“mixed review - but don't share a cabin!”
Review of Middle Beach Lodge

Middle Beach Lodge
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Vancouver, Canada
“mixed review - but don't share a cabin!”
Reviewed 5 August 2008

First off, we booked this "last minute" (about 6 weeks ahead) as a family getaway for myself, my husband, my parents and 2 nieces from out of town. We were lucky to get this, (probably through a cancellation), as it was the absolute only thing left in the entire area. Best advice I can give is that if you want to go to Long Beach in the high season (summer), especially for a long weekend, plan to book at least 1 year in advance. No joke. That's also the only way to get something decent.

No, it's not the lodge's fault we booked so late, but the reason I mention it is that the only thing they had available was what we thought was a 2 bedroom cabin with a pull out sofa bed. We figured it would be cozy, but we could manage for 2 nights. It was advertised to sleep 6, and they were aware we had 6 adults. It was one of their duplex cabins with loft and kitchenette (#46). WARNING! - These cabins should sleep 2 adults, and MAYBE 2 children (at best... maybe, depending on the age of the children). Read on.

The cabin was insanely small. The living/dining/kitchen area is one very small space. There's the sofa bed and 1 wicker chair, plus a small kitchen table with 4 wooden chairs. It's so cramped you have to squeeze around the furniture to get anywhere. There was no storage, closets, or shelves. Just hooks everywhere.

The kitchenette is a joke. It does have a fridge for drinks, a 2 burner stove right up against the sink, a tiny 2 cup coffee maker but not even a microwave or a toaster. It has no counter space and no place for food storage. I had to rearrange and pile up the dishes to put our food somewhere. We had planned to cook breakfast/lunch, but luckily continental breakfast was served in the lodge. Forget trying to cook in this place. We took most of the food back home.

It was so claustrophobic I couldn't be inside for more than a few minutes without needing to go outside. It was that bad. Outside was 2 Adirondack chairs along the walkway/balcony. For more than 2 people outside you'd have to on kitchen chairs, but there wasn't really room. We didn't stick around much and went to nearby Tofino, and to the beach. It was just somewhere to shower and sleep in order to enjoy beautiful Long Beach.

Sleep? My parents took the bedroom with queen bed. That was ok they said. My nieces took the loft (aka second bedroom) which had a very tiny, short, hard, double bed and sloped wall over your head. To get to the loft you need to do so via a very narrow, steep ladder. In fact, they have a warning on the wall to always travel up and down facing the ladder. Is it suitable for anyone not thin and in good shape? No. Is it suitable for young children who may fall down that ladder? No. Is this cabin suitable for 2 couples? No. The loft is also not at all private. With it's open railing you can see the whole thing from below. It's perhaps best suited for slightly older children who think the loft is a tree-house like adventure. We took the pull-out bed. It was ancient and re-covered, but the mattress was fairly new. Unfortunately the springs were completely done in. It sloped so bad you could not lie flat and just slid into the "hole" in the middle. At first we giggled at this ridiculous bed, but after hours of tossing and turning and not being able to sleep, we weren't laughing any more. It was THE worst bed I have ever slept on in my life! We finally decided to pack in the bed and put the mattress on the floor. That was better, but remember, sofa bed mattresses are only a couple of inches thick, so it was rather hard. Plus, it was so crowded no one else could move until we put it away. Good thing we got up early. We mentioned it to the desk staff next day and they sent someone over who put a lumpy duvet under the bottom sheet. Seriously? So night 2 we put that under the mattress, back on the floor and it was marginally better It was sort of like camping like except costs a wee bit more!!

Oh, off and on there was a smell outside. Then we realized we could hear a flushing sound by a concrete man-hole type cover next to the cabin. I guess that's were the sewage goes through. Nice. I live by the ocean. I knew it wasn't the ocean we smelled.

