“Better than I expected!”

Ocean Village Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
BC
“Better than I expected!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

OCEAN VILLIAGE RESORT
Stayed at the Ocean Villiage Beach resort. I was kind of expecting to be roughing it a little with these little log cabins but they really had everything I wanted or needed, inlucluding laundry which came in handy when my son got his only hoodie dirty. The kitchen had everything you would need and they can even get you a crab pot if you get a crab there. The dishes were not the cheezy mismatched kind but a nice set from Ikea.
We were in a single cabin right along the beach and really, it was the best place to be on all of Mackenzie beach. The other places were farther from shore and none were as close as we were. I enjoyed our single room cottage because it was so quiet and when we opened the sliding glass door we could hear the waves crashing. I woke up once in the night and thought to myself "This place is so quiet". Had a great sleep there. Bed was a little soft for me but my husband liked it. Nice clean bedding and a nice new couch for my son to sleep on (pull out bed)
They provide shampoo, conditioner and body/shower gel from Sea Wench which I think is a local company. IT is botanical and smells awesome. I think you can buy it in the lobby area too! There was also a hairdyer.

We brought our dog because the new owners allowed us to. Best $40 we ever spent. Our dog had the BEST vacation ever because she loves to be off leash and although there are laws (Im sure) about dogs being leashed on the beach, most were not and were running free. Looked like everyone did their part to pick up dog doo because the beach was so clean! All the dogs there seemed well behaved too. Our dog was so tired at the end of the night that she couldnt even move from her bed ( we brough her bed with us).

Loved the free internet access to check up on life once in a while but I also liked the NO TV thing. It even worked with our son who found other things to keep him occupied like drawing what he saw and trying to draw the various totem poles he saw around Tofino.

From what I read from other reviewees, they said that some of the rooms are dated. I think they are working on this although I find it hard to have an OUTDATED log cabin. The couch was new, the bedsheets were new and the bathroom was plain but good. This is a CABIN people! There will be no stainless steel fridges here or even granite countertops!. I saw them always working on the places though and found it to be immaculately clean.

The swimming pool was great after a day on the beach. It was heated and at a great temperature. The hottub was very HOT but close to the pool so you could watch your kids from there (if they are good swimmers that is). The changing rooms were clean and modern.

TOFINO
We took our bikes to Chestermans beach and it was the coolest beach ever! There were no hotels or cabins along Chestermans beach except the hoity toity hotel which seemed very upscale. We rode our bikes along the beach and that was the coolest thing ever! That was, where it seemed, a lot of the Surfing and Surf classes were done. You have to take a drive to see it when you are there.

Tofino is not an upscale place. Casual wear is what it is all about. My fancy blouses never got worn. What I didnt expect was the weather. We came from mainland Vancouver where it was 25-28 degrees so I packed a lot of tank tops and shorts and sun dresses. Stupid me. I was in my long pants and hoodie for most of the days as it was chilly (16 degrees). Seems we missed the hot weather and I didnt realize that Tofino's weather is so temperamental!
BRING WARM CLOTHES and some summer clothes too.

Not to far from our hotel was a little Surfer's market. IT was about a 7 minute walk from the Ocean Villiage. There was a very small but quaint grocery store selling apples at $1.35 a pound which is about what you get it for where Im from.
They even had organic coffee, microwave popcorn etc. Nice and convenient! Then we ate at the Wildside Grill which is an outdoor take-out place without take out prices. It is a little pricey but it sells the freshest fish EVER~! I bought an Oyster Burger there and if you like fried oysters you will LOVE this sandwich. YUM! My son ate all his fish and chips but they had no kids menu ($13).
We also tried the less take-out type place called the Shelter Restaurant that was very good but also pricey (there is nothing really cheap in Tofino). They do have a "casual" menu that is cheaper and we got the Teryaki Bowl for $14. It was very good! They DID have a kids menu.

You have to try the Crab when you are there. We bought one from a lady's house (there was a sign of a crab and the word OPEN next to it) and they were $10 for a smaller one and $13 for a huge one. They were fantastic and she even cleans it for those of us who are a little squeamish.

Overall Tofino was more than I expexted. The sunsets were fantastic and the people were very laidback. I didnt see a LOT of kids there, but there was a lot for them to do and explore. It was a very relaxing and laid back vacation and we plan to go again.

WE took a trip to Ucluelet which is worth the drive if you are there for a few days. There was a great lighthouse to see and the villiage is quite cute too.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Czech first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

Charming units, very clean, friendly staff, breathtaking sunsets! My family enjoyed exploring the beach and surrounding rocks for lots of interesting marine life like starfish and sea ammeninies. We stayed in a lower duplex unit and our 2 teens slept on the single couches in the living room area. Days can be cooler there so bring a lot of warm clothing. The pool and hot tub were ideal for the times you wanted to warm up from the cold ocean! Tofino and Uclulet are charming towns to explore. Lots of great walking/nature trails. We had a great experience!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank kitkat42
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

Staying at the Ocean Village was an unexpected surprise to our long weekend in Tofino. We had previously booked accommodation at another hotel in town thinking thinking that it would be more convenient to everything. The B&B we were at was not comfortable at all. We decided to ask around for other accommodation for the duration of the trip and some locals recommended the Ocean Village. We decided to take a drive there (5 minutes from town) and check it out. The resort is so cute! Duplex style cabins all made of cedar at a very affordable price, and right on Mackenzie Beach!! Every room has an ocean view. And the sunsets... The most spectacular sunset i have ever seen in Canada, or anywhere. The staff at the resort was phenomenal. Everyone was so accommodating and nice.
Other bonuses to the resort is the indoor heated pool and jacuzzi. Also it is one of the only (if not the only) eco-friendly resorts in the area. It is so nice to have all the luxuries you are looking for in a vacation as well as doing your part to help the environment. Double the rewards while on holiday.
Loved our stay at the Ocean village resort and it will be our first choice for our next trip to Tofino.

Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed for three nights.
I was recommended to us both.
The upgrades are fantastic.
A great new, indoor pool.

Location is perfect.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2010

This was my 5th time staying at Ocean Village Resort and I will definitely be back again!! It's my favourite place to stay in Tofino with it's A-frame cabins right on the beach. Such a great place to wake up to and the sunsets at night are amazing. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Overall, another positive experience!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

I just returned from 5 nights at Ocean Village with friends and I gotta say, we loved it. Great value compared to other beachfront spots in the area. Excellent location on MacKenzie Beach. We stayed in a 2 bedroom cottage directly on the beach - I've never slept so well in my life! So nice to wake up to the sounds of waves on the beach and birds chirping. The architecture has a real old school charm. Also the staff was super helpful with questions. Will definitely come back to Ocean Village next year.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

You are paying for location when staying at Ocean Village. The resort is situated right on MacKenzie Beach, a lovely walking beach (and playing beach for those with munchkins).

We have stayed at Ocean Village a number of times, but had begun to feel, that despite the wonderful location, the accommodation was becoming “tired” and did not represent good value for the increasing amount of money we were spending. We therefore took a break and stayed elsewhere for a while.

However, we returned recently on a mid-week trip and noticed a number of welcome changes. Some of these changes seemed to predate the recent sale of the resort. However, there was much activity going on and the place generally looked more “spruced up” . We stayed in an upper “ocean view” unit in the middle group of two-story units and had a wonderful view. Our unit had been refurbished and felt “brighter” than in the past. We noticed this improvement in the bathroom in particular.

The room was very clean when we checked in. Although there was little in the way of service while we were there, it wasn’t really necessary for two adults on a mid-week break.

On the whole, the resort would still be described as “rustic”. Summer rates might seem a bit high for the type of accommodation. However, there are some good rates to be had during “storm season” for longer stays and they do have a seniors’ rate. As well, we are aware that oceanfront resorts are generally expensive in the Tofino area. When you look out the window at sunset, or any time of day for that matter, you understand what you are paying for.