“Wonderful Place for a Vacation”

Long Beach Lodge Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful Place for a Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a much-needed relaxing trip to Vancouver Island. We stayed in one of the beachfront rooms on the third floor (but not one of the ones right on top of the restaurant). We loved our room and we loved the resort.

The room had a beautiful view of the beach and was really well-designed, with two exceptions that I will get to in a minute. The balcony had chairs and then there was another sitting area just inside the glass-sliding door. The bed was after that and the bathroom was closest to the hallway. The huge tub was behind louvered screens in the part of the bathroom that was closest to the glass-sliding door. So all that means that you could sit outside, you could sit just inside, you could lie down on the bed, or you could lounge in the tub and still see the beautiful view and get the cool air. Terrific! We kept the glass-sliding door open all the time and it was a cool, lovely place to stay.

The main exception to all this perfection is the shower stall. It's a very small, prefab stall with only one tiny soap shelf. And the door opens in such a way that you can't reach the area around the sink and use it as a shelf for the shower. I am not a huge person, but it meant shaving my legs was hard. My husband is very tall and it was not easy for him just to bathe. I'm not sure why they designed it that way, since it's very easy to see what they could have done to give themselves more room, although it would probably be difficult to retrofit now that they've built it. The other exception is that the closet does not have a light in it. Since I kept my suitcase in there, I had to use the light in the "hall" between the closet and the bathroom, but in order to get into the suitcase, I ended up blocking the light with my body. I suppose I could have knelt on the floor to get into the suitcase, but I didn't want to do that. My guess is that it would be pretty easy for the resort to correct this problem.

But I don't want to focus on the problems at all. We loved it there and would go back in a minute. The lodge was just the right size, not so small that it lacked amenities, but not so large that we had to go all over the place to eat or do laundry or get to the public areas. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast in the great room was good and served in a pleasant location.

We enjoyed the outdoor seating. Several times, we sat outside and read while looking at the view. We enjoyed walking up and down the beach, although the water was too cold for us to swim. It was fun to watch the surfers and we even enjoyed the presence of the dogs, although it surprised us how many there were and that they ran free on the beach. But they were all uniformly well behaved and their owners must have cleaned up after them because we never encountered dog poop on the beach (and only once in the parking lot).

The service was good, too. One night, someone had built a fire on the beach and the smoke was throttling us in our room. We called downstairs to find out if that were permitted and were told that it was not and it would be taken care of right away. It was out within 10 minutes. I'm not sure we were the earliest call, but it sure felt like quick service to us.

We would go back to Tofino and the Long Beach Lodge Resort in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a balcony that looks straight out to the view as high up as possible...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We were very impressed with friendliness and knowledge shared by all staff. Our room was comfortable and immaculate. What a view!! We can't wait to return. Shout out to Ryland my flatlander surf instructor, thanks for your time and patience. Our room was 109 with walkout to the beach, absolutely the best for beach strollers. The heated washroom floors were so luxurious. We checked out some of the other Tofino hotels, but for value for dollar, can't be beat.

Room Tip: Surf lessons and a surf shop are part of hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We were in room 310, very expensive, but what a view.
The room was very comfortable, with two sofas, 2 easy chairs and outside seating. Very comfortable bed. Lovely bath, also with a view. This room was just perfect.
The restaurant food isn't stunning (apart from the sushi) but is a good standard.
All staff were friendly and helpful.
Cox Bay has a lovely beach.
We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay here.
(I was surprised to see an adult male in the dining room one evening wearing a backward baseball cap - not something one would see in a similar establishment in Scotland!)

Room Tip: I'd recommend a room with a view rather than a lodge. We spent a lot of time just looking out th...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonniebraes
Comox, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

This was my first trip to Tofino. I live on Vancouver Island, in the Comox Valley and thought where I live is paradise. That is until I set foot at Long Beach Lodge Resort and saw the views of the Pacific Ocean. WOW.....truly breathtaking!
The staff were friendly. The rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. The meals in the Great Room were cozy and extremely amazing views of the Ocean. The breakfast in the morning was very satisfying.

duncan bc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I'm writing this review on my expierence with Long Beach Lodge and Resort , my girlfriend stays here when she comes to tofino , but i havent had the pleasure of spending time there yet, but will in the future thats a given after what this resort has done .There is a girl who is dying of Hunington's disease and her wish was to visit Tofino , my girlfriend and I saw her story on the news , and i got thinking what can we do for her , my girlfriend said call and see if Long Beach Resort will give us a discount so we can make this girl's dream come true , so i made the call to the General Manager Perry Schmunk , and told him this girl's story , and i asked if he can help out with maybe a discount , within 15 mins talking with Perry, i had an email giving her a choice on what dates she would prefer . Perry didnt give her a discount but he gave her 3 nights 4 day accomadation, with breakfast for her and her care workers , dinner for 3 , and for Lee-Anne the most exciting part a adventure tour around tofino, since Lee-Anne with her disease can't control her body temp the resort is turning the hottub in her cottage so that its cold , This gesture shows , that this is a classy resort and in the busiest season he got them all this . This goes to show that this more than a business to Perry , this is a truly a classy resort with classy management this doesnt get 5 stars but 10 stars . thanks again Perry for all you have done for this girl .

1 Thank gopens6687
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Your staff were simply amazing, I did not walk by one person anywhere in the resort without them acknowledhing me as a valued guest. My husband and I were very impressed. We had dinner at the Wickininnish one night and were underwhelmed compared with our meals at Long Beach which were incredible. Your staff were by far the friendliest and most accomodating we have ever seen at a resort. everything else was absolutely perfect! it was the best 25th anniversary trip! Thanks Oakville Onatrio

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Without question the best place to stay in Tofino. LBL is in a great location with lovely facilities, and a staff willing to go the extra mile. The early morning coffee was delicious, as is the excellent food served in the Lodge's beautiful Great Room. The included breakfast is lovely, with a full breakfast available if you want/need anything more. We had stayed at another upscale facility in Tofino in the past, but found it stodgy and far more expensive. The Lodge is spacious and expanse, so even if full, you never have a feeling that it's "crowded"; and the vibe is really positive and nice. The on-grounds cabins are a great option for families as well, since they have added privacy and kitchens as an option, a nice touch when traveling with the kids.
Staff at LBL truly want you to enjoy Tofino and their Lodge the way they do, and you truly will!