“It is beautiful there, and we will be back.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tofino
African Beach Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #24 of 41 Tofino B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Traumatizing...??
I was hesitant to make reservations here after reading the "traumatizing" review. However, I went ahead with it anyway. Having just returned from the African Beach B&B this morning, I felt obliged to post here.
First off, no some of the windows don't have coverings but even the ones that do we never used. Who needs window coverings when you're surrounded by trees and dense forest? It was perfectly private and comfortable. We were not given a key nor did we ask for one. This can be a hard concept to grasp coming from a place like Vancouver but I find it comforting that there are still places left on the planet where locking your door is not a necessity.
As for the customer service, Baku the owner/operator was an excellent host. When we arrived, the front doors of his house were wide open, he was friendly and shook my hand before I even told him that I was the person who had reserved the cabin. He was extremely friendly and helpful. We were going to tell him not to worry about preparing us breakfast as my fiance has a serious food allergy. However, he went out of his way to prepare something delicious for her that she could eat which is something a lot restaurants can't even be bothered to do.
I looked into several different accommodations in Tofino. The African B&B was the best deal for the money I could find. To have a whole cabin to yourself, with a kitchen and breakfast included for $175 a night during peak season is something you wont find anywheres else in Tofino.
This is not a luxury resort, its a home away from home, which is exactly what we were looking for.
We would definitely recommend this place to anyone. The location, value, comfort, privacy, and service were all beyond our expectations.
If the "traumatizing" post made you think twice or gave you doubts about staying here then put them out of your mind.
Its beautiful there and we will be back.

Sal

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 June 2008

Want to stay in "the place to relax" go to this B&B and relax. Helpfull owner with a very friendly service. I will be back soon - to chill.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank millionstartraveler
Reviewed 24 February 2008

I have been coming to this place for 6 years now, first with my girlfriend, who became my fiance, and now with my wife and kids. I couldn’t think of a more relaxed place. The cabin is in the woods, for near complete privacy. There’s an outdoor shower to wash the sand off after a surf session. The beach access is right across the street. My young kids (4 & 5) love the freedom they can have there, the only concern with very young toddlers is the funky carved staircase and the pond on the other side of the owner’s house.

i have found the owner always helpful and courteous, assisting us with trip bookings and reservations, and letting us use the washer/dryer at his house (important with kids!). The cabin is rustic, in the best sense of the word, it’s not ‘luxury accomodation’, but comfortable, even cozy. Breakfast in the cabin, you can pick the time you have it. I found that unusual for a bed & breakfast, which i guess it is, despite feeling more like a vacation rental.

The kitchen is has no dishwasher, just a sink, and i wish there was a hot tub or a fireplace, but the lack of luxury is reflected in the price. In all the years i have stayed there, the price hasn’t gone up and i find it to be great value for a cabin at Chestermans Beach.

I wouldn’t recommend the place for 4 adults, we’ve stayed with another couple once and things can get crowded if you don’t feel like going outside on a rainy day. On the other hand my 22 year old nephew went with three surf buddies and was full of praise. I think it’s perfect for couples who want their peace and am looking forward to my next stay this summer.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MattfromDuncan
Reviewed 27 October 2007

I was so disappointed after reading a good review here of this place. I was in transit 7 hours from Vancouver in the rain to get there and was in desperate need of a washroom.

I got to the door and knocked and there was no answer although I had called ahead so the owner was expecting me. Standing in the rain I got a good look at the place and saw all the junk strewn about the house - certainly not what looked like the home of someone who cares about our planet and lives close to nature. I finally had to call on my cell phone and when I got the owner again he asked in a harsh tone, who I was. I explained I was the person who had booked his cabin, that I was at his door, and if he could please answer it.

He came out from the upstairs porch via the glass doors. We got to the cabin around the back and at first look, it seemed warm and inviting (same as the internet pictures indicate). He asked a lot of questions as to whether I’d even been to Tofino, where I was from and where I worked, etc. I was anxious to use the washroom so I was hopeful it would not take too long.

He finally left and I took a quick look around and thought the place was quite cute. I went to use the washroom but noticed there were no window coverings in the bathroom although it faces the neighbour’s house where they have a window directly looking into the bathroom! I was surprised and looked for a towel to hang up for some privacy but there was nothing to hang it on. I went into the living room and noticed there is not a curtain or window covering in the entire place! I had to take the couch pillows and stack them in the window. I figured I would make do with the situation as I'd had a long journey and just wanted to rest on my vacation. When I went to go out and lock the door, I noticed there was no door lock other than the little push in style that anyone with a knitting needle can open from the outside hole and there were elastic bands all around the inside to prevent someone from locking it. I was alarmed as I realized he'd not given me a key to the place and now I was unable to lock it. Night was settling in and I still had to drive to town to get cash, as he didn't take Visa.

I was surprised when I came to the glass doors to see he and his son were living in what appeared to be squalor. He had shirts hanging in the window on a rod and the place was a mess. He was sleeping on the couch after just having told me he would be up all night as he had missed the deadline to get the "Tofino Times" magazine published on time. His son was surprised and quickly stirred his father who got up and had a sour look on his face. I apologized for disturbing him and asked for the key to which he angrily replied, "There is no key! Didn't you say you've been to Tofino before!?? Where are you from again?"

This upset me as it was as if he was trying to shame me into accepting that this place that cost $135 a night didn't have a lock and was somehow an unreasonable request based on that I don't know Tofino or I must be from some place that doesn't get it. I was born and bred in Vancouver and lived there over thirty years and I have been visiting Tofino every year for at least a decade. Not that I find any of this relevant however I thought it was rich coming from this person from Africa, not even from my country yet talking down to me as though something was wrong with me. By the way, he was a white person from Africa, not black... and he was rather snobby for someone living in such poor conditions. I insisted I could not stay and that it was irrelevant where I am from and that yes, I had visited Tofino often to which he replied, "well haven't you noticed that no one locks anything around here?" to which I replied no, that I had not.

He stormed off angrily saying that he'd try to find one and made sure to let me know that I was the only person who required one in nine years and left me standing outside in the pouring rain to wait for him. Now that is what I call customer service!

It was at the point he came out with a key and said he'd try it to see if it works... that I decided I had made the wrong choice and that this certainly wasn't a place I felt welcome or safe at. I went to leave and at that point, someone else had come in the driveway and parked directly behind me, blocking me in. I went to find him and asked politely if he could move his vehicle and he snapped back at me, "Ya, can you give me a minute??!" I agreed and went to my car and started making calls on my cell phone for new accommodations.

Thankfully, there was availability in town. Once the van finally moved, I went to pull out and at that moment, the owner at my window asking me what I was doing. I told him I can't do it, I can't stay and that the whole experience was rather traumatizing to which he replied, "Yes, it was traumatizing." I tried to explain that I meant no offence but that I couldn't believe the way he spoke to me and that having a key to the place would be such a big deal... and I drove away feeling so thankful to be as far away from there as I could. It was a horrible experience and I would strongly warn anyone from thinking of staying there, to not stay there. This is not a gem in the woods with an owner like that. I travel a lot and have stayed in all kinds of places such as a shack with no running water/electricity and I have also stayed in world class resorts and never in my life have I been treated so poorly at an accommodation as I was that day. Be forewarned – stay away or you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
11  Thank I-Do-World-Travel
A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, AB
Reviewed 3 March 2004

My wife and I found this hidden gem quite by accident: The African Beach cabin across the street from Chesterman Beach. Though billed as a Bed and Breakfast, this is actually a self contained cabin, hidden away in the forest behind the host's house on Lynn Road. The cabin is built with rough cedar and some charming driftwood touches and we were very comfortable. Nicely decorated with African art (hence the odd name), adequate kitchen and bathroom and a queen bed in the upstairs loft. The clincher for us (apart from being allowed to bring our dog) was the divine breakfast delivered in the morning at a time of our choice! If you like to sleep in on your vacation, value your privacy and don't want to pay for a beach view, I highly recommend it and will definitely come back in the summer for a longer stay.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member