“Rainy Weekend Getaway”

Ocean Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We loved this place! Our one bedroom cottage was perfect for our family: two adults, a 4 1/2 year old and our giant yellow Labrador. We were met with a lovely doggy welcome package; the staff and facilities were excellent; and the beach - thank you Mother Nature!!! Despite the on and off rain, we had two campfires on the beach right in front of our cottage. Note to hikers: there is NO LIGHTHOUSE at the end of the Tofino Lighthouse Trail!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Girl-with-no-name
Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Ocean Village and had a great time! After a few friends told us about the place we thought we'd check it out next time we made it to Tofino. We're so glad we did cause we found it to be the perfect spot to kick back and relax! The location is very central with the beaches on one side and town on the other, everything seemed super close. We stayed in an Upper Studio which was well equipped, extremely clean and cozy, and had a lovely view of the ocean. The amenities on site were also great! The salt water pool and hot tub were an added bonus after a chilly surf and the BBQ area was a fantastic option to grill up a quick dinner. We're pretty laid back travellers who usually keep to ourselves but we found the staff were very friendly, outgoing and clearly hardworking. Service was very genuine and helpful, the girls at the front desk were kind enough to recommend a few local eateries which we enjoyed thoroughly. Check in and out were a breeze which is appreciated after a long journey and when you're headed back to catch the ferry. We would definitely stay here again and will be thanking our friends for the recommendation, as well as telling others!

1  Thank wanderer130
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My Wife and I were looking for a nice 2 day getaway for Thursday, November 14th and 15th 2013. I called Jamie at Ocean Village on Wednesday mid afternoon to enquire about rates. I asked if they had vacancy for the dates requested which they did. I mentioned that we had a hypoallergenic small indoor dog and was also looking for a friends and family rate or best rate available since they had rooms to sell. She wasn't sure what she could do for us. I gave her our phone number and asked her to please let us know. I did not receive a call back and the following day we headed out for Tofino. We arrived at the Information Centre in Tofino and they called Ocean Village for us. Apparently they had an 8 hour power outage and she wasn't able to call us back, however, she didn't even remember me calling ?? After negotiating rates back and forth with her, she offered us a rate of $119.00 plus tax which included our pet instead of charging the $20 per night pet fee. We accepted and drove over. When we arrived, Jamie said that she could not offer the room without charging the $20 pet fee. The rate she offered was $124 plus $20 pet fee. The internet rate was $119.00. I felt taken advantage of and the staff there didn't seem to care. I had managed hotels for 21 years plus and I have never encountered this before. We quietly left and stayed elsewhere enjoying our 2 days at another Beachfront Resort who valued our business during the shoulder and or off season. I'm sure that if we were treated fairly, we would have stayed and enjoyed it very much. The Beach and views are spectacular. One word of advice for the staff, if you offer a rate to your guests, you should stick to it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Steve P
Shanejon, General Manager at Ocean Village Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I'd like to point out that our receptionist Jaime is a fantastic employee. I regularly receive positive feedback about her efforts from guests and staff alike.

Ocean Village offers some of the most affordable beachfront rates in Tofino. Like most resorts we have non-negotiable pet fees regardless of size and coat. I'm sorry if that wasn't communicated clearly to you at the information centre, and I apologize for any confusion over the nightly rate.

We certainly value our guests, no matter what time of year.

Again I do apologize about your experience, if you would like to continue this discussion please feel free to contact me directly at shane@oceanvillageresort.com

Regards,
Shane Richards

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was our third stay in about four years. It was a family event for our wedding and booked six one bedroom cabins for our adult children for varying amounts of time. Our stay was ten days. These are great little cozy cabins and you can't find anything much closer to the beach in Tofino. No TV and that's just fine. Maybe bring a radio to listen to Long Beach radio (90.1 FM) - a gem of a small town radio station. The cabin is not what you could call "plush" but it lacks nothing- clean and comfortable and fully equipped kitchen set-up. If you want plush, check into a Fairmont for big dollars, I guess. Ocean Village is priced right and everyone we hosted was very happy with their stay
Friendly, attentive hard working staff. Beautifully maintained grounds. The public barbecue area has two large commercial type barbecues which we didn't use but will try another time. One disappointment - tried to reserve for a week at Christmas but no 1BR cabin available. Darn!!!
WE WILL BE BACK FOR SURE.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank john w
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was one of the highlights of our 2 month trip to Canada. We were in a 1 bedroom cabin situated right on the beach and had the most amazing view. It was very cosy, particularly on a cold rainy evening sitting on the couch beside the fireplace and looking out at the ocean. The cabin was very comfortable and quiet and located a short drive from the village and a number of tourist activities and also handy to hiking trails within the national park. Would recommend it for a quiet relaxing getaway or base for hiking the trails in the area

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed for three nights (Oct 19-22) in a cottage (#49) at Ocean Village, and loved it. It is a low-key, friendly environment; the grounds are immaculate. The cottage itself was very well-laid out, considering that it is quite small - there was storage room to put away clothes, sufficient space in the bathroom, and hooks by the door for coats etc. The kitchen in particular had everything one might need for a multi-day stay - much better equipped than I have seen elsewhere, even at "higher end" resorts. On-demand hot water, which ensured warm showers for both of us. The resort provides shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and dishsoap made by Sea Wench, which is all botanical and smells wonderful! (You can purchase products from the office.). We had difficulty with the Wifi - our laptop would load one page, but stall on the second - however, we didn't care much, as we brought board games to occupy us when we weren't out walking the beaches. The units are close together, and if you have loud neighbours, you can sometimes hear them vaguely through the walls, but everyone was good about observing quiet hours.

We had minimal interaction with staff, but found that everyone we did talk to was very friendly and accommodating, even when we had to cancel one of our nights at the last minute due to weather related delays.

The resort is about a five-minute drive to Tofino, and less than 10 from Long Beach and other walking trails, so a great central location. Mackenzie Beach is quite lovely, and a nice length for a morning or evening walk. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Cottages are about 15 feet from the beach, but all units are within a one minute walk. Choose upper...
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My Wife and I just spent two nights here [15-17 Oct/13] We stayed in cabin # 15, in the upper portion of the cabin. The cabin was comfortable and well laid out. The views from the balcony were wonderful, from sea fog mornings to pink hues in the sky at sunset. The beach was beautiful, lots of friendly people walking or playing with their dogs. The facility is pet friendly, we saw so many breeds. The ocean is a real treat for them. The grounds are very well maintained and I picked up a few ideas for my next rock garden project. Gas BBQ's are provided in a common area, recommend using them as we found food pricey in restaurants. Also if you drink your coffee with crème or sugar, bring your own as neither is provided. To conclude, we had a wonderful time in Tofino seeing the sights and would return to the Ocean Village Resort again, possibly staying in a cabin directly on the beach.

Cheers, Jimmy and Virginia.

Room Tip: Prefer a top floor, better view and no noise from above.
1  Thank Jimbo J