“great!”
Review of Middle Beach Lodge

Middle Beach Lodge
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Reviewed 30 December 2009

magic place, excellent quality for that price (low season price)

Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Middle Beach Lodge

Reviewed 15 November 2009

Situated on the ocean we stayed at the Beach Lodge section on the cove. Breathtaking.
Rooms are very small w/ no closets but cozy. I had a balcony with chairs but it was so wet, didn't use. Inn has wellies and raincoats to loan, great idea.
The conference I was at had the whole Beach Lodge, so exclusive use of the lodge room w/ fireplace and windows overlooking the cove. Staff provides quite a continental breakfast daily, fresh baked croissants and cinnamon rolls and muffins, yogurt, cereal, granola. They leave out leftover baked goods all day w/ coffee. tea and hot cocoa. At 8pm, they bake fresh cookies. The aroma of the place is amazing all day!
The Beach lodge had comfy chairs, sofas and tables to spread out. The beach is amazing, forest right up to sand, and water runs out of the forest onto the beach.
You can't see any other buildings from this lodge, nothing in sight.
I walked into Tofino one day, about 4 miles into town but a nice walking path once you get onto the Pacific Rim Hwy.
Shelter and the Pointe at the Wick were great restaurants.
Limited shopping in the town but very nice area.
I would go back.
I agree w/ some of the comments on staff, they are nice but not really trained in hospitality, stand offish.
Cleanliness was medium. And does need more ongoing maintenance.
I would go back, great atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2009

My husband and I have been going to middle beach lodge for years now. I can now say that I will never return to this resort again. Not only is the lodge out dated, and falling appart...the service you receive is aswel. The most recent and LAST time i was at this resort, I walked into my room to find not only was it not cleaned, but there was another family sitting in my living room, when i went to the front desk to resolve the problem, they upgraded me to a better room and off I went. When walking into this room I was delighted, it was a nice and updated room at the beach house, that was until i went into the bathroom to find that the toilet was "getting fixed". I then packed up my stuff and went back up to the main lodge ( not in good walking distance when you have bags with you ) I told them I was going to be cancelling my booking at the resort and taking my business eles were....when i was told i would be charged a 40 dollar cancellation fee. I then asked to speak to the manager...when i was then told that the situation would not get resolved my talking to the manager, and that they were sorry! I will NEVER go to this resort again. I recomend that anyone reading this takes my advice. This resort has rude front desk workers, and doesnt have any organization skills at all. The only way i would return is if this resort was under different management! One thing i can say, is the housekeepers were nice and polite...as well as the "fix it: boys.

From one annoyed long term guest!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Annoyed28
MBLFrontDeskManager, Front Desk Manager at Middle Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2010

As my first response to a posting on TripAdvisor, let me first say, on behalf of everyone at Middle Beach, I am truly sorry that you had this experience. I took over the role of Front Desk manager at the end of December 2009 and it is my singular goal to prevent this sort of event from happening in the future. An avid traveller myself, I have very high expectations for Middle Beach - it is a very special place - and when those expectations aren't met, I feel your frustration.

I hope that you will consider returning to Middle Beach in the future. I would be happy to speak to you in person to outline the changes we have made (and continue to make) here at the Lodge. Pleae feel free to contact me at 1-866-725-2900.

I look forward to the opportunity to restore your good opinon of Middle Beach.
Yours truly,
Chenoa Akey
Front Desk Manager
Middle Beach Lodge

Reviewed 5 November 2009

As part of our 2 week stay in Victoria we planned a 3 day stay in Tofino to take in the scenery and see a more rustic part of Vancouver Island. After calling the Middle Beach Lodge we were offered a full ocen view suite with a gas fireplace and kitchen at $230 a night plus taxes and fees with a 2 night minimum.

The room had a great view and that was it. This is a hotel for backpackers or folks that travel light. By the way, none of the pictures on their website matched our actual room.

We checked in at the impressive front desk with a great lobby area with comfortable furniture and great wood burning fireplace. I'm excited, this place looks like the real deal. We get our keys to the #62, one of 6 "deluxe" suites in the Lodge at the Headlands.

Open the door and it's all downhill from there. Kitchen has oven mitts that are greasy and dirty along with the kitchen waste basket. The GAS fireplace turns out to be a switch on the wall that controls a lightbulb in the fireplace with fake flames (you can put your hand in the "flames" without fear). We take our luggage into the tiny bedroom with the lumpy, cratered mattress and you literally have ZERO space to put your luggage and NO closet, just hooks on the wall, have fun walking around your bags for the stay.

Bathroom opens up to the bedroom with only a couple of louvered sliding doors seperating the 2 areas. OK for most functions but not for using the toilet. Speaking of the toilet, It overflows on the first flush. I call the desk and they are there in a flash with the the Toilet Overflow emergency kit, plunger, towels, bucket and mop. Apparently a regular occurence at the Lodge.

Needless to say we cut our visit short and left the next morning with our whopping $30.00 discount.

It really is a shame because this hotel is right on the beach with great views but it takes alot of nerve to charge $200 + a night in low season for a room like this.

We scouted other hotels for future visits and the Wickaninnish Inn for $50-$100 more a night was a great value and VERY nice with great, luxurious rooms and views equal to the Middle Beach Lodge.

Had we not been over promised and over charged, then the Middle Beach Lodge would have been tolerable but this is NOT a place to stay if you want comfort and any kind of plush. It's rough, old and cramped with a GREAT view and location and absolutely nothing else to offer.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank george1977
Reviewed 1 November 2009

October drew us back for a second visit to Middle Beach and all it offers! We have found a favourite that brings that special West Coast feel each day there. The waves pounding on MacKenize Beach and the sounds of the Pacific stand out in our memories from both trips.

The staff were excellent to deal with and were courteous/friendly through out our three day visit. Most of our dealings were with the front desk staff and they were very helpful with our many questions and advice on what to see in Tofino. They were all good ambassadors for Middle Beach and made our stay all the more enjoyable. Hi-lites for us were the daily walks along the sand for miles, sitting on our balcony listening to the ocean daytime or night and finding hidden coves to just sit and relax quietly. My wife each morning really enjoyed an early beach walk and then quiet reading in the lodge "great room" overlooking the point. We both loved the hot cinamon buns with tea available each morning fresh.

Staff were knowledgeable about tours and we ended up on a whale watching tour. The guide "Popi" at Weigh West went out of his way to ask each passenger what they wanted to see as well as whales. And then he succeeded in finding something for everyone - gray whales, eagles, sea otters, birds, seals and sea lions - unbelievable memories and photos!

When there check out a smaller beach down a wooded trail to the right of the lodge (right when facing the water) - I think it is only accessible from Middle Beach Lodge and offers a smaller less visited beach that offers great opportunity to relax in solitude with the ocean.

Enjoy your visit to Tofino ande Middle Beach Lodge as we did!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Comfy room, with ocean view (although it was a bit foggy when we were there). Nice atmosphere and friendly staff (all girls...).

Free internet available. Breakfast was home made and yummy. Loved sitting near the fireplace, while sipping Tazo tea and enjoying a freshly baked muffin or cookie (teas and coffees are also to go). This is the life. Wellies, raincoats and umbrellas to lend. Dinner is only fish (vegetarians are better off in Tofino - lots of veggie things to choose from), and quite expensive.

Location is beautiful. Great views of the ocean and some islands. Tofino is just 10 minutes by car. Great place to relax and unwind. Oh and check out the forests ofcourse!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Just stayed at middle beach lodge in a larger cabin (54) with a breath-taking view of Mackenzie Beach, from the cheery front desk staff to the delicious breakfast, Middle Beach Lodge was a perfect way to experience Tofino for the first time.

The best part of the trip was going on a whale watch with Middle Beach Lodge's sister resort the Weight West Marine Center, this was arranged by employees who worked at both the lodge and the whale center, and we enjoyed it greatly...Saw Grey Whales!

Overall our stay was perfect, and would reccomend to anyone heading to the west coast

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family