“Wonderful Elopement Package”

Long Beach Lodge Resort
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
“Wonderful Elopement Package”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights with the elopement package and it was everything we could have wished for and more. Megan from the Events team seamlessly planned our package with only 4 weeks notice, and nothing was too much trouble. We opted to upgrade to the penthouse suite on our wedding day which was such a wonderful place to enjoy the package perks like our sparkling wine and the delicious chocolate ganache wedding cake the chef made.

We loved chilling in front of the panoramic views in the Great Room and I highly recommend the Golden Spruce cocktail there. The staff were exceptional. So friendly, but not in a cheesy way, just really genuine, like they were happy to be there. And who wouldn't be with that view to look at all day! We loved our stay and couldn't have asked for more, thank you LBL!

lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Congratulations, our very best wishes for a long and happy marriage. I am delighted you enjoyed such a wonderful time. We can always count on Megan to make the occasion the very best it can be, she is awesome!

We will look forward to a return visit. Thank you.

Tim Hackett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I will start by saying that the highlight of the resort is the location. It is an excellent starting point for a wonderful day of exploration and adventure. Second, the staff at the beachfront bar were kind, engaging and full of helpful hints.

But sadly, for us the positives do not outweigh the negatives. We booked the Deluxe Beachfront King (Room 115). Our first impression of the room was that we had an excellent view of the aforementioned beachfront bar. During our stay, the best opportunity for "the view" from our porch was in the evening after the bar closed. If not, we had an obstructed view of the ocean.

Further, our experience with the front desk was mixed. In the first occasion, I had asked if the papers arrived. I was told to go upstairs and look on the big table. After floundering around for a bit looking for the "big table" upstairs, I gave up and decided to just check the internet, which in itself is problematic, in our room. About an hour later, I saw that the papers were sitting in the front desk area. I asked myself, would it have been hard for someone to find and deliver a copy? Second, my wife's next was bothering her from the size of the pillows. She asked the front desk if there were any smaller pillows and was informed that they will check. This was the last we heard from them.

As for the wifi access, in our room at the edge of the resort, we were lucky to get a weak signal. In most cases, it routinely dropped off unless we moved to the center of the resort.

Finally, as a place of rest and comfort, I was thrilled to jump into the hot tub after a long day of travel and hiking. Although, I was disappointed to find that the hot tub was closed on our last day during the hours it was expected to be open. LBLR felt that it was best to refill the hot tub during the hours it was meant to be open.

The bottom line for us is that the resort is not worth the price.

4 Thank Todd F
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
I am sorry we you were disappointed, based upon other reviews. The Sandbar Bistro is new this year and has been a great hit with guests, as I believe you enjoyed a meal there. It opens at noon and is shut down my 7:30 most nights when the tables and chairs are removed for the evening. The views from the beach front rooms are spectral even when the patio is open.

Sorry that the newspaper was not delivered to the front table in the great room, that one morning. I will ask staff to make sure this does not happen again.

Wifi is not good anywhere it Tofino, it is a very remote location. The good news is that Telus will be bringing high speed internet to the west coast next year.

The hot tub was closed, as it was found to have been soiled when inspected. We would rather clean and replace the water than have it not clean and healthy for our guests.

NORFOLK
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights as part of our overall package and my wife was blown away by the place. It is in a fantastic location with absolutely gorgeous views over the beach. Especially as the suns goes down over the Pacific. We had booked a beach front room so we looked out over the beach and it was a pleasure.

The Great Room was also a great experience and every meal we had there was excellent and d value for money.

Staff were friendly and it would pedantic to even try and come up with something that we weren't happy with. Thorougly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get a beach front room if you can...its well worth the extra.
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. We will look forward to welcoming you both in the future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just wonderful, fab room overlooking the beach, great staff, stayed 3 nights didn't want to leave. Relaxed hotel but great service always with a smile. Thank you Long Beach Hotel for a great stay with you.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for your great recommendation, glad you had a wonderful visit. We will look forward to your next visit.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Spent five days at this lovely resort on Vancouver Island. The beach location is great with fantastic views of the ocean and surfers. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The major disappointment was dinner. Some dishes were were overly complicated (too many ingredients) and all meals lacked good flavours (for the price). Breakfast was not an issue. A minor disappointment was a leaking shower stall; which was quickly repaired. I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Check the shower for leaks around the base before unpacking.
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with some of the dinner choices. Please, if you are not completely satisfied with your dinner, please inform your server. If you would wish to email me with details of your concerns, (lblr@shaw.ca) I will pass them along to our Chef, Ian Riddick, and he would be happy to contact you.

