“Worst ever”

Ranked #17 of 42 Tofino B&B and Inns
Milan, Italy
“Worst ever”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Pros: Convenient location; exterior of building.

Cons: Non-existent service; no support for travelers; bad attitude of staff; poorly maintained/furnished room; no security; massively overpriced; lack of transparency on prices.

Summary: Dollar for dollar, the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Spent 4 days there in August, 2012.

Let's start with the positives. The Inn at Tough City is located in a great spot near the inlet/harbor so you have easy access to tourist services, although you'll need to find/explore them yourself. The building is quite an attractive, rustic, personalized lodging with its own character.

Now, the reality, which I'll explain point by point as per the cons above.

Non-existent service/No support for travelers: Nobody was ever on hand at the reception except for the day we checked out, unless you include the dog, who I have to say was a lot friendlier than the staff. This meant waiting to check-in and giving up when trying to get information about where to go for various activities in and around Tofino. The one time my wife and I saw someone, I believe it was the proprietor, and she was counting money at the reception desk, but didn't really look up to greet us. When my wife described what we'd done that day, she seemed indifferent and actually continued to count the money, simply grunting a few uh-huhs and oh, really(s).

Bad attitude of staff: They were just not hospitable at all, doing the absolute minimum in terms of their roles, offering explanations/answers to questions and even basic manners. At best, they could be described as indifferent.

We discovered a piece of paper listing services for the room that we needed to check if we wanted them done - cleaning; making the bed; fresh towels, etc. For the price charged, all of this should be automatic. I had the sense that this form was basically a waiver that excused the hotel of doing the basics, and after my experience, realized I was absolutely correct. I've found service was usually very good in Canada, where I'm from, but was truly irritated by this experience.

Poorly maintained/furnished room: The room had several problems, some more serious than the others. I probably would have ignored some if others had been taken care of. The biggest issue was that on the comforter / duvet (the bed cover), there was a stain, torn material and a cigarette burn just below my face. The walls had some marks on them and part of the wooden floor was damaged. A light failed to work and there were no instructions found about what to do in the town - there's actually a TV channel with non-stop local businesses advertising, but I think the hotel should offer an independent evaluation, not be part of a cartel of local businesses that all seem to have the same prices.

No security: There was nowhere to store valuables in the room (in case I didn't want to carry my camera around or leave something else not needed). You could say I should've left things with the staff, but see the first point above and you'll soon realize why I gave up on talking to them. The doors have ancient locks - I'm not paranoid, but again, for the cost of this room, it needed to be a lot better.

Massively overpriced/Lack of transparency on prices: With tax, the total came to about $850, or $212.50/night, which worked out to about €170/night at the exchange rate offered during this period. For this price, I don't think a 4-star hotel is unreasonable in Europe. There are no extra services, basically just a place to sleep in a convenient location.

Taxes are not included, although this is quite standard in Canada, but the extra $90 on the bill at the end was a bit of a surprise. More irritating was the $15 tourist tax. This information should be offered and explained to the person booking before confirming, although this is a more general Canadian issue. The REAL problem was the staff told me we could get our taxes back when leaving the country. I had doubts about this - being Canadian, I knew about this rule for foreign visitors, but had also checked whether it was still valid before coming and noticed it was not, and hadn't been for years. This was confirmed in a shop and at the airport later. It's not that the hotel defines the taxes, but they should at least make some effort to inform guests.

This is my first review on Trip Advisor. It's probably a little long, but I was fuming after this stay. I've traveled extensively for 15 years to countries in Asia, Europe and North America and this hotel inspired me to sit down and write. I've had mostly positive experiences traveling and will share the better spots I've been to and will visit in the future.

Stay away from The Inn at Tough City.

2 Thank Mark T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We booked a king room by booking.com and we had a really poor queen bed because as the lady at the front desk said , there was a double booking .

She was nice to give us a room with a nice view instead of the king ( with partial harbour view we rent) but the room itself was so poorly furnished that it was incredible for 150 $
really poor mattress , furniture dented , broken etc ...no shade on the window door , so after I asked, she gave me a curtain but nothing to hang it on !!! I had to stuck it on the door !!! it was like a bad bad camping ., always for 150 $
We were downstairs to th restaurant so quite noisy with all the chairs and people but only until 11 PM
As the pillow and duvet are filled with feather , I asked to have cotton instead, and she was nice enough to give it to me
I have to say that may be it was only this room that feel like a room to put old furnitures et stuff and I hope upstairs are the nice room , overall it was an unpleasant memory !

1 Thank Line L

Travellers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The hotel was okay. The no elevator thing was a bit of a bust since we had big suitcases with us. The room was very clean and the staff was helpful. The room was pretty expensive for what we got for the price. Parking was hard to find near the hotel. Very busy street. One of the rooms we stayed in didn't have any windows other than the patio door.

Room Tip: Make sure your suitcase isn't too heavy to carry up a flight of stairs.
1 Thank jjoly
Genova, Liguria, Italy
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We’ve been at The Inn at Tough City some days ago, for a two nights/stay. Tofino is a beautiful place and The Inn is in a stunning position, with a wonderful view on the bay and the channel in front of the city. Our room was the most expensive of the Inn (about 200€/night!), it was very beautiful, with a breathtaking waterfront window and balcony too. But that’s all.

When we arrived the reception was very cold. Two girls took our references very curtly and gave us the keys. Despite the promises, in the room there was neither tea nor normal coffee. There was only decaffeinated one. Also we found a form to compile for the request of some services. Among these choices there was “Don’t clean my room, Give me other towels etc.” So we decided not to sign anything, in order to have a normal default service.

The next day, we returned at the afternoon and the room was exactly the same as we’ve left in the morning! Nobody did anything. Bed unmade. Bin with rubbish. Mugs dirty. Bathroom uncleaned. No new coffee or tea bags added. We became very angry about the matter, because never worldwide we have been treated in this way. So I went to the reception to complain about this and a woman that we’d never seen before (different from the girls of the check-in) explained me that they didn’t do anything because we didn’t mark any choice on the form.

So we point out that we’ve left unmarked also “Don’t clean my room”, that should mean “Clean my room”! Furthermore for such a really very high rate a whatever default service would be expected. The form cannot be an alibi not to make any work! So the woman apologized and hastened to clean our bin and to change the mugs, adding some new coffee (also normal this time, but not tea bags again). Meanwhile we'd made the bed by ourselves.

At last, the next morning, at our check-out, we went to the reception and we’ve found yet another girl that we’ve never seen before (different from the girls of the check-in, and from the woman of the complain). Anyway at the time of payment we pointed out about the problem of service, but the girl didn’t say anything, only “Okay”. She didn’t ask which was the problem or other. Nothing. We didn’t expect a discount, but at least more kindness and consideration.

Therefore, according to our experience, at The Inn at Tough City it seems that they don't care about client satisfaction at all. And considering also the extremely high rates, I strongly suggest you to avoid it.

2 Thank Alessandro V
Reviewed 14 August 2012 via mobile

The hotel was ill prepared for our stay. Not only was our room in the farthest basement (without elevator) but also lacked any comfort you would expect for the rather steep price. The room was not cleaned during our stay nor was any service from the hotel available. We were very diappointed and would not return.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helga B
Coaldale, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We enjoyed our 2 nights at the inn. It was clean and quiet, the view from out upper room was beautiful. I would recommend this place if you want a relaxing place to stay. There is a sushi restaurant at the hotel but we never ate there.

• Stayed August 2012
Inerleithen
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This is a great location just back from the water's edge on a slight rise and only one block from Tofino's main street (which to confuse isn't Main Street). We had a sea view room with great views up Clayoquot Sound. However when the sea mist rolled in the view disappeared and you were forced to consider what the room offered. Not much, two mismatched, albeit comfortable, beds and an old sideboard for storage, The staff were friendly and helpful but the hotel looked in need of some TLC. Disapointing

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple