“Very Good Hostel. Owner/Manager Needs To Take It A Little Easier!”

HI-Tofino - Whaler’s on the Point Guesthouse
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Modern, well-furnished hostel – third best hostel I’ve ever been to (I’ve been to dozens). Well-equipped modern kitchen, spacious rooms with comfortable bunk beds, comfortable lounge area with view of the sea. It’s right in the centre of Tofino by the local amenities (bus station, supermarket, post office etc.) It’s also close to a number of good hikes. There is also a free pool table and table football table.

Whilst this hostel is run like a tight ship, the owner/manager is much more hostel focused than customer focused – i.e. he seemed frequently grumpy, argumentative to guests and staff - and quite frankly looking to make sure that everyone knew that he was the owner/manager even when there wasn’t any trouble. It’s not a party hostel and that’s fair enough, but it wouldn’t hurt to be a little more welcoming. In my opinion there is no need to know who the manager is in a hostel, unless…there is a problem.

Would I recommend this hostel? Yes, but I’d avoid booking too many nights in case, for example, you like a drink and fall foul of a rule or two and get kicked out without refund.
As an aside, at the time of writing, this hostel organizes no events or entertainment.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DannyOffer

Reviewed 9 October 2012

I will say that the lady we shared a table with one morning claims this is the best, cleanest hostel she's ever been to. I would agree it was clean and very attractive. My stays at hostels have been limited though and from a long time ago.
I was surprised at the number of middle aged people using the hostel. Most guests seemed to be young Europeans but there were some surprises. My kids were the only ones there.
There was a line up of people trying to register but the 2 staff members worked hard at getting people processed.
Big negative: the hostel was so packed (end of September) that cars were parked 3 deep and everyone had to leave their keys with the owner so that he could move them to let others out. My aunt was reluctant to do this, but we had no choice. Also, dining room was beyond capacity which to me is a complete turn off.
Had no trouble getting a shower in the evening (couldn't people NOT leave their clothes, etc. in the showers thus making us touch them to put them in the hallway???)
We had a 2 bunk bed private room with 2 piece washroom and it cost $140/night. It was quiet and warm and restful.
To be honest, it makes me want to barf when strangers leave food guck built up at the bottom of the sink after they clean their dishes. One of the 2 sinks seemed to be clogged with food waste at any time. I didn't like leaving my food in the massive refrigerators because I'm just really not that trusting. No one bothered our stuff though. I can't say hosteling is for me, but my aunt thought that the experience of getting to meet new people was positively joyful and she has bought a hosteling international membership for her and her husband. You go girl.

Room Tip: Choose a room as big and private as you can afford
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We went to this hostel on a whim because it was too rainy for camping. It was really nice and pretty decently priced. A dorm room for $40 but it only has 4 beds. Great common area, nice kitchen, and lots of resources. Within walking distance of Tofino's restaurants and stores. One of the nicest hostels we stayed in on our travels. Would definitely go back.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kat B
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The hostel is really cosy and has a nice atmosphere. There is a common kitchen, a bbq and they even have a sauna! The rooms are quite big and clean, so are the common washrooms. The location is also good. The view from the common room downstairs is amazing!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2012

the hostel was really nice, amazing view from the lounge, rooms are really big and clean!! they have a big kitchen, bbq area, sauna, parking lot...i would say the best what you can get for that price!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Despite being booked solid the manager let us and a couple of other travelers take lodging in their games room. They set up comfortable mattresses and linen and my buddy and I had a good night sleep. It was peak season and every other place in our price range was taken. The manager was particularly friendly and helpful the next day as well. Good people, I think.

Room Tip: Call ahead.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Great value compared to the other high priced options. My partner and I stayed here in a private room. There were many other private rooms which was great - uncommon for a hostel. Very very cleAn with great common area overlooking the ocean. Staff were very helpful. The only drag was a very small parking lot ... Had to double park and give staff your keys but in the ed, they had a good system and a very minor inconvenience. Was a little noisey the first night but I think that would be avoided with a diffrent room. See room suggestion below. Lots of diversity in other guests which was nice - lots of families, young people, older people, solo travelers, etc.

Overall, great value and very clean. Would stay again.

Room Tip: If you select a private room, I would advise to not select room M. It was beside the washrooms and a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple