“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Cardiff
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

Spent 2 nights with my wife here last week and it was a total retreat and worth every penny. We had one of the suites and it overlooked the pacific. Felt like I was a million miles from anywhere. Very friendly and relaxed and the shared living area has tea and coffee available always and also games / books etc. Small gym, private beach and they do not serve supper on 2 nights so we ordered in take away pizzza. The meal that we had the night we were there was excellent, wild salmon......

Room was lovely and clean, just what we required at the end of a busy 3 weeks travelling.

Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2008

My husband and i loved our stay at this rustic/classic looking resort this month. From start to finish our stay was very relaxed and filled with great food ( loved the breakfast and the dinners).

As a young professional couple we are always looking to find a great weekend getaway that is somewhat up scale to relax and flake out without being in a stuffy atmosphere...we have found that place here! The resort is beautiful without being over done or feeling like we had to dress up.

While the staff at the lodge are really young they were friendly and provided us with great information about the area; best surf shops to rent gear and the best beach for beginners!

The view from our room was fantastic and it was hard to leave the balcony. Our only complaint would be for the breakfast to be held a little longer...we found it hard to make it on time every morning. We will reccomend this place to our friends for sure.

• Liked — the setting, atmosphere , the location
  • Disliked — breakfast is not held long enough
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Utrecht
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

We (2 couples) stayed in Cottage number 56 (headlands) including a hottub on the balcony. The experience of Tofino itself makes any hotelstay in this area amazing on it's own.
Middle beach has a great/amazing/awesome view of the ocean, incredible. The cottage itself was very good, very clean and well maintained. The railings on the balcony can use an upgrade as did the door to the bathroom. We loved the hottub, it fit's 2 people easily.

Disapointing for us was the included (continental) breakfast. Although all of the baked food are fresh right out of the oven we expected something more the continental with perhaps a more european style breakfast.
Also i could not get internet to work on my laptop from the designated areas. In the cottage there is no internet at all.

Overal our experience was one to never forget and we can recommend this hotel to anyone

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
York, Engalnd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2008

The Middle Beach Lodge is situated on its own in a forrest overlooking the pacific ocean. The hotel is a couple of miles outside the town of Tofino where there are numerous restaurants and activities (kayaking, surfing and whale and bear watching). We stayed in the beach lodge which has a fantastic lounge area overlooking the ocean - an excellent breakfast is provided here in the mornings as well as hot chocolate and cookies in the evening. The staff were excellent. The rooms were clean and comfortable although are quite small. There is a lot of wildlife close by so if you are lucky you may get to see a bear close up when walking across the car park.

• Liked — The staff, views and the cookies
  • Disliked — The bed was a bit small
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

First off, we booked this "last minute" (about 6 weeks ahead) as a family getaway for myself, my husband, my parents and 2 nieces from out of town. We were lucky to get this, (probably through a cancellation), as it was the absolute only thing left in the entire area. Best advice I can give is that if you want to go to Long Beach in the high season (summer), especially for a long weekend, plan to book at least 1 year in advance. No joke. That's also the only way to get something decent.

No, it's not the lodge's fault we booked so late, but the reason I mention it is that the only thing they had available was what we thought was a 2 bedroom cabin with a pull out sofa bed. We figured it would be cozy, but we could manage for 2 nights. It was advertised to sleep 6, and they were aware we had 6 adults. It was one of their duplex cabins with loft and kitchenette (#46). WARNING! - These cabins should sleep 2 adults, and MAYBE 2 children (at best... maybe, depending on the age of the children). Read on.

The cabin was insanely small. The living/dining/kitchen area is one very small space. There's the sofa bed and 1 wicker chair, plus a small kitchen table with 4 wooden chairs. It's so cramped you have to squeeze around the furniture to get anywhere. There was no storage, closets, or shelves. Just hooks everywhere.

The kitchenette is a joke. It does have a fridge for drinks, a 2 burner stove right up against the sink, a tiny 2 cup coffee maker but not even a microwave or a toaster. It has no counter space and no place for food storage. I had to rearrange and pile up the dishes to put our food somewhere. We had planned to cook breakfast/lunch, but luckily continental breakfast was served in the lodge. Forget trying to cook in this place. We took most of the food back home.

It was so claustrophobic I couldn't be inside for more than a few minutes without needing to go outside. It was that bad. Outside was 2 Adirondack chairs along the walkway/balcony. For more than 2 people outside you'd have to on kitchen chairs, but there wasn't really room. We didn't stick around much and went to nearby Tofino, and to the beach. It was just somewhere to shower and sleep in order to enjoy beautiful Long Beach.

Sleep? My parents took the bedroom with queen bed. That was ok they said. My nieces took the loft (aka second bedroom) which had a very tiny, short, hard, double bed and sloped wall over your head. To get to the loft you need to do so via a very narrow, steep ladder. In fact, they have a warning on the wall to always travel up and down facing the ladder. Is it suitable for anyone not thin and in good shape? No. Is it suitable for young children who may fall down that ladder? No. Is this cabin suitable for 2 couples? No. The loft is also not at all private. With it's open railing you can see the whole thing from below. It's perhaps best suited for slightly older children who think the loft is a tree-house like adventure. We took the pull-out bed. It was ancient and re-covered, but the mattress was fairly new. Unfortunately the springs were completely done in. It sloped so bad you could not lie flat and just slid into the "hole" in the middle. At first we giggled at this ridiculous bed, but after hours of tossing and turning and not being able to sleep, we weren't laughing any more. It was THE worst bed I have ever slept on in my life! We finally decided to pack in the bed and put the mattress on the floor. That was better, but remember, sofa bed mattresses are only a couple of inches thick, so it was rather hard. Plus, it was so crowded no one else could move until we put it away. Good thing we got up early. We mentioned it to the desk staff next day and they sent someone over who put a lumpy duvet under the bottom sheet. Seriously? So night 2 we put that under the mattress, back on the floor and it was marginally better It was sort of like camping like except costs a wee bit more!!

Oh, off and on there was a smell outside. Then we realized we could hear a flushing sound by a concrete man-hole type cover next to the cabin. I guess that's were the sewage goes through. Nice. I live by the ocean. I knew it wasn't the ocean we smelled.

On the good side, the cabin had a gorgeous view over the water. In fact, all if not most of the rooms seem to have a gorgeous view. It was peaceful and quiet. It was clean. It had a huge bathtub, and a big hot water tank with enough hot water for 6 showers!
I liked how all the wooden buildings of the resort blended into the environment. The grounds were spotless. Not even a cigarette butt in site.
The lodge itself was quite cozy I thought. Yes, we noticed too that the common guest age was a bit older, and many didn't speak English, but at night a group sat in the middle of the common lounge room playing a game of some sort, a couple sat in another corner, and another group sat outside on the verandah over-looking the water. The big space was filled with comfy furniture (much better than in the cabin). We tend to do hotels or all-inclusives, so this had a very "lodgey" feeling to me and was one of the best attributes of the place.
For just a continental breakfast it was ok. The hard-boiled eggs a bit cold and the cinnamon rolls a bit hard, but the muffins were fresh baked and the coffee was great.
We didn't try the dinner since only one type of seafood of the day was all they offer.
The staff were all very young, and looked like they were there for a summer job (and maybe to surf on days off), but they were all very courteous and friendly. No complaints there. Even the 2 "kids" who tried to remedy the bed situation were trying to help, but I think they didn't have a clue what to do. It's the management that needs to wake up and address the problems. Really, the resort has so much potential.

We still had a nice weekend spending time with family, and how can anyone not like the magic of Long Beach. However, we absolutely would not ever return as a group/family or even with another couple to share a cabin there. We considered whether we'd return and get just our own room for 2. That would probably have been a whole different, better experience. However, even though the view is nice, none of the units are beachfront whatsoever, not even at the "at the beach" lodge. It was a bit of a hike through the parking lot and down a trail to either Middle beach or Mackenzie beach. We prefer to be closer to the beach, and unless Middle Beach had a great deal, we would return to the Pacific Sands instead. I stayed years ago and it was wonderful. A suite for 2 there was 3 times the size as this one advertized for 6, had a decent kitchenette and fireplace and was a very short, level stroll onto the beach. Much better overall.

