know if they are young and inexperienced or both. Overall the hotel seems kind of cramped with poor use of the lands. For the love of god get a hot tub out front where the beach patio is between the hotel and sand. It is a sin you do not have one in this environment.

Negatives - The biggest negative was the wireless service. Don't let them fool you there is none outside of 5 feet from the front desk. Seriously it is a joke but fortunately my room was next to the next door resort cox resorts and I was able to use their free open wireless. I also tried to use ethernet for laptop but the data port did not work in my room or my friends room. I was also shocked that the hotel did not offer or have any apple product cables for a faster hard wire hook up...seriously over half the wireless products people use are apple. When asked about the wireless coverage the front desk gal responded that it is probably because we are too far from Tofino...wtf? As I mentioned earlier the front desk staff was mixed some good people and some that did not belong. Breakfast was okay at best but no variety same offerings day in and day out...coffee is pretty bad and they charge $4 for a cup of hot chocolate for a child... pretty petty. That one really killed me, what child drinks hot tea or coffee? The morning serving staff is a bit of a circus compared to the evening staff. Tours offered are over priced and nothing special. $189 for 2.5 hours of surf lessons plus another $39 for a long board and wet suit.

Not once did I see a manager anywhere walking the grounds. This place is not that big you can easily have a manager or asst manager greet each room upon check in or at dinner as there is no excuse. There is also no one to help with luggage and I mean no one and when asked just a blank stare. For me it is okay but my friends with children had a difficult time.

When you charge those types of prices it always comes down to service and here the service is lacking for what you pay for. I would look elsewhere for a room unless they lower their prices by a third. Better places to be had when looking at value for $. Overall hotel 3-4 star but with cost brings it down to 2-3 star...too bad as it has potential. Bottomline, they need to raise the bar with the service.

10  Thank atomicboy
Squamish_7, General Manager at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Dear Trip Advisor Readers,

I would like to apologize to this reviewer for the drop in the experience they had here at Long Beach Lodge Resort. We follow what Trip Advisor Reviewers have to say about their experience very seriously - and use all feedback to improve our operation. And this reviewer provided us some valuable information!

Yes we have some connectivity issues to our wireless service, especially from those people who are using some Apple devices. We have been able to fix the problem (it was our network security that was preventing some Apple devices from connecting to the wireless network)

We do have a hot tub in our future, as part of our “Surf Center” with construction starting this fall; we are aiming for it to be open by our 10th anniversary in April 2012.

I wish that this reviewer actually took advantage of one of our Surf lessons our Private Marine Adventures, as we over the lowest cost option for both experiences here in Tofino. And if you were to compare a surf lesson to i.e. a private ski lesson at Vail or Whistler, the surf experience at Long Beach Lodge is ¼ of the cost of those experiences.

And we have historically charged for hot chocolate, even though every stay at the Lodge includes complimentary continental breakfast. As a result of this Reviewers feedback we will from this point forward offer FREE hot chocolate to kids!

Thanks again for taking the time to provide feedback, and we hope to see you back that the Lodge in the future, in hopes that we can make it up to you in providing a better experience in the future.

Best regards,
Perry Schmunk

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at Long Beach Lodge last week and had an absolutely perfect private wedding on the beach. They took care of everthing and made us feel so welcome. Fantastic room (walk-out to the beach), amazing food, great staff - Totally perfect! Couldn't have have had a more perfect wedding just for the two of us! We'll be back for sure for aniversaries!

Room Tip: Great room! Beautiful amenities, Jacuzzi tub, fireplace, amazing view and walk-out to the beach
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband arrived early on Aug.9th and were very pleased that we could check in. We were again very pleased to be upgraded. The upgrade was to a cabin. I can only say "WOW". It was fantastic. We even had our own private hot tub right outside the bedroom door. All the staff were very welcoming. Samantha at check-in was great. We were having such a great time that we asked her if we could stay 3 nights instead of 2 in the same cabin at the same rate. I think she did a little juggling but was able to do so. I was thrilled. The continental breakfast was great as well with an incredible view to go with it.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed in cabin #21, what a GREAT place, just love the whole place, I made sure to be spend some time star gazing in the hot tub late in the evening after the sun had gone down. We had dinner in "the GREAT room", the food was incredible, delicious!! I had the seafood pasta dish & it was scrumpdilliicious!! The staff are all so welcoming and make your stay top notch! The views are just incredible, such an amazing sunset!!

The beds are super comfortable and the pillows are luxurious!! I slept like a baby!! I can't wait to go back!!

My husband will be celebrating the BIG 50 in October and we WILL be staying at Long Beach Lodge Resort!!

1  Thank Brynn L
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I can only confirm all the positive reviews about Long Beach Lodge. We stayed in some of the finest hotels throughout the world (we like hotels listed in Conde Nast & Kiwicollection), and this is one of the hotels that ends up high in our own top hotel list :).

We've been too Tofino a few times and stayed in both the Wickaninnish Inn (Wick) ad Long Beach Lodge, so I think that we are in a good position to compare both of them. I want to guarantee everyone that Long Beach Lodge beats Wick in every aspect. If you doubt between both of them, I would choose Long Beach Lodge in a heartbeat.

- the main hotel building is much nicer, more modern and more 'lodge-alike' than Wick. I cannot express how disappointed we were by the motel-like decor of the Wick (and not understand at all the positive press about the Wick).

- the rooms are splenid (go for on with ocean view) : modern, cozy, luxurious and a very good bed with very soft linnen. Again, the rooms in the Wick felt like an upscale motel and had a very hard bed (I heared that the Wicked will start to refurnish their rooms, so this may change in the future). In Long Beach Lodge, you can also rent a cottage that has its own hottube.

- the location of Long Beach Lodge is very nice, on one the nicest beaches in the area. The beach, shared by some other hotels, is more scenic than the one where the Wick stands on. IMPORTANTLY : the Wick is much more prone to fog than Long Beach lodge. Over the past years, we had a couple of foggy days there (especially in summer) and while the Wick was always completely engulfed by the fog with zero visibility, the beach at Long Beach Lodge remained fog-free.

- Breakfasts was very good and on pair with the one we were served in the Wick. Dinner at Long Beach Lodge was very good, although it could not compete with the restaurant of the Wick.

All in all, I would say : stay in Long Beach Lodge, and have dinner one evening in the excellent restaurant of the Wick.

One recommendation for the owners : the presence of large common hot tube (like the one in Emerald Lake Lodge in the Canadian Rockies) with view of the ocean would be an additional and very much appreacted feature of your beautiful lodge!

Room Tip: go for a room with ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank LuxTravelExpert
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Yup, it's expensive, no doubt about it. But, it is worth every penny. Rent a room with beachfront view and you will never want to leave! Listening to the sounds of the ocean all day and night is the most peaceful feeling in the world. Watching the surfers and the kids is pure magic. Nighttime strolls on the beach, or rock climbing along the shoreline are both sure to invigorate. Then, on top, include a wonderful restaurant and extremely friendly staff and you are sure to think you have entered an alternate universe! I can't say enough good things about this hotel or the location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple