“Sushi is Amazing, View is Relaxing”

The Inn at Tough City
Ranked #17 of 42 Tofino B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Sushi is Amazing, View is Relaxing”
Reviewed 23 March 2009

It's not a resort, but if you're looking for a place to kickback and take your shoes on the deck then this is the place. It's a unique hotel and loved the service. Especially Francine at the Front Desk. Room was OK. We stayed in room and it has a nice view of the bay.

The sushi at the Restaurant is to die for. Mmmmmmm. So buttery and fresh. The portions are perfect and quality is supreme. The Tsunami roll...has my heart for a very long time.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Fabulous view from some of the rooms but a somewhat quirky hotel with an owner who is also equally strange. Rooms are OK but you have to be willing to be a bit flexible on the standard of cleaniness

• Liked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2008

This was a cute little place and very enjoyable stay for us. It is centrally located in the town of Tofino and would require a car drive to reach major beaches in the area.

We found it to be clean, friendly, and good value for the money . Glad we stayed here instead of the Wick!. Crazy Ron was a hoot too!

• Liked — coziness
  • Stayed September 2004, travelled as a couple
Washington State
Reviewed 7 August 2007

Crazy Ron, the proprietor was definitely a jovial pirate in a former life. He is not for the weak at heart, but if you have an open mind and an adventure is what you seek, Crazy Ron will not disappoint. The sushi at his restaurant is top notch and If you are lucky, Crazy Ron just might tell you his Sasquatch story. One of the best I have every heard!

I recommend this place for those with an open mind and sense of humor!

• Liked — Best view in town with the craziest owner you will ever encounter!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Arbutus T
Socal, USA
Reviewed 5 September 2006

I just recently returned from Tofino and a three night stay at the Inn at Tough City. Tofino was the subject of a national Canadian news story as the town's water supply was decreasing to a level that precipitated business closings and mass confusion. It also exacerbated some fundamental problems with the Inn. I telephoned before I even got there and was assured that whle the shortage of water would be an issue the Inn would remain open. I had rented one room at 239 for the first night and a cheaper room with less of a view for 169 for the subsequent two nights. Even that was a little steep but I wanted to stay in town and this place looked reasonable on its website. I should have checked the Trip Advisor beforehand as I found most of the complaints to be legitimate.
My expensive room was on the waterfront with a view of the harbor. It was negatively impacted by the fact that the owners have nailed a banner advertising their sushi restaurant on the front of the balcony, obscuring the view when you are sitting on the balcony. About half of your vantage point is obscured by this sigh which is attached to the porch of the balcony. Idiotic and unnecessary.
The next day when I asked about transferring rooms, I was told "Don't worry, stay where you are. All rooms will be fifty per cent off". This because at this point it looked like the water shortage would force the owners to have you shower next door at their home and use a Port-O-Potty.
The city never shut off the water so this drastic impact never occurred but we were gien a flyer that told us to barely use the shower, Not use the sink water when brushing our teeth and so on. No ice machine access. Don't use your "soaker tub".
Other than making the bed and a very cursory cleaning of the bathroom, there was no real housekeeping. The bathroom floors and balcony hadn't been swept and the bathroom was pretty funky.
The kicker came when I checked out. It was a weekend so I got what was obviously a part time employee who was totally confused by my bill which was a handwritten scrawl that had been scratched out several times. The first call next door elicited the information that I was to be charged $229 for all three nights! Sorry, unacceptable. The desk clerk then walked over to the house next door and the new rate was 229 for the first night and 169 for the two subsequent nights, the original price before the difficulties with the water with no adjustment for the inconvenience and certainly any "fifty per cent off" now not in evidence.
I think that the fifty per cent off comment was made to insure that like most of the guests I wouldn't just cancel and leave. These folks just give an impression of being overly graspy and frankly a tad dishonest.
I was not surprised when I heard that the town had rejected a plan and tax hike in 2005 to upgrade the city's reservoir system. These folks seem to love the money that tourism brings in but they don't really understand that to run a first class operation you can't have a small town mentality. It's got the overall feel of a [--] venture that is really shortsighted. The Inn at Tough City has that quality in spades. It's not really a bad place but for the money and attitude I won't be back and it's not worth either the steep price or rough around the edges feel.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — the price
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank AlDowning

Travellers are raving about these Tofino hotels

British Columbia
Reviewed 22 August 2006

We came up on the Inn at Tough City as our last resort if we wanted to visit Tofino. We ended up staying in two different rooms (#3 & #4) and were happy with both. #4 was a bit more money, but definitely worth it as it had a wonderful view of the ocean and harbour. The bathroom was also a lot nicer. The only complaint that I have about the rooms is that there was nowhere to store any of our things- there aren't any dressers or anything with drawers. We were travelling with an infant and so the rooms seemed crowded because we couldn't really tuck anything away. If it were just my husband and I travelling, the rooms would have been spacious enough. Prior to going, we were concerned about the noise level coming from the restaurant, but didn't find it to be a problem. In room #3 (on the lower level), we could hear chairs scraping the floor upstairs, and in room #4 (on the top floor) some louder voices carried up to the room, but nothing that was disturbing. The restaurant closes at 10 anyways, so any noise being made in the restaurant is gone by the time you want to relax. When we go back to Tofino, we will book at a place that is beachfront (i.e. Pacific Sands), but for our first trip there, staying at the Inn allowed us to explore the town and drive out to the beaches.

• Stayed August 2006
4 Thank Mayasmum
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 November 2005

I had rainbows on my bed! Simply scrumptious!

Stayed August 2005