On the good side, the cabin had a gorgeous view over the water. In fact, all if not most of the rooms seem to have a gorgeous view. It was peaceful and quiet. It was clean. It had a huge bathtub, and a big hot water tank with enough hot water for 6 showers!
I liked how all the wooden buildings of the resort blended into the environment. The grounds were spotless. Not even a cigarette butt in site.
The lodge itself was quite cozy I thought. Yes, we noticed too that the common guest age was a bit older, and many didn't speak English, but at night a group sat in the middle of the common lounge room playing a game of some sort, a couple sat in another corner, and another group sat outside on the verandah over-looking the water. The big space was filled with comfy furniture (much better than in the cabin). We tend to do hotels or all-inclusives, so this had a very "lodgey" feeling to me and was one of the best attributes of the place.
For just a continental breakfast it was ok. The hard-boiled eggs a bit cold and the cinnamon rolls a bit hard, but the muffins were fresh baked and the coffee was great.
We didn't try the dinner since only one type of seafood of the day was all they offer.
The staff were all very young, and looked like they were there for a summer job (and maybe to surf on days off), but they were all very courteous and friendly. No complaints there. Even the 2 "kids" who tried to remedy the bed situation were trying to help, but I think they didn't have a clue what to do. It's the management that needs to wake up and address the problems. Really, the resort has so much potential.

We still had a nice weekend spending time with family, and how can anyone not like the magic of Long Beach. However, we absolutely would not ever return as a group/family or even with another couple to share a cabin there. We considered whether we'd return and get just our own room for 2. That would probably have been a whole different, better experience. However, even though the view is nice, none of the units are beachfront whatsoever, not even at the "at the beach" lodge. It was a bit of a hike through the parking lot and down a trail to either Middle beach or Mackenzie beach. We prefer to be closer to the beach, and unless Middle Beach had a great deal, we would return to the Pacific Sands instead. I stayed years ago and it was wonderful. A suite for 2 there was 3 times the size as this one advertized for 6, had a decent kitchenette and fireplace and was a very short, level stroll onto the beach. Much better overall.

Stayed August 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Vancouver
Reviewed 1 August 2008

I was treated to a getaway to Middle Beach Lodge as a surprise for my 40th birthday. The suite priced at over $300 (taxes incl.) was like a tiny cottage attached to 5 other suites over looking the water. It had furniture in it that was rustic and a couch/pullout bed that looked like it was from the 1970's... no support from the back so you sort of sank back into it. I agree with the other poster that the bedroom was like a kingsize bed sandwiched into a room that should only fit a double at best. The door to the bedroom creaked so loudly, you'd think they would be able to notice this while doing the housekeeping. It seems at these prices the management is out of their league in "noticing the details". The duvet was indeed heavy... felt like a lead blanket at the dentist's office and I have to agree, the lighting in the bathrooms is erratic. Dim, and not properly placed. The ratty towels were placed in a basket under the sink (on the floor)... should your guests be stooping for towels? Why not invest in say, a towel rack for each room? The tub was advertised as a jacuzzi tub... but there were no jets... so it was a soaker tub, NOT a jacuzzi tub. Thankfully our eletctric fireplace worked as it was a chilly night. Anyhow, the menu like others have remarked was not impressive.... not offering a selection of entrees is criminal when you're charging these prices (by the way food is @ $35.00 for the 3 course meal.) Go spend your money in town at Shelter, Raincoast Cafe, or the Pointe at Wickanninnish where they understand what service and good food are all about. But to top it all off, friends of mine had arranged a "surprise" on top of this surprise which the friend treating me was not aware of. Upon checkin, I was to receive a birthday basket with champagne, chocolates and other treats, as well as a $250.00 gift certificate to book whale watching, use in the dining room or as contra for shopping in town..... I NEVER GOT IT!!!!!!! My friends had coyly said they were having something delivered for my birthday, and when I informed them I would not be home, they said, not to worry that they had taken care of everything. Well it seems that the front desk staff of MIddle Beach Lodge botched this, and I presume they never even made the note in the reservation that this birthday gift was to be presented.... To make matters worse, I returned home and after 5 days contacted my friends to ask them if something had been sent as I hadn't received it. Their jaws dropped... they fell silent.... They said " didn't you receive the basket and the gift certificate?" When I said "NO"... their shock, turned to anger and they contacted the lodge. The person at the front desk refunded their money and blamed housekeeping for not arranging the basket... I'm sorry but housekeeping may be responsible for putting the basket together, but they are not responsilbe for presenting it or the gift certificate.... so clearly, there is very poor organizational skills at play here.... Also, the Lodge never even contacted me to tell me that the gift certificate was waiting there for me.... it was a week to the day that they had to be made aware that I never received it. Gillian, the Front Desk Manager should be reprimanded... Why didn't she notice the gift certificate and contact me, and/or my friends to apologize for their glaring mistake..... I have been playing phone tag now for 2 days to speak with her and the General Manager about how they ruined my friend's surprise, but also to address their lack of communication skills, lack of organizational skills, and what seems to be people operating a lodge that don't seem fit for their jobs.... Judging by other's testimonials, you'd be better off staying in a motel in Tofino as staying at Middle Beach Lodge is like that nightmare trip to summer camp as a child, where nothing seems comfortable, the food is terrible, but the view is gorgeous.... You can't hang your customers out to dry for a view without backing it up with service or good food. I will never return to Middle Beach Lodge.... No one has even apologized to my friends for their mistake. This place is being run by amateurs... and I'm sure the owners are not investing in their guest's experience as the amenities are dated and falling apart.... cheap, cheap, cheap! This place will probably be turned into a summer camp for kids.... and would probably be better run. Nuff said, don't waste your money here!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Old, dated amenities slapped together without much thought.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HappyTraveller2003
Edmonton, AB
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Upon arriving at 3:30 pm for our four night stay, check in being 3pm, we were told our room wasn't ready. The young lady at the desk said it would only be another half hour, perfect we'll just hang out in the parking lot. After getting the key to our room we moved our stuff in and noticed some strange smell, something musty or damp........don't know. We were going to save some money on restaurants with there being a kitchenette. You're not going to cook much in this kitchen,two burner stove, minifridge, next to no utensils, there went that idea.

Rustic ....a love seat that died twenty years ago, lamps that are homemade and the screws are loose, beds are something you would not expect to sleep on for over $300 a night, pillows that don't offer any support, and a duvet that may be military issue as it was so heavy it pinned you to the bed.

Choice of three lights in bathroom still not very good for shaving, one conveniently located directly over you in the shower be careful not to splash it (electrical code violation). If you're standing at the check in desk don't worry someone will be there right after they finish thier gossip about what happened last night.

The lodge is a beautiful setting overlooking the water, fireplace only used in winter, chairs and couches good but it's like a library setting - don't talk to loud or you might disturb someone! I thought it might be a good spot to meet some people and exchage fish stories, not.

There were some kids around, I felt sorry for them.

Continental breakfast was excellent many choices, fresh breads, juices, cereals, coffee , tea. A little walk to the north gets you to a nice quite beach to read, relax, while the walk to the south beach is busy with all the campers, kids, dogs and noise included.

We are in our forties with a seventeen year old son, we are active seems the average age staying here is late fifties like to read a book and nap.

We cut our loses short and bailed the next morning, found a place not to far away, (cabin) and would not hesitate to return to that spot.

Stayed July 2008
3 Thank IncineratorRock
British Columbia
Reviewed 27 June 2008

We have just returned from one night at Middle Beach Lodge. We've been to Long Beach and Tofino many times over the years and have stayed at Wickininish, Long Beach Lodge etc but thought we would try Middle Beach for our anniversary. We booked the Headlands Suite Number 31, located almost over the water at the front of the resort. The view could not be better . The nightly rate was $ 360 so we expected something special but the "suite " was a major disappointment. At best it was a medium size hotel room with barely enough space for the bed and 2 upholstered chairs. The walls needed paint. No mini fridge to store our wine.

As another poster said, the towels are worn and gray and should have long ago been replaced. It's hard to understand management allowing this to happen.

