“Beautiful location and great service!”
Review of Middle Beach Lodge

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Our stay in the lodge was absolutely perfect!
We booked the cheapest room with ocean view. Although a small room, everything was so nicely designed and cosy! Great bed. The nicest thing about the place is the great living room where you feel immediately at home. We arrived after a long (although beautiful!) journey from victoria and enjoyed the tea and cookies in the evening in front of the fireplace. The atmosphere was even that relaxed that one of us fell asleep on one of the comfy sofas.
In april no dinner was being served but upon request they did arrange us a bottle of red wine. We had dinner in nearby tofino which was no effort at all.
Overall i can really recommend the place, especially because of its beautiful spot next to the sea and beach.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 18 October 2013

... there are a couple of areas where they need to improve ...

A) Dinner
We stayed a couple of nights at the MBL - dinner was only possible at the first night - all other nights we had to eat in Tofino or in the room. We couldn't understand why it is not possible to offer a meal to the guests ... ? We assume that the first night dinner was only possible because there was a group / wedding at the hotel.

B) Room allocations
We arrived without a dog or any other animal - however we were given a "pet friendly room". We could not find out how rooms are cleaned when a pet had been in there and in our case we assume it hadn't been cleaned properly ... We would expect people travelling without pets should be allocated "normal" rooms.

C) Cleanliness in general
Overall average or in some areas poor: There was a "flat mosquito" on one of the walls when we arrive and it was still there when we left - if one would have been only a little bit attentive one would have seen the black spot at the wall ... The dishes, cutlery, glases, etc were simply dirty and one had to wash them before using. The top or first two dishes were fine, everything below was a kind of "greasy" ...

Nevertheless - we enjoyed our stay - but this had to do with the excellent location - we loved the crashing of the waves, walking along the beach, etc. and we are convinced that one could do more out of this location if one focus on the guests and improve services.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bariloche-61
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Bariloche-61,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Middle Beach Lodge, in beautiful Tofino, BC! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stayed overall, and that you were stunned by our beautiful location. We do apologize that certain aspects of your stay did not meet up to your expectations.

At Middle Beach Lodge we do offer dinner 5 nights a week, as well as complimentary breakfast for all of our guests each morning. In the chance that a guest is staying on a night when we do not offer dinner, we can gladly give dinner recommendations in town, and provide discount vouchers for these restaurants. Front desk staff could have provided all this information and more if inquired during your stay.

The only pet friendly units on our property are our cabins. However, all of our cabins our pet friendly. Therefore, you were not "allocated" into a pet friendly unit. If you asked to be in a cabin, then you would have been booked into a cabin. When guests with pets do check out of these units, housekeeping does a thorough deep clean of the unit to remove any pet hair or allergens that might affect future guests with allergies. This is why we charge guests with pets an extra $40.00 pet cleaning fee during their stay.

Your comments on the unit's cleanliness do raise a concern, and I will personally be sharing your comments with our housekeeping manager.

Please feel free to contact myself or our general manager, Josh Hannigan, if you would like to further discuss any comments or concerns you had with your recent stay.

Our hope is that if you were to stay with Middle Beach Lodge in the future, we would ensure that your previous stay does not truly represent our brand, and we would make your average experience into something that would exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I'm not sure if I felt more disappointed or angry that this hotel charges the high prices it does for the poor accommodation you get. I find it absolutely ridiculous especially as I stayed at the amazing black rock hotel in ucluelet for just a little extra the night before where the room was so fantastic. I just wish I hadn't come to middle beach lodge. The room was so tiny, barely enough space for us both to put our bags down where we wouldn't have to keep climbing over them. The bathroom was like a washroom on a plane, also very tiny. So small that the sink had to be put in the bedroom! I was not at all pleased to see that. There was a dusty cobweb in the corner of the room so cleaning standards obviously aren't that great here. I've seen much better rooms staying in hostels. You don't even get a fridge in your room, there's no space of course. It's the first hotel I've been to that doesn't provide a small fridge.
The breakfast was rather nice, it was the one thing I did like here. The views are also nice but there are many nice views around Tofinos accommodation.
So for me, I found it infuriating that you get such a low standard of room for the high price they charge. The manager might say they are competitively priced for Tofino, but I think not. I've seen much cheaper prices elsewhere and the rooms couldn't be any smaller!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank TravellerBing
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear TravellerBing,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Middle Beach Lodge in beautiful, Tofino, BC. It is very concerning to our management team that you had such a "disappointing" stay, and therefore I would like to break down the following issues experienced.

Please note that the unit you stayed in is the smallest unit on the entire property, at the Lodge at the Beach. We do inform guests that this is a "Cozy" ocean facing lodge room with no fridge, TV, or phone. Furthermore, if the front desk would have been informed of the disappointment in the room size we gladly would have offered to discount an upgrade to any of our luxurious lodge rooms, suites, or cabins.

This brings us to the next topic of the unit's cleanliness. I do apologize sincerely that the room was not up to your standards, and there is no excuse for having a cobweb in the corner of the unit. Please be aware that this is a rare situation and the housekeeping manager will be notified of the above complaint.

I do firmly believe that these units are competitively priced based on their amenities. From my years of experience in the hospitality industry, I have yet to see another ocean facing lodge room for $99.00/night that also includes a delicious breakfast. Therefore, I do stand my ground that for the value Middle Beach Lodge provides these units are priced very competitively across the industry.