Stayed August 2008
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2008

I was treated to a getaway to Middle Beach Lodge as a surprise for my 40th birthday. The suite priced at over $300 (taxes incl.) was like a tiny cottage attached to 5 other suites over looking the water. It had furniture in it that was rustic and a couch/pullout bed that looked like it was from the 1970's... no support from the back so you sort of sank back into it. I agree with the other poster that the bedroom was like a kingsize bed sandwiched into a room that should only fit a double at best. The door to the bedroom creaked so loudly, you'd think they would be able to notice this while doing the housekeeping. It seems at these prices the management is out of their league in "noticing the details". The duvet was indeed heavy... felt like a lead blanket at the dentist's office and I have to agree, the lighting in the bathrooms is erratic. Dim, and not properly placed. The ratty towels were placed in a basket under the sink (on the floor)... should your guests be stooping for towels? Why not invest in say, a towel rack for each room? The tub was advertised as a jacuzzi tub... but there were no jets... so it was a soaker tub, NOT a jacuzzi tub. Thankfully our eletctric fireplace worked as it was a chilly night. Anyhow, the menu like others have remarked was not impressive.... not offering a selection of entrees is criminal when you're charging these prices (by the way food is @ $35.00 for the 3 course meal.) Go spend your money in town at Shelter, Raincoast Cafe, or the Pointe at Wickanninnish where they understand what service and good food are all about. But to top it all off, friends of mine had arranged a "surprise" on top of this surprise which the friend treating me was not aware of. Upon checkin, I was to receive a birthday basket with champagne, chocolates and other treats, as well as a $250.00 gift certificate to book whale watching, use in the dining room or as contra for shopping in town..... I NEVER GOT IT!!!!!!! My friends had coyly said they were having something delivered for my birthday, and when I informed them I would not be home, they said, not to worry that they had taken care of everything. Well it seems that the front desk staff of MIddle Beach Lodge botched this, and I presume they never even made the note in the reservation that this birthday gift was to be presented.... To make matters worse, I returned home and after 5 days contacted my friends to ask them if something had been sent as I hadn't received it. Their jaws dropped... they fell silent.... They said " didn't you receive the basket and the gift certificate?" When I said "NO"... their shock, turned to anger and they contacted the lodge. The person at the front desk refunded their money and blamed housekeeping for not arranging the basket... I'm sorry but housekeeping may be responsible for putting the basket together, but they are not responsilbe for presenting it or the gift certificate.... so clearly, there is very poor organizational skills at play here.... Also, the Lodge never even contacted me to tell me that the gift certificate was waiting there for me.... it was a week to the day that they had to be made aware that I never received it. Gillian, the Front Desk Manager should be reprimanded... Why didn't she notice the gift certificate and contact me, and/or my friends to apologize for their glaring mistake..... I have been playing phone tag now for 2 days to speak with her and the General Manager about how they ruined my friend's surprise, but also to address their lack of communication skills, lack of organizational skills, and what seems to be people operating a lodge that don't seem fit for their jobs.... Judging by other's testimonials, you'd be better off staying in a motel in Tofino as staying at Middle Beach Lodge is like that nightmare trip to summer camp as a child, where nothing seems comfortable, the food is terrible, but the view is gorgeous.... You can't hang your customers out to dry for a view without backing it up with service or good food. I will never return to Middle Beach Lodge.... No one has even apologized to my friends for their mistake. This place is being run by amateurs... and I'm sure the owners are not investing in their guest's experience as the amenities are dated and falling apart.... cheap, cheap, cheap! This place will probably be turned into a summer camp for kids.... and would probably be better run. Nuff said, don't waste your money here!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Old, dated amenities slapped together without much thought.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank HappyTraveller2003
Edmonton, AB
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2008

Upon arriving at 3:30 pm for our four night stay, check in being 3pm, we were told our room wasn't ready. The young lady at the desk said it would only be another half hour, perfect we'll just hang out in the parking lot. After getting the key to our room we moved our stuff in and noticed some strange smell, something musty or damp........don't know. We were going to save some money on restaurants with there being a kitchenette. You're not going to cook much in this kitchen,two burner stove, minifridge, next to no utensils, there went that idea.

Rustic ....a love seat that died twenty years ago, lamps that are homemade and the screws are loose, beds are something you would not expect to sleep on for over $300 a night, pillows that don't offer any support, and a duvet that may be military issue as it was so heavy it pinned you to the bed.

Choice of three lights in bathroom still not very good for shaving, one conveniently located directly over you in the shower be careful not to splash it (electrical code violation). If you're standing at the check in desk don't worry someone will be there right after they finish thier gossip about what happened last night.

The lodge is a beautiful setting overlooking the water, fireplace only used in winter, chairs and couches good but it's like a library setting - don't talk to loud or you might disturb someone! I thought it might be a good spot to meet some people and exchage fish stories, not.

There were some kids around, I felt sorry for them.

Continental breakfast was excellent many choices, fresh breads, juices, cereals, coffee , tea. A little walk to the north gets you to a nice quite beach to read, relax, while the walk to the south beach is busy with all the campers, kids, dogs and noise included.

We are in our forties with a seventeen year old son, we are active seems the average age staying here is late fifties like to read a book and nap.

We cut our loses short and bailed the next morning, found a place not to far away, (cabin) and would not hesitate to return to that spot.

Stayed July 2008