I hope you will give us another try.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The resort is set in a beautiful location, the rooms are lovely and the front desk staff are excellent. We stayed for 3 nights, and had to do a room move. We spent the first night in one of the rooms under the Great Room and the overhead noise was fairly moderate (we had been warned of this when booking). When we moved to a room on the 3rd floor the following day the hotel staff forgot to transfer the contents of our fridge (as they advise you to let them do that for you) and so my coconut milk which I had brought from home was thrown away. They apologized for this and Sami specifically went way beyond the call of duty and tracked down a replacement for me in town and delivered it to our room. I was really impressed with her attitude when dealing with this, particularly when she had to call me and tell me what they had done. She handled it all so gracefully. My only real frustration with the lodge was with the kitchen staff of the Great Room. I think they still have much to learn about accommodating guests with food allergies, like myself. I'm allergic to gluten, dairy, corn and soy. While that may be a lot for one person, those aren't uncommon allergens, plus food allergies are on the rise and this is not a passing trend, you are only going to meet more guests like me. Restaurants of the future will be able to differentiate themselves by catering to guests with food allergies (hint, hint) or else maintain a traditional, status quo menu yet die a miserable death by Tripadviser complaints. No one asks to have food allergies, but I did feel a bit like I was being punished for them whenever I ate in the Great Room. (Which, by the way, was my only option. The patio menu doesn't have a single item I can eat on it.) Our server the first night in the Great Room was Julia (who was excellent) and while the menu didn't indicate which items were gluten-free, she said that any item can be adjusted to be gluten-free. What she didn't explain was that the kitchen's idea of making a dish gluten and dairy free is to simply omit all of the offending food items from it (crab cake, potato puree) until you're left with 2 stalks of asparagus, 2 chunks of beets, 1 tiny fingerling potato and the smallest beef tenderloin I have ever seen... all for just $34! When I pointed out my miniature meal to Julia and asked for some more food, she promptly bought some extra vegetables but both nights I ate in the Great Room I paid nearly $50 for my meal, I left still feeling hungry. (A small plate of greens for an appetizer - $14.) The second night I ate there our server was unfortunately not Julia, but a tall guy who all but rolled his eyes when I explained my allergies and how I had to ask for more food the previous night, and he interrupted me and said, "yeah I get it, you just want potatoes and vegetables with your chicken"... which still ended up being the tiniest portion of both (2 fingerling potatoes this time, even though I asked for 4) but by then I was tired of complaining -- trust me, I don't like to complain any more than you guys like to hear it! What the kitchen needs to know is you just can't omit allergen foods and not replace them with a similar quantity of acceptable foods. I was just asking for enough potatoes to make up for the crab cake and bread basket that I wasn't able to fill up on prior to my main course like most others in the restaurant. That's the basic message. There's lots more you could be doing to make people with food allergies feel welcome but I've already written enough here. As for other guests who find themselves hungry after dinner in the Great Room, my advice is to try eating at Shelter restaurant in the town of Tofino instead. They have locally-sourced produce and antibiotic and hormone-free meats, with clear indications on the menu which items are gluten-free and the servers are knowledgeable and accommodating and respectful... like any good Westcoast restaurant should be.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jana Y
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated. I am glad that Sami made the effort to assist you and see to it that your coconut milk was replaced, she is a superstar!

Your comments concerning your food allergies concern me. We ask guests with any serious food issues to contact our Chef, upon your arrival and his staff will be delighted to prepare food especially for you, we just need a heads up. Some guests contact our chef, Ian Riddick before they leave home to discuss their special dietary requirements.

I hope you will visit us again and we can do better!

Granite Bay, California
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at the Lodge for 1 week in June 2014 (16th-23rd). We use TripAdvisor reviews ourselves, so we'll try and provide an honest, unbiased review of this lodge during our stay in Tofino. Keep in mind that everything in this area is expensive. It's a tourist destination, comparable in price to a recent trip to Maui.

We stayed in one of the Rainforest Cottages (#2) during our stay. This cottage is the the right side of the drive as you enter the property and approach the lodge. There are other cottages on both the right and left side of the drive.

PROS:

The staff is very friendly. Erika, in particular, was very helpful with reservations for a boat/seaplane tour of the hot springs when Jamie's cancelled at the last minute due to mechanical problems with their boat. We also found the staff in the surf shop friendly and helpful. Robyn was a great choice for surf instructor and the surf photo package yielded great action shots. Our cottage was very clean and the housekeeping staff kept it that way. The only exception was the substantial spider webs above the front door and indoor windows. We just cleaned it ourselves.

The Great Room gives a wonderful view of the beach and surfers, with comfortable chairs for lounging and meals. Meals were tasty, hot, and staff accommodated menu changes with finesse and friendliness. Choices at the grab and go breakfast bar included tasty fresh scones, mini breads, croissants, and yummy yoghurt/fruit cups.

CONS:

The "rainforest" description is somewhat deceptive. Our cottage backed directly to an access path to the beach and to the resort next door. Rooms from the other resort overlooked our windows, and we could hear the tenants like they were in our room with us. Because of the lack of privacy and noise from neighbors and beach-goers using the path, we could not sleep with our window open. Constant noise! The promotional picture of the lodge on the internet is also deceptive as it excludes the adjacent lodge discussed above.

While there is access to washers/dryers, you have to pay for them. Guests should have free use of these with key card access. Our cabin had broken blinds which had no cord to raise them to open windows. Window locks were broken, leading to security issues when the lodge is packed with guests. Lack of screens on windows and sliding doors caused us to get a couple huge mosquito bites. Breakfast is not served until 0730, so if you have early plans, eat elsewhere. Also, while the staff is great, food is not served until at least 1/2 hour after ordering, and this was during the slow season. Even the grab and go breakfast bar is not available until 0730 , or later, so plan accordingly.

In summary, if you want to give resort service and amenities at tourist prices, you need to pay attention to details.

Room Tip: Avoid cottages on the right side of the entrance.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Raymond F
lblr, Owner at Long Beach Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Very unfortunate that you did not enjoy your cottage visit as the vast majority of our guests do. You are the first guest to comment on the fact that there is a another resort next door! There is yet another resort next door to the resort next door. We have not been deceptive in our description of the cottages or on the internet, all our photographs are real! The property is covered in native vegetation and trees. It is not possible to hear guests from the next door property, any noise could only be from our cottage next door. As the beach trail is not lit, there is no one on it during the night.

We do regular maintenance to all our cottages and rooms, if guests ever have any issues we are delighted to respond immediately, day or night.

Tim Hackett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tofino
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
#3 of 49 in Victoria
Cox Bay Beach Resort
Cox Bay Beach Resort
#9 of 16 in Tofino

Been to Long Beach Lodge Resort? Share your experiences!