I do urge you to contact myself or our general manager, Josh Hannigan, if you would like to further discuss any issues or concerns regarding your recent stay.

Our hope is that if you do choose to visit Middle Beach Lodge again, we will be able to prove that your recent experience does not truly represent our brand, and that we would be able to provide you with an outstanding experience.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were there on a girls weekend that just happend, as our luck would have it, on Canadian Thanksgiving. The location is spectacular, perched on a point looking over the Pacific Ocean. We had a suite with a kitchenette and a little living room with fireplace and a private balcony looking out to the ocean. All of that was great, but it was the vibe and the treatment we received inside the actual lodge. Breakfast is included and the smell of fresh baked goods as you walk in the door is intoxicating. Drinking coffee and eating fresh baked goods while watching the sun come up is unbelievable. Then on one of the evenings we took in the homestyle Thanksgiving dinner which felt like being at your favorite (rich) relatives place. After the great meal, we sat around with other guests in the great room by the fireplace and finished our wine or had a coffee. By the time we were checking out we were getting hugs from the staff! Most of the resorts in Tofino all provide wonderful location and great views and activites but it was the atmosphere and the warmth of the staff that made this place so special!

Room Tip: We stayed right next to the main lodge which made it very convenient for meals and made us feel part...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lorrie B
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Wonderful location with amazing views over the ocean. Rustic yes, but in terms of comfort of accommodation certainly lacking. Eg 4 Adults staying for 5 nights with 1 toilet - ours had a broken flush- reported put right and then broke again. No Hanging space just hooks on the wall and no mirror in upstairs sleeping area. A complete lack of tourist information in the Lodge and cabins. Reception staff could have been more voluntarily helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tonycastleton
MBL_Manager, Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear tonycastleton,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Middle Beach Lodge, in beautiful Tofino, BC. We apologize that your stay did not meet up to your expectations, and I will personally be addressing a few of your concerns with our management team.

Unfortunately, all of our cabins come equipped with one bathroom regardless of the cabin size. This was the way the cabins were built and we do inform guests of this when booking. It is even more unfortunate that your toilet was malfunctioning during your stay. Our maintenance team is very skilled and will always try their best to find a solution. In this case it seems the toilet needed a new part and did not have an immediate fix. We do apologize for this as this was an extremely rare instance.

As for storage space, we do have closets in all the cabins and can provide extra coat hangers at the front desk upon request. It is concerning that you found our front desk to have little knowledge on tourist information as all of our front desk staff are long term locals who have all completed the Tofino Ambassador Program. At any given time our front desk staff are more than happy to help answer questions on attractions in the area. Hopefully, this was just a miscommunication, as our front desk staff are very informative and always ready to help.

I would like to encourage you to contact myself or our General Manager, Josh Hannigan with any further comments or concerns.

Our hope is that if you were to return to the West Coast we would have the opportunity to show you that your past experience does not truly represent our brand.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I couldn't have been more impressed by Middle Beach Lodge. It is the epitomy of rustic charm. It is located on the ocean with beautiful views of the beach from the great room. There were a couple rainy days where I was so content to snuggle up on one of the many couches with a blanket, a book and a cup of tea. There is tea, coffee and fruit available in the great room all day. Breakfast was diverse and delicious. The staff were really helpful and let us keep some of our food in the fridge over night. You can borrow a hairdryer, beach towels and sign out rain coats and boots. The laundry room in this building was $2/load but it took an extra dry cycle to dry the clothes which was a little bit inconvenient.
There is a small fitness facility which has some weights and treadmills. There was enough room for my friend and I to put down our yoga mats so it served it's purpose.
I had a room on the ground floor facing the forest. It had a cute little balcony with chairs. The room was rather on the small side. No room for a cot or anything. I liked the wooden hooks along the wall to hang my stuff but if you are more into drawer space, don't expect it. The sink was in the bedroom and toilet and bath were separate. The bed was really comfy and I slept great.
It was also nice that it was adults only which keeps the atmosphere much quieter. I did find my friend and I were the youngest guests there by far. All of the guests were 65 and over. Maybe it was because it was back to school season.... regardless I would love to return with my husband. Because the location is set back quite far from the road you would need to have your own transportation. I only say this because I was staying elsewhere for a course and had a few days off and stayed here. I ended up renting a bike which got me to and from town in about 20-30 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I like a lot of things about this lodge. It is perched right on the edge of the ocean and is rustic, comfortable and inviting. I particularly liked the use of antiques in their theme decorating and the fact that they utilized recycled timbers from other places such as Victoria. Our room had a view of the ocean, and although it didn't have all the "amenities" of a city hotel, it was comfortable and adequate. The included breakfast had a nice variety of food items but only hard-boiled eggs as hot food. The grounds were well groomed and attractive.
The one negative for us was the onsite evening dinner that we quite anticipated. The meal was overpriced for the food and quality we received. The halibut was a large portion but dry and tasteless. The kale was simply awful. I think the cooks could have done better.
All in all, we liked the place and would return for the comfortable, homey feeling of the lodge located in such a beautiful location.

Room Tip: The lodge at the headlands is newer and nicer (from what we could see) than the older lodge on the b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple