“Lodging at its BEST”

Long Beach Lodge Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We really enjoyed the last three days at your Lodge...

Positives........

- Great People

- Great Food

- Very Clean

- Very Friendly

- Home away from Home

Negatives........

- Extremely poor WIFI at Resort

- More R&R room in the Great Room would have been great. Basically the Great room is slowly becoming a dining room.

We have been regulars since the first weekend it opened on 2002. The Great Room was wonderful, at one time one could sit in front or near the fire, feet on the table or couch falling asleep with the Globe and Mail in Hand.

Still remains one of our favourite places on our Wild West Coast.

JCVDH

Room Tip: Since most of our time is outdoors, the Forest View Rooms are very peaceful, little or no noise, and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit., thank you for your comments.

WiFi is our biggest single complaint and unfortunately the one issue we cannot control or resolve. We actually have the best possible service in Tofino as we switched to Shaw Sat, but it is still not always great. The District of Tofino is working with Telus and hopefully they will bring high speed service to Tofino before too long. Guests need to be reminded that Tofino is still a very remote location and that is part of the charm.

We expanded the dining room 5 years ago as it was not big enough to accommodate all our guests, as the Lodge expanded and became more popular. There is still lots of room to just sit and relax if one wishes, yesterday I saw a guest sleeping on a sofa in front of the fire!

My very best wishes for 2014.

Tim Hackett

Write a ReviewReviews (3,188)

Reviewed 27 December 2013

This is our fourth time at LBL. Stayed in a cabin each time and if I could give the accommodations a 6 out of 5 I would. We've been here as two - my mother and I, as three - my mother, my partner and I, and as 4 - my mother, my partner and my cousin and I. The cabins lack nothing. There is raingear for four, umbrellas. The cabin is two bedrooms, one upstairs, one down. Each cabin has a bathroom. The upstairs one has a full size bathtub and shower. The downstairs bathroom has heated floor and a separate shower and bathtub. There's a hot tub on the back deck. The cabin has a full kitchen and living room. Each bedroom and the living room has a TV.

People have complained about the wifi. It is slow. It's nothing they can help. It's improved over the times I've stayed there (I think the first time was 2005). It does work and I could send work emails. It just took a while. They have the best wifi you can get in Tofino.

The beach is spectacular. Each time I've been here it's been with my dog and it is a magical place for a dog. There are happy dogs all over the beach, the staff is dog friendly, it's just fun. It's an awesome beach for surfing (I took some lessons once and mostly I just watch surfers. They seem to be having fun.)

My only reservation is the food. It's very good, it's not terrible, but it is more ambitious perhaps than it ought to be. The ingredients are fresh, high quality and cannot be questioned. I keep getting overcooked mains, which is a bummer given the great ingredients. Veg great, breads are incredible. The less sensitive meats, like slow cooked lamb shank, taste great. It's the more sensitive ones like halibut and pork that I've had overdone. The flavourings too are maybe a little more intense than they need to be given the incredible raw materials. Tuna tartare was perfect size, a little too sesame.

The staff are wonderful as well. Housekeeping staff did a great job. The desk were very polite about some odd requests, including mine for more dog cookies because the dog panicked and ate the entire three days' supply that I'd brought. And the restaurant servers were willing to answer every surfing question as though it was the first time they'd been asked it.

I really don't mean this as a negative on the chef, but I think there's room for improvement and that would definitely bump it up a notch.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Thank you for you detailed feedback, it is always very appreciated from your valued guests ,as it is helpful in us becoming better. All comments are discussed at staff meetings.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the wifi, most guests don't understand that we have done everything possible to improve it, it is very frustrating! The good news is that the District is working with Telus to provide service to the area. Also, anyone with an iphone or ipad is fine.

I am delighted your dog enjoyed the visit. It is interesting that dogs run free on the beach and I have never witnessed a problem, they seem to have a peace about them while visiting. My two dogs can't understand why we cannot spend all our time on the beach!

We will look forward to your next visit, best wishes for 2014.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We got a great deal (3 nights, Tuesday was free) and stayed in a partial ocean view dog friendly room. It was great. 30 steps and you are on the beach. A great continental breakfast was included which was a nice suprise! The room was well equipped with rain jackets and umbrellas (not that we needed them), a flashlight, kettle and coffee maker with supplies and a mini fridge. There was also a very nice hottub/sauna. Overall a great stay and a reasonable price. I think the prices are white a bit higher in the summer and the place must be packed. But we really lucked out, beautiful sunny days, hardly any people. I would totally recommend this place and can't wait to go again

• Stayed: December 2013
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your visit. You are quite right, rates are much higher in the summer and it is very busy. The off season is a great time to visit and maybe even catch a winter storm! You visited during our slowest week, just before our annual closure, in preparation for our wonderful holiday season at the Lodge.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Loved the oceanfront access from our room. The roar of the ocean was spectacular. Perfect for luxury surfing and beach walks or runs. The lodge is very comfortable with a variety of places to relax and enjoy the view with a hot drink.

Room Tip: Rooms under the restaurant are noisy during dinner and breakfast. Book other locations if this is a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed your visit your visit to the Lodge. The ground floor rooms are very popular as they have direct access to the beach. We will look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My wife and I were really looking forward to our week in British Columbia with our visit to Tofino as our highlight. The lodge is in a good location on the west side of the island about seven kilometers south of town. The front desk staff was helpful, friendly and certainly a bright spot during our stay. The room was good sized and nicely appointed. The bathroom was also good sized although the shower was really small; I mean really small as in if you turn around in the shower you may hit your arms on the sides of the shower. One of the robe or towel hangers in the bathroom was loose as when you put a towel on it the hanger tilted to one side. The bathroom also had shutters separating it from the main room, strangely the shutters can't be opened all the way up, you can only adjust the louvers on them. The rooms while sized nicely were not quiet as we could hear almost every footstep of the people staying above us which was annoying. Additionally, some of the furniture and carpeting was stained (see photo) and it looked like the heater in the room was beginning to show some rust or maybe it was dirt (see photo).

The lodge is supposed to have wireless internet and they even advertise “high-speed” internet access on their site. What they really have is internet access that works slowly, sometimes and not in all parts of the hotel. We had a corner room and couldn’t get the Long Beach Lodge network to show up as an option on any of our computing devices, although the wireless network for property next door “Cox Bay Beach Resort” showed up just fine (see photo). When I called the front desk and told them “hey I see the wireless network for the place next door but not for Long Beach Lodge”, the responses I got varied from “Oh yes we know the rooms in the middle of the hotel get much better reception, to gee you are the first one that has reported this before”. I did try taking a couple of our devices to their Great Room which did have slow access that dropped in and out quite frequently. Don’t count on being able to download your morning paper or read emails to stay in touch with your family during your stay.

The fitness room is a very short walk from the lodge and was sparsely equipped for a place that is supposed to be considered a resort. Even the weight machine had a bent pin which made it difficult to use the equipment.

Speaking of their Great Room, it definitely had a nice view and was well appointed, the challenge we had was that it was continually too warm to be comfortable, so even though we wanted to spend more time there, we just couldn't enjoy it. The food was nothing to write home about either, we had dinner there one night and that was it, not again. The food wasn’t terrible, it was average and uninspiring, and we had much better experiences dining in town.

I could go on about other areas, but I think the point is evident that there seemed to be a recurring theme of “lack of attention to detail” popping up throughout our stay, not to mention they should probably change their website to say “internet access in selected locations” otherwise it can be misleading. Overall the lodge is on the beach and that’s what you are getting, everything else with the exception of the front desk staff is average at best so you may want to look elsewhere if you want anything more than average. Needless to say, we will not stay here again and don't feel that we could recommend it to any of our friends.

Room Tip: If you need or want internet access stay somewhere else. Eat dinners in town, the meals and dining...
3  Thank jdohare

I would definitely agree, you should not visit the Lodge again, as you were not very happy here. Most guests post pictures of beautiful sunsets! We are doing some extensive renovations to the Lodge this winter, including new larger showers, room furniture and new hall carpet. Every December we close the resort for extensive deep cleaning including carpet and fabric cleaning. Wifi is a problem everywhere in Todino, The District is working with Telus to bring service to the West Coast including Tofino. You make the point that the property next door showed up "just fine," we also show up just fine on their wireless network too. The point is that currently in this remote location, no one can currently provide consistent great service.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We went for the "winter storms" but only had blue skies and gorgeous views! The room's in the lodge were spacious with full-on views to the beach. A beautiful location ... if we get back to Tofino, LBLR would definitely be at the top of our list for places to stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for your review, I am happy you enjoyed your visit. Sorry we were not able to produce a winter storm for you! This November has been unbelievable, great weather almost every day.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

This was my wife's sixty fifth birthday (young sixty five) and from the moment we entered the hotel and registration desk we were greeted by friendly, professional staff who acknowledged her birthday and offered birthday wishes.
We had a beachfront room on the second floor and the view, and sound of the waves was fantastic, of course the surfers offered ooohs , aaahs, and some humor.
The service throughout the hotel was friendly and outstanding. The service and food in the great room was excellent. The breakfast buffet was excellent with a variety of food to choose from.
Two minor negative points:
1---The temperature in the great room, hallways and other parts of the hotel uncomfortably warm
2--- Only five stars available to rate this excellent resort
Thanks
Ty
Langley, B.C.

Room Tip: rooms on the second floor provide a better view and the restaurant is on the same floor.
1  Thank tyrone d
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank ou for your review, I am delighted that you both had a wonderful time celebrating your wife's birthday. I friend, turning 65 recently, informed me that 65 is really only the new 45! I will check on the heat, I have felt it warm too, maybe too many logs on the fire!

We will look forward to your next visit, maybe another birthday.