In the dining room there is one sitting for dinner. We had made a reservation. It is a set price menu of 4 courses including appies, salad, entree, and desert. There is no choice of entrees, only what they are serving. We arrived 10 minutes early to discover that apparently the appetizers had been set out on a large table and now were all gone with no more available. In an upscale resort, how can this sort of thing happen ? We found our table and finally attracted what seemed to be the only server and were able to get a glass of wine each. The server told us that dinner was now "available" and we were to line up with the other diners to pass by the kitchen opening where we would be served. So we all line up like we are in a soup kitchen for the poor. The entree was soggy halibut. It's my belief that the Lodge doesn't really have a chef and gets by with cooks doing simple meals which is fine if they have proper controls and turn out decent meals. My wife felt the dinner was just acceptable, while I was not at all impressed. She does halibut far better in our kitchen at home.

Breakfast next morning was very basic. Laid out on a few tables in the dining room it did not include a selection of eggs
( hard boiled only ) and no fruit or fruit salad.

So after dropping over $ 500 on one night lodging and food, we left knowing we won't return to Middle Beach Lodge .

• Liked — Location and view
  • Disliked — room quality. food
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank galiano
Duesseldorf
Reviewed 8 June 2008

We (couple, mid forties) stayed at the MBL for 3 nights in May 2008. Being walk-in guests, we were offered a sixplex suite on the second floor with an ocean view. The fireplace didn't work so we were offered an additional discount of 25,- per night.

First the good points! Nice location and setting. Beautiful fireplace lodge in the main building. Good access to beaches and trails and town. Suite has a kitchen which is well equipped. Big bathroom with nice, large tub (not a whil pool). They offer gummi boots and rain coats for free h´rental, which is a nice service. Coffee and tee are always available at the main lodge.

What could be better:
- Staff at reception is not very professional (it was low season), one girl seemed annoyed by the guests and extremely stressed.
- Due to the season there was no restaurant staff. To get a glass of wine in the main lodge was not easy - no one knew the bottles, the key was lost (initially we were told it could not be found but after some complaining on our part suddenly it appeared...).
- Very annoying: we were told not to use laptops in the main lodge (officially they are only allowed in the downstairs conference room) so other guests could "enjoy the peace and quit". BUT: Many people were ignoring this silly rule (none of the laptops made a single sound, they are quieter than turning a page! The whole thing made us feel like children being scolded by an 18-year-old teenager.
- Towels in the room are old, thin and yellowed.
-Breakfast is ok (continental), but no butter is offered, only margerine.

To sum it up: Good choice if you get a decent rate but expect some down turners if you come out of high season (I expect staff is better then).

• Liked — location, setting
  • Disliked — staff, laptop rules, towels
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LazyGermans
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 15 May 2008

Terrific location directly on the water with good to excellent views depending on your accomodations. Very large and nice lounge/sitting room directly on the water. Short distance to Tofino and Pacific Rim Park. Enjoyed a day of whale and bear watching with the oldest operator there, Jamie's. The whale watching was a bit cool for us Floridians in late April/early May but we bundled up and had a good time. Several good restaurants in Tofino. There is also a restaurant in the hotel but it is only open certain nights depending on the time of year.

Jim and Theresa, Tampa

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Norwich
Reviewed 1 May 2008

We stayed at Middle Beach Lodge for three nights on our honeymoon on Vancouver Island and LOVED IT!
The first night was a last minute booking after deciding to to drive through Port Alberni and not stay the night there - nb: Port Alberni is referred to as "the armpit of the island" by those that live on Vancouver Island - avoid at all costs!
We had a room at the Headlands which was small but lovely with a partial sea view.
When we returned two days later there was a mix up with the room we booked and we rather luckily got upgraded to a suite with a balcony looking out at the beautiful ocean and a lovely big bathroom. The place is amazing, with wonderful views, helpful staff and great free muffins and coffee served all day in the gorgeous lounge. A big thumbs up to Middle Beach Lodge - you have it spot on!

• Liked — The views
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple