“For five stars, bring back the old breakfast!”

Long Beach Lodge Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have stayed at LBL several times and have always loved it. It has been three years since my last visit, my longest absence ever, and I returned to find the place somewhat changed, and mostly for the better. The surf club and beach bar are great additions, and the staff seem even more lovely than I remember. However, the furniture in my oceanfront room seemed a little worse for wear and didn't quite live up to my memories of understated elegance.

And the breakfast! What a disappointment it was to encounter the new (or new to me) breakfast menu. One of my favorite things about staying at LBL was wandering down to the beautiful breakfast buffet every morning and lingering in the dining room while sampling a little of this and a little of that. In fact, the breakfast buffet was what often led me to choose staying at the lodge over renting a private house on the beach. I appreciate the explanation behind the change, but I have to respectfully disagree -- based on my experience during this stay, the food quality has absolutely not improved. Quite the contrary! Reading other reviews, I see that I am not the only one who was especially underwhelemed by the breakfast pizza, and frankly, they should just take that darn thing off the menu. I was expecting something so much more refined, and was extremely surprised to be served an oversized mess of scrambled eggs and chopped up breakfast meats. Has the restaurant gone downhill in general? I can't really say, as I cancelled my dinner reservations after my first sad breakfast. (Are other guests also choosing to spend their dining dollars elsewhere after lackluster impressions at the first meal of the day? It might be interesting for management to explore this.) I second the notion of bringing back the buffet and simply charging for it, or increasing the nightly rate to cover the cost. Or, if the goal is to serve a stellar hot breakfast menu, make it truly stellar and price it accordingly. I would argue that people who choose to stay at this property are ones who are willing to pay more for higher quality experiences. I know I certainly am.

Overall, it's still a nice place to stay. However, I will probably just rent a beach house on my next trip to Tofino, as LBL doesn't quite seem as special as it used to.

Room Tip: Stay on the ocean side, of course!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your review, as you note there have been a lot of positive changes since your last visit. In addition we have also done extensive renovations in the rooms, cottages and common areas.

Our new breakfast program as generally been received very well, guests can how have a full table service breakfast or our "grab and go" for guests that are heading out to some activity or want to take something back to their room. There are more choices for breakfast and the food is higher quality, including the coffee! Going back to a buffet and charging for it would not resolve the problem of the huge waste each day, as the buffet has to look full to the very last guest. Raising room rates was not an option.

As evidenced by all the Trip Advisor comments, under Chef Ian Riddick, our food and menu has never been better, I am sorry you did not choose to have dinner with us.

The cottages are great, guests have the choice of dining in the restaurant, or the new SandBar Bistro or preparing their own meals. We have a great BBQ for guests.

Tim Hackett

Write a ReviewReviews (3,152)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I loved staying at Long Beac Lodge Hotel, I wish I could have stayed longer than only just one night!! The views from the restaurant are awesome, as well as the waiters and the food. Very clean, friendly staff, a hot pool with lovely washrooms. You can just walk onto the beach from the hotel. Very big rooms, the ones loooking at the ocean must be great. the perfect place to stay if you want to do some whale watching at Tofino, or surf, or just enjoying yourself at a good hotel.
Everything was perfect!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for your review, I am glad you had a great time. One night is never long enough, with so many things to do! I hope we can welcome you back as a return guest and that you are able to stay longer next visit.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the lodge because of the excellent service and accommodations and because of the fun we had watching the surfing on the beach. We stayed in a waterfront room and were so glad we did. First thing in the morning we went out to the balcony to see the action on the beach. It is definitely an activity-oriented resort and enjoyable whether you are a participant or an observer. We went out on the Lodge boat and did not see a whale but did see whale spouts as well as puffins, walrus, eagles, and seals. The naturalist who captained the boat was outstanding. We stayed four nights and it gave us time to do some shopping in the charming town of Tofino and to take advantage of the beach walks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you had a great visit. Thank you for your comments concerning our service and accommodation. The great thing about the lodge is you can be as active or as laid back as you wish, and have a great time either way.

Josh Lewis, our captain and naturalist, is so passionate and knowledgable about our history, our large variety of ocean and land mammals and birds, and he loves to share this passion and knowledge with our guests. A visit to our area is not complete without our Marine Adventure with Josh.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Got married at this wonderful resort 5 years ago, came back for our first and now fifth anniversary. Stayed in Penthouse suite, oceanview room and now the cottages. All the rooms in this resort are excellent. All the staff are extremly courteous and go the extra mile to make sure your vacation/stay a memorable one. The team they have in the greatroom goes above and beyond to make sure you are looked after, and they have delicious menu/food. This is a must see and must stay location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bryfrer

Happy 5th Anniversary! I am delighted you had another wonderful visit. Thank you for your thoughtful comments concerning our staff. I am very proud of our whole crew, they very genuinely try to make every guest experience the very best it can be.

We will all look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was our fifth visit to the Lodge and for some reason it seemed to be the nicest. Attentive, friendly but low-key service provided by enthusiastic and well-trained staff. Luxurious and super comfortable rooms with beautiful views. Food - well how to describe it accurately - fresh, creative and bursting with flavour. We love it here, you will too. You won't want to leave!

Room Tip: Splurge for the oceanfront rooms - the view is mesmerizing and stunning.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your review, it is always special to hear from guests who have stayed with us a number of times. I an delighted that this was another enjoyable visit.

We are constantly upgrading the resort, adding new features and training staff in an effort to assure that the guest experience is always improving at Long Beach Lodge Resort.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Here for a wedding. Amazing placing to hold a wedding. Staff very accommodating. Food was outstanding. Rooms in the hotel have amazing views. Cabins were great for more than one family making the cost more reasonable. Service a bit slow in the great room in the mornings but only had two waiters for the place that day. Drinks in the evening in the great room overlooking the ocean was so nice. Snacks were delicious as was the Tofino beer at a great price. Try the 'spruce' it was soooo good. This place will not disappoint. Great choice. clean, all you need and right on the beach. New patio bar/lunch outside with full ocean view... very nice with great food. thank you.

Room Tip: Right on the beach, great food, great choice. Cabins don't have a view but hold more ppl. if y...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We hope we can welcome you back soon as a return guest.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed for the first time at Long Beach Lodge in a regular room for 2 nights. The room was very clean and comfortable. Next time we will stay on the ocean side for the view off the deck. The staff are very friendly and helpful for all your needs. We ate twice in the great room and both occasions the food and service were excellent. This really is one of the nicer places to stay and Cox Bay is probably the best location for view and walking the beach. This is an absolutely gorgeous area of the world. A must see and visit!!

Room Tip: If available stay on the ocean side for the view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I am happy you found the food in the great room to be excellent, we have now just opened the brand new SandBar Bistro, to offer food on the patio during summer weather.

We will look forward to welcoming you back as a return guest.